ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Funds & Police Clearance

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

stevewrightson
Newly Registered

Funds & Police Clearance

Post by stevewrightson » Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:17 pm

Steve: I hope you don't mind me combining your queries so you can have the info on a single post - Kayalami(Moderator).

1. Do I need to apply to the police for my police check or do I just fill in the form consenting to a search and send that to the embassy ???

2. When you are filling out the forms for immigartion it states about funding? i have about £6k to take with me which I can prove with bank statements - but I will also be selling my house and that will release about £100k and I'll be taking that with me too.

3. How do I prove that this revenue wiill be available to take? Or do i even need to do that?

Just trying to get all things in order as although they say it is easy to fill the forms in, I dont want to make a mistake.

Cheers

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:53 am

1. Do I need to apply to the police for my police check or do I just fill in the form consenting to a search and send that to the embassy ???
You need to contact your local police station and request for a subject access form. You will need to tick the box that asks for a conviction history. You then either send this to the Met in Scotland Yard, London or your local police station may do it for you (more likeley the former) accompanied by formal ID e.g .passport, photo DL as well as a GBP 10 processing fee. I recall the form requiring a counter signature too. The Met will get back to you within 40 days as per the data protection act. Their report will say no records found which means you are clean or otherwise as may be appropriate.
When you are filling out the forms for immigartion it states about funding? i have about £6k to take with me which I can prove with bank statements - but I will laso be selling my house and that will release about £100k and I'll be taking that with me too.
You need to show that you have the minimum funds required at landing in the independent category (I assume this is what you are applying for) to support yourself and any dependents after arrival in Canada. This is currently 9,420 CAN Dollars for the principal applicant and approx 2,500 CAN Dollars for each additional family member. The funds must be from your own source not borrowed. Given a rough exchange rate of 1GBP=2.3 CAN dollars I think you will be fine on this aspect. You can get a valuation for the house - your estate agent will advise you on the process.
How do I prove that this revenue wiill be available to take? Or do i even need to do that?
This is usually a problem for applicants in countries with strict foreign exchange controls in terms of currency movement (esp. exports) restrictions. The UK is not one of these countries and the sterling is freely convertible.
Just trying to get all things in order as although they say it is easy to fill the forms in, I dont want to make a mistake.
Very sensible approach.

Good Luck

Rhodes

Post by Rhodes » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:32 pm

I did my subject access form ecently and it didn't require a counter signature. I just took it to my local police station with ID and a £10 postal orer (they don't accept cash), as Kayalami set out, and I got the result back in three weeks, which is a singe sheet of paper saying that the police hold nothing on their records about convictions or prosecutions.