ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI Documents by post

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

kym123
Newly Registered

OCI Documents by post

Post by kym123 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:36 pm

Hi friends,

I am planning to apply for OCI card for our family.
Please could you let me know if I need to send the originals of the following to HCI, London in the post for processing of our OCI card application.

1) British Passport
2) Indian Passport
3) Marriage certificate
4) Naturalisation certificate

Alternatively, please let me know what documents need to be in original as it is a bit confusing. Thank you in advance for your time.

sophieb
Newly Registered

Post by sophieb » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:22 am

hello KYM123 did you get an answer? I am very confused also as I don't want to send the original british passport because of travel/work commitments.

any advice appreciated

nehalbhagat

Post by nehalbhagat » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:29 am

You don't need to send your original passport.

It clearly says in section 'Important clarification/Information' on page http://hcilondon.in/oci.html

•Please do not send the original UK Passport with the application.

They will ask you to provide only photocopies (self attested)

From Document required section -

For post application-
Please send all the original documents (except foreign passport) with one set of self attested photocopy of the documents with the application, if submitted by post.OCI/PIO applications sent by post must have self addressed duly stamped envelope for returning the original documents or OCI application, if not accepted. High Commission will not be responsible for returning the documents or application in the absence of self address envelope duly stamped.

sophieb
Newly Registered

Post by sophieb » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:45 am

thank you I got confused by the following in FAQs:

Please send all the original documents (except foreign passport) with one set of self attested photocopy of the documents with the application, if submitted by post. OCI/PIO applications sent by post must have self addressed duly stamped envelope for returning the original documents or OCI application, if not accepted. High Commission will not be responsible for returning the documents or application in the absence of self address envelope duly stamped.

nehalbhagat

Post by nehalbhagat » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:41 am

Please advise, What is a confusion ?

HCI says don't send your UK passport with application. send all originals with photocopies to process your application. for secure return, attach self address stamped envelope.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:09 pm

Passport needs to be sent for stamping of the OCI only and not required during initial submission.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:32 am

How about naturalization certificate? Does one need to send original naturalization certificate with postal oci application?

Also what about original surrender cert and original Indian (cancelled) passport?

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:49 pm

Any learned members?

VR

Answers for ayyubi

Post by VR » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:21 pm

Ayyubi72,

COLOUR PHOTOCOPIES

Photocopy of your British passport. If your passport was issued recently, this will just be the page on which you find your details.

Photocopy of your Naturalisation certificate.

Photocopy of Surrender Certificate of Indian Passport

Photocopies of all non-blank pages of your cancelled / revoked Indian Passport(s).

Note: You will only need one copy of each of the above. You will need to self attest - sign, print your name and date it; all the above mentioned photocopies.

You can enclose all originals except your British passport along with a secure delivery envelop for them to verify and return.
cheers
vr

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:45 pm

Thanks VR. Very helpful.
Just that sending them original naturalization certificate sounds like a bit risky. :(

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:51 pm

I would send photocopies of british passport, naturalisation cert, surrender certificate + original surrender cert.

black and white photocopy will also do.

ps: considering people have varied experience dealing with officials at indian high commission/ consulates in the UK please feel free to submit all documents that you deem necessary.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:08 pm

Do consular jurisdictions apply to oci applications too? Or is it possible to submit Birmingham jurisdiction residents applications in London ( or vice versa)?

VR

Consular Jurisdictions apply

Post by VR » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:23 am

Ayyubi72,
If you are in Birmingham go to Jewellery Quarter!
cheers
vr

rambharose
Newly Registered

Post by rambharose » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:20 am

If you are making a postal application then you can send it to London as well.
Ayyubi72 wrote:Do consular jurisdictions apply to oci applications too? Or is it possible to submit Birmingham jurisdiction residents applications in London ( or vice versa)?

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:46 am

I live in Lancashire, more than 200 miles round trip from CGI Birmingham. Had the pleasure of renewing passport in past at CGI Birmingham.

Would prefer a postal OCI application.

As per info on CGI Birmingham, it is clear that original British passport is not required for OCI application.

There is no clear information about original naturalisation certificate though.

VR's opinion is that original naturalisation certificate needs to be sent, and ban.s says that original naturalisation certificate is not required to be sent for postal application.

Would be great if forum members can share the experience of successful postal OCI application, and the original documents they submitted.

Also awaiting any implementations of plans by government of India on inluding British Citizens to be included in visa-on-arrival or evisa type of procedure.

Also noticed that on online OCI application they ask for "any relatives living in India". Well, for all Indians it will easily run into hundreds of entries on the application. :roll:
Last edited by Ayyubi72 on Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:39 pm

duplicate deleted

rambharose
Newly Registered

Post by rambharose » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:16 pm

You should apply at London, it will be faster than Birmingham, It mentioned on hcilondon website that you have to send all originals for postal applications..extract from website as below..

"Please send all the original documents (except foreign passport) with one set of self attested photocopy of the documents with the application, if submitted by post."

I did submit all original with one set of self attested photocopy. I got my originals back in 3 weeks time.

About relatives I just gave my parents details.
Ayyubi72 wrote:I live in Lancashire, more than 200 miles round trip from CGI Birmingham. Had the pleasure of renewing passport in past in Birmingham.

Would prefer a postal OCI application.

As per info on CGI Birmingham, it is clear that original British passport is not required for OCI application.

There is no clear information about original naturalisation certificate though.

VR's opinion is that original naturalisation certificate needs to be sent, and ban.s says that original naturalisation certificate is not required to be sent for postal application.

Would be great if forum members can share the experience of successful postal OCI application, and the original documents they submitted.

Also awaiting any implementations of plans by government of India on inluding British Citizens to be included in visa-on-arrival or evisa type of procedure.

Also noticed that on online OCI application they ask for "any relatives living in India". Well, for all Indians it will easily run into hundreds of entries on the application. :roll:

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:32 pm

Many thanks.

I think I will go with your advice and make a postal application to HCI london.

Don't fancy waiting hours in the que at cgi birmingham. To get to cgi birmingham on time I will have to leave home no later than 4 am, because any later and it will be chocablock on M6, and reaching cgi after 7.30 may lead to not getting a token, or waiting till 3 pm or later.

Shabster8
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Shabster8 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:13 pm

Dear Ayyubi72,

If its of any help, i have applied by post and ONLY sent photocopies of everything (dont forget to self certify).

Thanks.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:19 pm

Thanks Shabster8

Have you just sent the application, or are you saying your application has been approved?

If your have application has not been approved yet, then it remains to be seen whether they accept just the photocopies of Naturalisation and Surrender certificate.

But as they advice people to send SD envelope for the return of documents, it seems that they do need all originals, apart from British Passport.

Shabster8
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Shabster8 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:34 pm

Hi Ayyubi72,

My application was approved and I have OCI - all this happenned in August. You have absolutely nothing to worry about, just send photo copies of everything, it will be fine. Hope this helps to reassure you.

Good luck.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:58 am

Thanks very much for this info.

That means they are not really concerned about seeing originals as long as they can establish Indian origin by looking at just photocopies.

Shabster8
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Shabster8 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:31 pm

....and my daughter's OCI arrived in post today which I only submitted photocopies in October.

Thanks.

vinpat1
Newly Registered

Re: OCI Documents by post

Post by vinpat1 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:37 pm

Hi All

I am a British Citizen by birth and am looking to apply for OCI by post.

I have the following documents:
- Completed application form
- My British Passport - Copy
- My Dad's Surrendered Indian Passport - Copy
- My Dad's Surrender Certificate - Copy
- My Dad's OCI card and booklet - Copy
- My Birth Certificate - Copy

The HCI website says:
Please send all the original documents (except British/foreign passport) with one set of self attested photocopy of the documents with the application, if submitted by post. OCI/PIO applications sent by post must have self addressed duly stamped envelope for returning the original documents or OCI application, if not accepted.
So this means I need to submit the originals in the post along with copies and along with Self-addressed envelope

Then a section on the site also says:
Note : If application sent by post do not include a special delivery envelope and needs to be returned, they will be returned by ordinary post only. The High Commission will not be responsible for loss or delay of the application.
So this means, do not send originals, only copies and no Self-addressed envelope

I am confused as to which is correct. If anyone has recently done their OCI and has a similar background to me, please can you clarify this?

Also, please can you tell me how much the Post Order cost in total?

Thanks

abigailferns
Newly Registered

Re: Reply Hi!!!! Can someone please help

Post by abigailferns » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:05 am

Hi!!!! Can someone please help...

I have forgotten to self attest the documents & have already posted all my documents/ application/ postal order etc (Posted This Monday). What is the best step to take next. As per my knowledge the documents should have reached the concerned.

Regards,
Gail.

nehalbhagat wrote:You don't need to send your original passport.

It clearly says in section 'Important clarification/Information' on page http://hcilondon.in/oci.html

•Please do not send the original UK Passport with the application.

They will ask you to provide only photocopies (self attested)

From Document required section -

For post application-
Please send all the original documents (except foreign passport) with one set of self attested photocopy of the documents with the application, if submitted by post.OCI/PIO applications sent by post must have self addressed duly stamped envelope for returning the original documents or OCI application, if not accepted. High Commission will not be responsible for returning the documents or application in the absence of self address envelope duly stamped.