ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Am I eligible for dual nationality? EU & AU

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

brk93
Newly Registered

Am I eligible for dual nationality? EU & AU

Post by brk93 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:56 am

Hi everyone!

Just an enquiry about dual nationality, & whether I'd be eligible or not?

I was hoping someone on here could help me out or could point me in the right direction of someone who can. I am a 20yr old Australian citizen and am planning on travelling through Europe next year, and hopefully stopping to work in the UK at some point. I know that I am able to obtain a working-holiday visa, but I would like to possibly stay for longer than the 2 years. Also, my partner lives in Norway (& is a Norwegian citizen), so it would be really great if I could live in work in EU indefinitely without a one-off visa.

Both of my biological parents are Australian-born citizens, but my step-dad is a British citizen & Australian Resident, with all of his family living in England. My mothers father (my grandfather, who has passed on now) was born in the Netherlands to Dutch parents, but acquired Australian citizenship through naturalisation. I don't know if that makes any difference, but it means I have biological family & my step-family in Europe.

My question is, am I eligible for any dual nationality in EU through my step-dad or my grandfather? And if not, what would be the best visa, and way to go about this?

Thank you!
- Brooke

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:41 pm

If it is still possible for your step dad to legally adopt you, then you get his citizenship as his adopted child (you might lose inheritance rights from your natural father and his family so this is not to be undertaken lightly).

There is a strong possibility that you are a Dutch citizen - apply and see what happens - I am not an expert on Dutch citizenship - it might be best for your mum to get her Dutch citizenship first, then you apply as the child of a Dutch citizen? If you are in a hurry, apply yourself for Dutch citizenship and see what happens.

Be advised that you may want to apply soon - some countries require you to apply for/confirm citizenship before age 21 so you may need to apply fast - not sure on Dutch rules for a grandchild. It is very complex.

I don't suppose you have a grandparent born in Ireland - if you do citizenship of Ireland is easy to get and gives full rights to work in any EU country.
BL

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:51 pm

I have to make some assumptions here, but I don't think the Dutch route via your grandfather looks feasible.
By acquiring Australian citizenship he lost his Dutch citizenship automatically, and if your mother was born after that, she has in fact never held Dutch citizenship.

However, the law on Dutch citizenship has changed many times over the years, and to be sure, you have to know which version of the law was in force at the time when a relevant event happened.

You can enquire with the Dutch embassy in Australia for more detailed information; you will then need to provide them with the following information:
- when did your grandfather become Australian citizen
- when was your mother born
- when did your mother marry (your father, I presume)
- when were you born
You may be lucky, but my guess is your chances are very slim on this side

brk93
Newly Registered

Re: Am I eligible for dual nationality? EU & AU

Post by brk93 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:08 am

Brigid from Ireland wrote:If it is still possible for your step dad to legally adopt you, then you get his citizenship as his adopted child (you might lose inheritance rights from your natural father and his family so this is not to be undertaken lightly).

I don't suppose you have a grandparent born in Ireland - if you do citizenship of Ireland is easy to get and gives full rights to work in any EU country.
Thanks Brigid,
I have actually looked a little bit into the adoption idea, but since my step-dad is an Australian Permanent Resident (not a citizen) he can't adopt me in AU (I also think because I'm over 18 AU does not allow adult adoptions.) There would be the same problem with him adopting me through UK paperwork, it would not be permitted because I'm not a UK citizen and he is.

Unfortunately, no immediate family members from Ireland haha, but that would be great!

Hi Fysicus,
I think you're right as to the Dutch route via my Grandfather. I don't think it's feasible for all of these reasons.

Perhaps I will have to look into the possibility of getting UK residency (& therefore having the same travel rights in EU as a UK national). Does anyone know if this would be possible via a sort of sponsorship or guarantor-type status from one of my step-family members in the UK? I read somewhere that if they can show they can support you financially if you're unable, and you won't receive any Gov help, you can do this. But I really don't know.

Thanks heaps for your input!
- Brooke