ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What form to use for my mother's visa application

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Raaj21
Newly Registered

What form to use for my mother's visa application

Post by Raaj21 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:50 am

Dear All,

Need some assistance with the correct form to use for my mother's visa application. She's based in Africa and no one to look after her. I'm settled here and recently got my ILR via the 10 yrs route.

I'd like to get her here and look after her. I do not need any public funds to support her here and have my own place where I plan to stay with her.

She's 58 years - retired and all alone after my father's demise. She cannot speak fluent English and reading would be a issue too.

All assistance is highly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Raaj21

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:03 pm

You would do well to read the information on the UKBA website, link below :

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... dependent/

This is one of the most difficult visas to obtain and as far as I am aware, there has only been one (I think) successful application on this forum since the rules changed last year.

If you search the forum, you will find threads/topics on this.

If you go ahead and apply anyway and your mother's visa is refused, it will close the door on any visit visa application in the future.
Last edited by CR001 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Raaj21
Newly Registered

Post by Raaj21 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:11 pm

Thank you for the prompt assistance. It scares me even further with your views on it being the most difficult visa to obtain. Is there anything I can prepare for before making the application?

I'm having difficulties searching this forum on this topic and hence posted a question. Any chance you could search and share the links so I can go and read through other members' experiences and avoid mistakes.

Many thanks,
Raaj21

CR001 wrote:You would do well to read the information on the UKBA website, link below :

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... dependent/

This is one of the most difficult visas to obtain and as far as I am aware, there has only been one (I think) successful application on this forum since the rules changed last year.

If you search the forum, you will find threads/topics on this.

If you go ahead and apply anyway and your mother's visa is refused, it will close the door on any visit visa application in the future.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:14 pm

Read the link in Sushdmehta's post from July 2012 as well
sushdmehta wrote:Significant changes are being introduced from 09-Jul-12 to the immigration rules for elderly dependant relatives.

Please read clauses 118-125 of this document.
I will have a look for the posts of people asking the same question.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:24 pm

Also read through the Older Dependent Relative Sticky post and the new rules are from page 3 onwards. A lot of members posting questions and discussions on the new rules.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=42420
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Raaj21
Newly Registered

Post by Raaj21 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:13 pm

Thank you ever so much!

CR001 wrote:Also read through the Older Dependent Relative Sticky post and the new rules are from page 3 onwards. A lot of members posting questions and discussions on the new rules.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=42420

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:03 pm

Also bear be prepared to waste something like £1800 and then no prospect of a visit visa afterwards.

The logic is the fees and financial undertaking to support another adult are quite high in the UK so if you can afford that you can afford to pay for her to be looked after in her home country.

Has to be 65 or over anyway so it's fair to say the chances of success with this one are similar to England's chances of retaining the Ashes......
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Raaj21
Newly Registered

Post by Raaj21 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:51 pm

It's a sad state that the goal posts have moved but very little we can do. A choice that's got to be made unfortunately.

She's a widow and I'd like her to be with me and spend her elderly years with her future grandchildren.

It's not a matter of being taken care of in the resident country. That can be arranged - what I'm looking for is spending family time with her. I know the answer already - with the current rules and criteria.

let's see what happened. Shall have a read through the forms and forums and see if I can meet all criteria and apply accordingly.

Thank you for all the assistances.

Wanderer wrote:Also bear be prepared to waste something like £1800 and then no prospect of a visit visa afterwards.

The logic is the fees and financial undertaking to support another adult are quite high in the UK so if you can afford that you can afford to pay for her to be looked after in her home country.

Has to be 65 or over anyway so it's fair to say the chances of success with this one are similar to England's chances of retaining the Ashes......

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:13 pm

Raaj21 wrote:It's a sad state that the goal posts have moved but very little we can do. A choice that's got to be made unfortunately.

She's a widow and I'd like her to be with me and spend her elderly years with her future grandchildren.

It's not a matter of being taken care of in the resident country. That can be arranged - what I'm looking for is spending family time with her. I know the answer already - with the current rules and criteria.

let's see what happened. Shall have a read through the forms and forums and see if I can meet all criteria and apply accordingly.

Thank you for all the assistances.

Wanderer wrote:Also bear be prepared to waste something like £1800 and then no prospect of a visit visa afterwards.

You have to accept that culturally and in immigration law there is no family reunion visa or any concept of looking after elders in UK. In fact, for me as Brit, and all of my peers, our parents usually have all the cash and we beg and borrow off them!

So that's that.

If it's such a big deal maybe you can relocate to Africa and do your bit there? Not being facetious, in all fairness it's not in UK culture to drag our parents to wherever we choose to relocate to, and it's UK immigration that apply. Just a question of what's important to you, your choice.

I know that comes across as stone-faced but them's the rules....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....