ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PROCESS OF APPLYING FOR AN EEA FP FROM NETHERLANDS

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Rozen
Diamond Member

PROCESS OF APPLYING FOR AN EEA FP FROM NETHERLANDS

Post by Rozen » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:48 pm

When I applied for a UK Visa from The Netherlands a couple of years ago it was all pretty straightforward...

Apply online and book an appointment at the British Consulate in Amsterdam for biometrics and presentation of documents. While there you were asked to self address an envelope in which the passport would be couriered back to the applicant when a decision was made. A couple of days later I received my passport back, with the visa having been issued in DUSSELDORF, GERMANY!

Fast forward a few years later (June 2013)... The process has changed.

After filling in the EEA FP application online you are re-directed to Worldbridge website, where you complete your details and are given an option to choose a date for an appointment to have your biometrics taken at the so called Mobile Biometric Clinic in Amsterdam.

Once biometrics are done, you are given a UKBA addressed envelope in which you must put your application and supporting documents and POST IT YOURSELF to UKBA in CROYDON! They advise trusted couriers like DHL (which will cost you about 60 euros from here) and then it’s a waiting game from thereon in.

To be fair to UKBA, my EEA Permit was decided in one day and I got my documents back via DHL in less than a week.

But I do think it’s quite an expensive and long-winded way of doing things when they have a consulate here in Amsterdam which was directly dealing with visa issues before.

As for the Mobile Biometric Clinic, it’s free if you are applying an EEA FP. Otherwise you will have to pay a fee in excess of 100 euros for your biometrics… ON TOP OF THE VISA FEE! :shock:

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:07 pm

This is a very interesting post. Thanks for making it.

It is indeed a pity that it becomes more difficult to apply for a visa.

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:44 pm

By coincidence I sent a complaint to SG-PLAINTES@ec.europa.eu a few weeks ago, as the sort of hurdles described by OP constitute in many cases a very big hidden cost for the applicant (although technically the visa itself is issued free of charge, as Directive 2004/38 prescribes), and in some cases that can easily be prohibitive.
On http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucit ... /applying/ I could also not find anything how the EEA FP procedure is accelerated in comparison with other visa applications.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:55 pm

A quick look at some of the published processing times in certain VACs would tend to suggest that there is no particular acceleration.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... ing-times/

oluska2004
Newly Registered

Post by oluska2004 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:37 am

Did you receive an email first that your visa was issued and the tracking number for DHL service or you find out about your visa processing time after you have received your passport back?

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:41 pm

oluska2004 wrote:Did you receive an email first that your visa was issued and the tracking number for DHL service or you find out about your visa processing time after you have received your passport back?
I sent my documents via DHL, so I know exactly when the item was received by UKBA. The Permit was issued the following day after receipt (as could be seen when I got my passport back).

No, I didn't get any confirmation email from UKBA.

agent2857
Newly Registered

Post by agent2857 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:59 pm

Hi Rozen
I went through the exact procedure as you did. Did my biometrics in Tallinn, Estonia and was given an envelope to send the documents to Croydon. I sent them on the 30th of August and were received on the 2nd of September. Still waiting.
What documents did you attach? Did they send your marriage certificate back?

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:30 pm

agent2857 wrote:I went through the exact procedure as you did. Did my biometrics in Tallinn, Estonia and was given an envelope to send the documents to Croydon. I sent them on the 30th of August and were received on the 2nd of September. Still waiting.
Can you please walk me through exactly how this works.

Where are you physically?
Which embassy did you apply to?
Where were the biometrics taken?
Did they have you send the documents to Croydon, and if so how much did it cost?
Any other charges or costs associated with the application?
Do you have to go back to the embassy to receive the passport back?

agent2857
Newly Registered

Post by agent2857 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:48 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
agent2857 wrote:I went through the exact procedure as you did. Did my biometrics in Tallinn, Estonia and was given an envelope to send the documents to Croydon. I sent them on the 30th of August and were received on the 2nd of September. Still waiting.
Can you please walk me through exactly how this works.

Where are you physically?
Which embassy did you apply to?
Where were the biometrics taken?
Did they have you send the documents to Croydon, and if so how much did it cost?
Any other charges or costs associated with the application?
Do you have to go back to the embassy to receive the passport back?
I am physically in Tallinn, Estonia.
I had an appointment with Worldbridge on the 30th of September. They have clinics here in Tallinn every alternate Friday. Worldbridge took my biometrics and had everything recorded on video.
After the biometrics were taken I was given an envelope with the UKBA address for Croydon on it and told to send the documents within 3 working days using the safest and quickest possible method.
For the appointment I had to pay 24 euros so that my passport can be returned to me by DHL. I decided to send the documents by DHL and that cost us an extra 45 euros.
They said they will deliver the passport to the address I indicated when ordering the appointment with worldbridge. So I guess I don't have to go and collect it.

agent2857
Newly Registered

Post by agent2857 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:44 am

Here is an update. DHL just delivered my passport at my doorstep. I have been granted the FP. It shows that it was issued on the 10th of September which means it just took about 7 working days. They returned our original marriage certificate and all the photos we sent. The documents that were returned are all intact as were sent. I'm very impressed with the UKBA in Croydon.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:45 am

agent2857 wrote:I am physically in Tallinn, Estonia.
I had an appointment with Worldbridge on the 30th of September. They have clinics here in Tallinn every alternate Friday. Worldbridge took my biometrics and had everything recorded on video.
After the biometrics were taken I was given an envelope with the UKBA address for Croydon on it and told to send the documents within 3 working days using the safest and quickest possible method.
For the appointment I had to pay 24 euros so that my passport can be returned to me by DHL. I decided to send the documents by DHL and that cost us an extra 45 euros.
They said they will deliver the passport to the address I indicated when ordering the appointment with worldbridge. So I guess I don't have to go and collect it.
So who exactly did you pay 24 euros to and for what?

And what did you pay the 45 euros for? Sending documents to the UK? Or sending documents back to you?

agent2857
Newly Registered

Post by agent2857 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:54 pm

I paid 24 euros to worldbridge when I booked the appointment for the biometrics. Since the biometrics are free the 24 euros is for the courier service to return the documents to me from UKBA.

I paid the 45 euros to DHL to send the documents to UKBA. I was advised to use a quick and safe method and since I wanted to get the EEA FP ASAP I chose DHL. I guess it cost that much because I had a very large packet of documents. It weighed 0.5 kg.

Just to clarify worldbridge just take your biometrics. No more no less.

agent2857
Newly Registered

Post by agent2857 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:05 pm

So you have to send the documents to and from the UK yourself and you have to bear the cost for that. I'm only happy I didn't get a rejection. I was worried I would have to spend as much again.

scorpio1

Post by scorpio1 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:08 pm

@agent 2857.
thats good you granted FP onotherhand your concern at post visa facilty, till March 2013 all applications from tallin were going to dealt at Poland post , look like ukba changed their policy for tallin.
their are few visa sections within EU (only), visa application going to decide at London office (CR),
worldbridge is UKBA partner for visa application handleing all over the world except few Asian countries.
if argue with UKBA on cost (DHL etc) then typical answer should be from them that inflation and administrative cost increased.

j-anderson
Newly Registered

EEA FP -

Post by j-anderson » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:44 pm

Hi agent2857,

Myself (UK citizen) and my wife (non-EEA citizen) are also currently based in Tallinn and are planning to do a Family Permit application in the new year.

I just wanted to ask whether you specified the duration of your visit on the application form? As I am unclear as to whether this applies to non-EEA family members of UK citizens going through the Surinder Singh route or not.

Therefore is it correct to put 6 months (the permit's duration) or can you can simply put N/A? As we are planning to move back to the UK next year after a year in Estonia and then apply for the temporary EU family member residence card and then after 5 years the permanent one.

In addition from what we have read on the issue of the UKBA often suspecting sham-marriages - would you mind sharing what kinds and how much documentation (proof of lasting / subsisting relationship) you included in your application, as this would be most helpful for us.

Many thanks

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:18 am

How long have you been married for? What is the citizenship of your wife?

I think it is usually a mistake to include anything in addition to the marriage certificate with your application.