ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of name - Before naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

shankarks
Newly Registered

Change of name - Before naturalisation

Post by shankarks » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:32 pm

Hello, I'm planning to apply for naturalisation for myself, wife and kid. Before that, I wish to change my surname (and hence from wife's and daughter's surname). All my current documents (including Indian passport & visa) are on my old name.

What I plan to do is, apply for a deed poll and attach this while applying for naturalisation certificate and then eventually British passport. Will UKBA accept this process without changing the name on the current Indian passport?

Will Indian government, will issue a OCI card with the new name (as per naturalisation certificate) when the indian passport has old name?

I would appreciate and thank all responses.

Thanks

lifofifo

Post by lifofifo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:41 pm

I recently changed my name via a deed poll. But I did it after receiving my naturalisation certificate and before applying for the British passport. I had no issues with the passport or OCI.

maximux79

Post by maximux79 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:48 pm

That's encouraging news...Is there a specific reason why you followed this order? Thanks

lifofifo wrote:I recently changed my name via a deed poll. But I did it after receiving my naturalisation certificate and before applying for the British passport. I had no issues with the passport or OCI.

lifofifo

Post by lifofifo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:52 pm

Because I was still an Indian citizen before the naturalisation. So I wasn't sure if the deed poll would've been sufficient for a name change or not. The whole process seemed much simpler after becoming British.

shankarks
Newly Registered

Post by shankarks » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:05 pm

Thanks for the response. So, just to clarify that the naturalization certificate had your old name, and indian passport surrender certificate had your new name?

thanks
lifofifo wrote:Because I was still an Indian citizen before the naturalisation. So I wasn't sure if the deed poll would've been sufficient for a name change or not. The whole process seemed much simpler after becoming British.

lifofifo

Post by lifofifo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:09 pm

Surrender certificate will have your old name too. You'll need to include the deed poll when applying for OCI.

shankarks
Newly Registered

Post by shankarks » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:47 pm

lifofifo wrote:Surrender certificate will have your old name too. You'll need to include the deed poll when applying for OCI.
Thanks for the update. Have found the following document....

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

kasturi75

Post by kasturi75 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:21 am

I did my name change.
I informed my requirement to NCS people when I went to handover documents for the naturalisation.
They done the name change before apply for the naturalisation.
Naturalisation is done with the new name.
It was a very smooth process.
Talk to your nearest NCS & they will advise you.

shankarks
Newly Registered

Post by shankarks » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:47 pm

Thanks Kasturi75. I'm planning for name change before naturalisation. Does the deed poll need to be signed in front of a solicitor or commissioner of oaths? or else, can we make use of one of the online deed poll companies?

Which is safer and quicker?

Thanks

kasturi75 wrote:I did my name change.
I informed my requirement to NCS people when I went to handover documents for the naturalisation.

kasturi75

Post by kasturi75 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:13 pm

shankarks wrote:Thanks Kasturi75. I'm planning for name change before naturalisation. Does the deed poll need to be signed in front of a solicitor or commissioner of oaths? or else, can we make use of one of the online deed poll companies?

Which is safer and quicker?

Thanks

kasturi75 wrote:I did my name change.
Sorry I haven't done deed poll process. Every thing i did at NCS. They handed me over application forms & advised the process. Then I submitted the application & supporting docs as advised. Name change is done on the spot.

Ring NCS, they will advise you.
thanks

nmm

Re: Change of name - Before naturalisation

Post by nmm » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:29 pm

Hi,
I also did a name change before applying for Naturalization in Oct 2013, I am still waiting for decision. I just came to know that you need to get new BRP if you change your name. But I couldn't get any information if we need to get a new BRP even if we have applied for Naturalisation. Does anyone know about this and refer to any URL about this?