ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life in the UK and English Language Requirement tests

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

neesh

Life in the UK and English Language Requirement tests

Post by neesh » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:58 pm

Hi all

I am currently on Tier-1 General and eligible to apply for ILR in April 2014. There were a few questions i was hoping to get advice on from everyone here

1. Life in the UK test - Which book do i need to buy to take this test. I have tried searching and found the popular choice is the one on amazon "[u]Life in the UK Test: Handbook 2013: Everything You Need for the British Citizenship Test [Paperback]"[/u]. Is this going to be enough? Is there some sort of an question bank dvd/cd (like the one for driving theory test) that is recommended?

2. English language requirement test - When i first applied for Tier-1 General i proved that my degree was taught in English. However i presume i will have to take the English requirement test now. Which test to take and what material/book to use to clear it?

3. At the time of my application (in April 2014) my wife who is on my tier-1 dependent visa will NOT be eligible for ILR. What provision is there for someone in that situation? Her dependent visa expires in May 2014. So i was planning to apply for her visa along with my ILR application, but i am not sure what category to apply in?

Any help is highly appreciated.

navalaviator
Member of Standing

Post by navalaviator » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:21 am

Here is the link for the current version of LIUK test book.

http://www.tsoshop.co.uk/bookstore.asp? ... kid=002353

If your degree was taught in English medium throughout and if it is assessed as equivalent to the UK undergraduate degree by NARIC then you don't need to take the test but wait for the experts to help you out with this bit of your query.

neesh

Post by neesh » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:18 pm

[quote="navalaviator"]Here is the link for the current version of LIUK test book.

[url]http://www.tsoshop.co.uk/bookstore.asp? ... kid=002353[/url]

If your degree was taught in English medium throughout and if it is assessed as equivalent to the UK undergraduate degree by NARIC then you don't need to take the test but wait for the experts to help you out with this bit of your query.[/quote]

thanks for your reply.

Anyone who can help me with these other queries? Mods?

Applu Rose
Newly Registered

Post by Applu Rose » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:48 pm

Hi,

Answering your query no:3

3. At the time of my application (in April 2014) my wife who is on my tier-1 dependent visa will NOT be eligible for ILR. What provision is there for someone in that situation? Her dependent visa expires in May 2014. So i was planning to apply for her visa along with my ILR application, but i am not sure what category to apply in?

Your wife can apply for her visa along with your ILR application. She needs to apply for a dependent visa of a PBS Tier-1 migrant (I know it will sound a bit strange because you will no longer be a Tier-1 migrant but on ILR). She will be granted this dependent visa for a period of 3 years. However she is eligible to apply for ILR as soon as she finishes her 2 years in the UK.

I was in this situation exactly 2 years back. The rules and the form should be the same even now I guess!!

Good luck!!

:) :)

Amber
Mood:

Re: Life in the UK and English Language Requirement tests

Post by Amber » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:05 am

Your spouse, a PBS dep, will be able to either extend as a PBS dep or switch to FLR(M) when you are granted ILR. However, with the latter there is a Financial and English requirement. That is assuming you apply for ILR as a PBS applicant. When was your wife granted leave as a PBS dep and when did she arrive in the UK?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

neesh

Post by neesh » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:53 pm

[quote="Amber_"]Your spouse, a PBS dep, will be able to either extend as a PBS dep or switch to FLR(M) when you are granted ILR. However, with the latter there is a Financial and English requirement. That is assuming you apply for ILR as a PBS applicant. When was your wife granted leave as a PBS dep and when did she arrive in the UK?[/quote]

thanks a ton for your reply.

we got married last year but at that time she had her own tier-1 visa, so she came with me on that. she has been living with me since (around 1.5 years). it was only in Aug 2013 that she switched to PBS dep (of me) when her tier-1 was about to expire....

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:29 pm

So she'll have to be a dep for 5 years, applying for FLR(m) may restart the clock.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

neesh

Post by neesh » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:02 pm

[quote="Amber_"]So she'll have to be a dep for 5 years, applying for FLR(m) may restart the clock.[/quote]

ohh...ok.

so you reckon she will have to extend her existing PBS dependent visa? But how would that work? would she still be eligible to get a PBS dependent when i (her main applicant) will be attempting for an ILR (and not a tier-1?). would be great if you can point me in the right direction..with regards to her application.

Also would you have an input on my english language requirement test? as stated in the original post, when i applied for my tier-1 general around 4.5 years ago, my university (in india, was in the NARIC database i.e. in the PBS calculator dropdown). it still is. (i have a bachelors degree in engineering)

does it mean that i dont have to take any of these English language tests, because i have a degree which was taught in English? if i dont then is there any other sort of letter/certificate i need to provide in support of my application for this specific requirement?

apologies for these many questions and i appreciate your reply.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:52 pm

If she is currently a PBS dep and you are applying for ILR as a PBS applicant, she can extend (click) as a PBS dep until such time she qualifies for ILR (5 years post July 2012) under paragraph 319C (b) (iii) (1).

neesh

Post by neesh » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:45 pm

[quote="Amber_"]If she is currently a PBS dep and you are applying for ILR as a PBS applicant, she can [url=http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ation1.pdf]extend (click)[/url] as a PBS dep until such time she qualifies for ILR (5 years post July 2012) under paragraph 319C (b) (iii) (1).[/quote]

very helpful. thanks for your reply.

would you also know about the english requirement query that i explained in my previous post? thanks

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:12 pm

A print out of the PBS calculator showing your degree is awarded 10 points for English Skills and 20/30 for qualification will suffice KoLL, in addition to LIUK.

4uvak000

Post by 4uvak000 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:25 pm

Regarding "Life in UK" test. Here are the books: http://www.tsoshop.co.uk/bookstore.asp? ... kid=002353. You can buy them in any high street book store which will save you time and probably money. I have used "Life in the United Kingdom: A Guide for New Residents - 3rd Edition" and "Life in the United Kingdom: Official Practice Questions and Answers". This was sufficient to pass the test first time. Please note, "Life in the United Kingdom: Official Practice Questions and Answers" does not contain the learning materials for the test and should be read in conjunction with a standard text version of 'Life in the United Kingdom: A Guide for New Residents, 3rd Edition' handbook. In other words the questions and answers are not the same as on test. You will see some of them in your test, but not all. Read "Life in the United Kingdom: A Guide for New Residents - 3rd Edition" few times, names and dates are very important to remember. It is not one of those "easy" tests based on common sense. You really need to study it. Before you buy the study material and before you book the test, check if the books you studied are still up to date as the Home Office changes everything very quick... Always check the information on official website http://lifeintheuktest.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ Good luck :D

neesh

Post by neesh » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:05 am

@Amber_ & 4uvak000 - thanks a lot for your replies. you have been extremely helpful.

Here are a few things that i got to know yesterday

1. With regards to my wife's dependent application, i called UKBA yesterday and i was told that i can only apply for her PBS dependent after i have got my ILR application accepted. Since both of our visas expire on the same day, i am not sure how i can manage this (getting my ILR sorted before applying for her visa)? Could anyone who has done something simillar help me with this?

2. With regards to my english language requirement i was told to ask NARIC to issue me a certificate that deemed my degree as compatible. Is this something that people do a lot? Or is it just simpler to take an ESOL test?

Any thoughts?

neesh

Post by neesh » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:22 am

Anyone? Mods? Thoughts on the above?

Have many people taken a certificate of compatability despite the fact that their degrees were in the PBS calculator?
Have they had any success with only supplying degree certificate?

Also can anyone who has been in a similar situation as i am with regards to point#1 above comment on how they successfully achieved it? This is what i have queries on

"With regards to my wife's dependent application, i called UKBA yesterday and i was told that i can only apply for her PBS dependent after i have got my ILR application accepted. Since both of our visas expire on the same day, i am not sure how i can manage this (getting my ILR sorted before applying for her visa)? Could anyone who has done something simillar help me with this?"

kgpsingh
Newly Registered

Post by kgpsingh » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:58 pm

Amber_ wrote:A print out of the PBS calculator showing your degree is awarded 10 points for English Skills and 20/30 for qualification will suffice KoLL, in addition to LIUK.
I found the PBS calculator and 10 points for English skills but couldn't locate 20/30 for qualification; can you please elaborate what that is?

Gnanasekar

Post by Gnanasekar » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:48 pm

For your first query, check out this http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... ss#p977143
neesh wrote:@Amber_ & 4uvak000 - thanks a lot for your replies. you have been extremely helpful.

Here are a few things that i got to know yesterday

1. With regards to my wife's dependent application, i called UKBA yesterday and i was told that i can only apply for her PBS dependent after i have got my ILR application accepted. Since both of our visas expire on the same day, i am not sure how i can manage this (getting my ILR sorted before applying for her visa)? Could anyone who has done something simillar help me with this?

2. With regards to my english language requirement i was told to ask NARIC to issue me a certificate that deemed my degree as compatible. Is this something that people do a lot? Or is it just simpler to take an ESOL test?

Any thoughts?