ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does your degree meet the B1 requirement?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

hariff_m
Newly Registered

Masters degree obained in 2004 from the University of Greenw

Post by hariff_m » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:30 pm

Gents,

I just want to clarify. I got my masters degree in mechanical engineering from the university of Greenwich. 2004 pass out. Does that mean i don't need to take a test again and my qualification is good enough!!!

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:43 pm

The UK degree and LIUK should suffice KoLL.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

john353

Post by john353 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:37 am

I had emailed settlement policy team at SettlementOpsPolicy@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk earlier this week to double check regarding validity of certificate from the University stating that the degree was taught in English for KOLL (if points are not awarded in PBS calculator). Copied below the reply from KnowledgeOfLifePolicyQueries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk which confirms that a statement of comparibility + letter from university is sufficient

Quote:
Dear Sir,
I can confirm that a certificate from the University stating that the degree was taught in English would be acceptable evidence that the English language level element of the KOLL requirement has been met. It is also acceptable to submit evidence from the PBS calculator, where the degree has been awarded 10 points for English language. Please see sections 5 and 6 of the attached spreadsheet.

I trust this answers your questions.
Regards
Ann Woodall | Nationality Operational Policy| Operational Policy & Rules Unit|Immigration and Border Policy Directorate | Home Office

s_saini
India

Post by s_saini » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:49 am

Hi

I found more clarity for English requirement for settlements. Qualification which awards points on point based calculator is fine. Please check these lines on the bellow link.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... set/set17/

Check Question "SET17.8 What is the definition of a degree taught in English?"
and read the last lines of the Answer.

"ECOs may find the English Skills section of the PBS Points Calculator helpful when deciding whether a qualification meets the criteria for the English language requirement".

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:23 pm

I am sorry for arriving late to this as I had almost forgotten I was due for ILR in Feb 14 ;-)

I have a questions and simply put, something that has been asked but I see no concrete answers, or should i say, all responses are worded politically correct. I would appreciate if someone could come back in layman's terms :-)

I have done BE (bechloer of Engg) in India (2003)
In UK under T1, was awarded English language points with my initial application (march 2008) well as extension (march 2011) based on my degree
My partner has a degree in Architecture, taught in English but never had to prove her english abilities until now, as she has been on T1 dependent.

Questions -

Do I need to sit in another time wasting/money making exams set by UKBA?
Do my partner needs to do as above too?

LIUK prep is under way and would be cleared in due course before I'm advised of :-)

Thanks in advance

Best
An [Expensive] Immigrant journey has ended 19/08/2015. Good luck to you all out there...

Damanisshallo
Respected Guru

Post by Damanisshallo » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:38 pm

raxs1983 wrote:I am sorry for arriving late to this as I had almost forgotten I was due for ILR in Feb 14 ;-)

I have a questions and simply put, something that has been asked but I see no concrete answers, or should i say, all responses are worded politically correct. I would appreciate if someone could come back in layman's terms :-)

I have done BE (bechloer of Engg) in India (2003)
In UK under T1, was awarded English language points with my initial application (march 2008) well as extension (march 2011) based on my degree
My partner has a degree in Architecture, taught in English but never had to prove her english abilities until now, as she has been on T1 dependent.

Questions -

Do I need to sit in another time wasting/money making exams set by UKBA?

Apparently, If you've proved this in your previous applications, then you do not need to prove it again.

Do my partner needs to do as above too?

Read this post

LIUK prep is under way and would be cleared in due course before I'm advised of :-)

Thanks in advance

Best
Statutory Warning:Members are advised to make thorough inquiries before acting upon any description displayed on my behalf.
Skydrives, Templates

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:42 pm

Cheers pal. It is crystal clear yet reading some of the posts within this thread, volcano of doubts still exist :-) I have emailed HO, will wait for the response.
Ta
An [Expensive] Immigrant journey has ended 19/08/2015. Good luck to you all out there...

Rain

Post by Rain » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:01 pm

For BC NARIC comparability for bachelors + letter from uni is enough as per 2.2 (a) section v. People have posted emails from HO confirming this.Whats the confusion ?

kvora

Clarification

Post by kvora » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:47 pm

Dear Gurus,

I have read all the threads and it is extremely useful as most of us do not know where to go and find out the latest updates. Most of the posts have been in relation to Tier 1 candidates who must have satisfied the English Language requirement during EC. However, I entered the country as a student and was on work permit since 2007. In 2011, I changed employer so I had to extend my visa under Tier 2 and I again renewed in June 2013. But I didn't had to show English Language requirement during any of my previous applications to UKBA. I would be grateful to you if one of the guru can clarify some of my queries below:
1. Can I rely on the outcome of the PBS calculator and use that as the evidence for English language requirement, if so, is there a link/document on UKBA website to confirm the same.
2. I am my wife both have UK Naric Statement of comparability statements, however, one of ours was done in 2005 and the other as recently as 2012. Can they be used as evidence of degrees taught (in India) are at B1 level or above.
3. Finally, I sat IELTS way back in 2000. Can I still use that as evidence of English language requirement if the above two are not accepted?

Apologies for such a long post, just wanted to give you as much info as possible. Any response will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kunal

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:53 pm

An expired IELTS can be used for settlement so far as it meets the requirement of B1 or above. The NARIC statements do not expire and if the requisite points are awarded on the PBS calculator that would also suffice.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

kvora

Thanks

Post by kvora » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:05 pm

Hi Amber,

Many thanks for your prompt response. Is there anywhere stated on UKBA website that PBS calculator printout should suffice as long as the qualification is granted 10 points. Not questioning your knowledge, but I am about to spend £5k and I would not want the HO staff to reject my family's application because they are not familiar with all the recent updates.

Many thanks,
Kunal

Damanisshallo
Respected Guru

Post by Damanisshallo » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:19 am

Statutory Warning:Members are advised to make thorough inquiries before acting upon any description displayed on my behalf.
Skydrives, Templates

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:24 am

Damanisshallo wrote:The news about how an applicant can use the Points Calculator is now published on UKBA's website.

kvora

Post by kvora » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:09 pm

Thanks guys. That link takes me to the webpage on UKBA website related to naturalisation. Does the same apply for settlement?

Damanisshallo
Respected Guru

Post by Damanisshallo » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:23 am

read it under settlement click the link English language qualification
Skydrives, Templates

kvora

Post by kvora » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:24 pm

Many thanks for the link. You have put my mind to peace.

theprideofpak

Re: Does your degree meet the B1 requirement?

Post by theprideofpak » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:47 pm

A letter confirming success in the life in the UK Test, stamped and signed by the Test Supervisor; and either
A certificate showing that you have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification; or
If you have a degree taught in English:
A printout from the points-based calculator confirming the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English; or
If your degree is not on the points-based calculator, an original letter and/or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of the qualification, and an original letter from the university or awarding institution on official headed paper confirming your name, the title of the degree, and showing the qualification was taught in English
; or
A certificate from the university or awarding institution on official headed paper confirming that the qualification was taught or researched in a majority English speaking country (other than Canada); or
If you are awaiting graduation, or no longer have your certificate and cannot get a new one, you must send either:
an original academic reference from the institution awarding the academic qualification, that is on official letter headed paper and shows your name and the title of the award. The letter should also explain when the academic qualification was, or will be awarded; and state either the date (if you have not yet graduated) that the certificate will be issued, or confirms that the institution is unable to re-issue the original certificate of award; or
an original academic transcript that is on official letter-headed paper and shows your name, the name of the academic institution, the course title, and confirmation of the award; or

This is taken from the link : http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... ification/

Dagandhi
Newly Registered

Post by Dagandhi » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:24 am

Hi

Pls help me out
I came to uk 20 jan 2009 dependent (Hsmp)
I got ILR on 18 August 2012
I got Life in the uk on 12 march 2012
My husband got British citizen on 26 sep 2013

Now I would like to apply for naturalisation
My query is regarding English test

I have bachelors degree from India and I got uknaric English language assessment c1

Is it sufficient to apply?

Pls guide me as I have ncs appointment on this Friday.

Pls help me asap

gg1001

Post by gg1001 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:54 pm

hi pls can any gurus pls clarify

as per my understanding and the moderators comments I have seen the pbs calculator will only award 10points for English if naric believe that the degree was taught in English otherwise I will just give u 30points for education but no points for English...........I have got so many friends who got masters degree and the calculator is giving 30points for qualification but giving 0 points for English mostly Pakistan university degrees............

so I strongly understand if u got 10points for English in calculator with original degree its more than sufficient.....

I have so many ppl here getting ilr just by attaching pbs printout with original degree and haven't seen anybody rejected because he hasn't got the letter from the university that the degree was taught in English.

correct me if I am wrong

thnks

Dagandhi
Newly Registered

Post by Dagandhi » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:06 pm

Thank you so much for your great help.

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:10 pm

Dagandhi wrote:Thank you so much for your great help.
contact home office personally on
KnowledgeOfLifePolicyQueries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
=======================
Every cloud has silver lining
=======================

gg1001

Post by gg1001 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:10 am

hi Yasa,

Sorry may be I am missing something but even the reply received from HO which you have mentioned ......

"Regardless of the fact that the degree was awarded 35 points by the points calculator, unless it has been awarded an additional 10 points for English language, , the print out would not be acceptable as evidence that the degree was taught in English. The applicant could request an English Language Assessment from UK NARIC, or provide a letter from the university, on official letter headed paper, stating that the medium of study was English."

It clearly states that if u get 10 points on the calculator that its fine and "if only u get the 35 points for qualification only and not 10 points for English" then the applicant could request an English Language Assessment from UK NARIC, or provide a letter from the university, on official letter headed paper, stating that the medium of study was English

That's what I am trying to prove that if u have 10points of English that only the printout will suffice

what about another reply from HO "https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... 20V2.0.pdf" which clearly states
"NARIC regularly update the online points based calculator (which is on our website) with information about various degrees. If you obtained a degree overseas and were awarded ten points for English language skill, you can submit evidence from the online points calculator, together with the original degree certificate, to demonstrate that you can satisfy the English language element of the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KOLL) requirement."
& another case of success where the applicant just used the undergraduate degree which was on pbs calculator without any letters from university

"http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... 57203.html"

and if u wana be on safe side then there is no end to the no of docs u can put with the application.

thnks hope this clarifies

davesam00
Newly Registered

Re:

Post by davesam00 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:31 pm

Amber_ wrote:The letter from the University (on official paper) and the NARIC statement of comparability will suffice the new additional requirement.
Hi Amber,

My wife is applying for FLR(M). I got my ILR last week. She has a bachelor's degree from India taught in English. Same PBS situation where Qualification section scores 30 points and ENglish language scores 0 points.

I do not have a letter from Uni confirming on official letterhead that medium instruction was English but on rear side of each year's "Statement of Marks" it notes that "Medium of Instruction is English".

Will above suffice with statement of comparability from NARIC?

Thanks, S

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:35 am

I would say yes.

salloo

Post by salloo » Thu May 01, 2014 10:44 am

I just updated my other thread after reading this one. Please correct me if I'm still not on right track.
salloo