ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Who should I write to?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

kevarms
Newly Registered

Who should I write to?

Post by kevarms » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:27 pm

Guys, I am sick with worry after hearing the result of the court case. Our EU-1 application was only made a couple of months ago but I can't just sit and wait until the inevitable rejection. I want to fire off a load of letters, but don't know who should feel my wrath first:

Justice Minister:

Foreign Minister: I'm really pissed off that we were given incorrect information by the embassy in Tokyo. What are these guys at ?! They don't even know the laws in the country they represent ?!

Taoiseach: probably not much use, but my mum always said talk to the organ-grinder not the monkey.

Local TDs: one of them happens to be the Foreign Minister, was also wondering what Fine Gael and Sinn Fein think about non-nationals rights being denied.

I've been following the board for a while now and frankly I'm confused by all the EU and immigrant bodies that keep being mentioned (Solvit etc). Which of them is the most useful? Please bear in mind that our application is still only pending, but I'm expecting a rejection.

Ooops, I accidentally posted this onto the end of another thread. Sorry about that.

BigAppleWoodenShoe

Post by BigAppleWoodenShoe » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:13 pm

You wont get far with European commissions and stuff. Best is to keep it simple.

1. There is a EU directive 2004/38/EU that states we are allowed to stay here.

2. There is an Irish directive dated April 2006 that overrules this directive and states we are not allowed in. S.I. No. 656 of 2006

3. The DoJ has not advertised this change until very recently and has not informed the Dept of Enterprise (who would inform HR dept. that are in the process of hiring EU-nationals) of this change. The DoJ has not been pro-active in implementing this change, and notifying people that already have applied, instead, it takes on average 9 months before they refuse applicants, the applicants have to stay at home and do nothing for all that time. The DoJ immigration service is only open 7,5 hours a week, in which it is almost impossible to get through to them.

4. Because of this, many couples are stranded in Ireland, came in under false pretences, and having to wait for more than 9 months to receive their refusal letter.

5. Also, people on a work-permit for years on end here in Ireland, are forced to leave their loved-ones because they have their residence card application being refused ones they get unemployed.

If anybody wants to add a general point, you're more than welcome.

The point is to be short and to the point. Once you have a document (half to one-page) you just send it to anyone you can: politicians, papers, and hope that at least someone will pick up the fight.
Dutch husband, American wife, applied for a residence card, after 7 months got a Stamp 4 visa for two years. :)

Flor_mz

Post by Flor_mz » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:34 pm

Hi Kevarms,

Our main frustration is also related to the fact that we were misinformed by the Irish Embassy in Buenos Aires (http://www.irlanda.org.ar/). Just for you to know, that Embassy represents Ireland in Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Paraguay and Uruguay.

In short, though they seem very nice people, they don't have a clue about what's going on.

We trusted the information they gave us. If they would have told us the truth, we'd be in the UK right now, or in Argentina (but with a lot more money and less worries).

Count me in for any further action against the Minister of Foreign Affairs.

I just sent you a PM.
Florencia

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:23 pm

If you all decide to file a joint lawsuit, please count me in...I think if we decide to sue individually we might not have the financial resources to do so.
Maybe the Kumar guy was a bit dodgy, but that does not give the DOJ the right to judge us all by the same yardstick!
But let's give it a week or two to see if the European Commission can do anything and contact the local TD's as well.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:32 pm

Meanwhile, here's a list of people we can start writing quoting the Irish times article.

Here's the contact details of Irish Times for 'Letters to the Editor'
'lettersed@irish-times.ie'

Metro
'mail@metroireland.ie'

The Irish times have a special series on immigration in Ireland called 'Changing Places'
http://www.ireland.com/focus/gageby/

Maybe we can contact the reporter focussing on immigration issues there.
The email contact address is
changingplaces@ireland.com
changingplaces@irish-times.ie

You will have to write your name and full address for the paper to publish your letter to the editor. They tend to ignore letters without full addresses, though they dont print the full address on the paper.

Lets write on some of the frustrations we have been facing, the delays, the violation by the govt.of Ireland of the E.U directive,how European citizens seem to have less rights in Ireland than Asian/American/African work permit holders for family reunification.

I managed to write a short rant which appeared in the Irish times.
It appears on this page under the name of 'gabe'. You can still submit your comments at the bottom of this page.

http://scripts.ireland.com/polls/focus/ ... siteid=365

This Gageby series is a series in the Irish times on immigration in Ireland, and all the articles can be found here.
http://www.ireland.com/focus/gageby/

BigAppleWoodenShoe

Post by BigAppleWoodenShoe » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:20 pm

I would really like to pursue writing to politicians and papers much more than suing the goverment, I don't have the breath for going to court, if it takes that long, I'll already have left this place. And, my wife hasn't been refused just yet.

I would suggest to write together on a one page document which we can all send out to anyone possible we know.

I've already given up on the DoJ, I have to be practical, if my wife can't get a workpermit, I am out of here.
Dutch husband, American wife, applied for a residence card, after 7 months got a Stamp 4 visa for two years. :)

kevarms
Newly Registered

Post by kevarms » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:37 am

BigAppleWoodenShoe wrote:You wont get far with European commissions and stuff. Best is to keep it simple.
I think you are right about keeping it simple. I'm just going to write to TDs and MEPs for now.

Interesting to see the anti-immigrant comments in the Irish Times poll. Is there any country in the world that doesn't have an Irish immigrant community? Presumably the Irish diaspora in the UK, US and just about everywhere else in the world will have to come home. How else will the economy stay afloat so everybody here gets their plasma TVs and shiney new cars? :x

BigAppleWoodenShoe

Post by BigAppleWoodenShoe » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:56 am

Xenophobism is off all times and places, you cannot accuse the Irish of anything different than being human.

I am not so happy with all these immigrants either, for some reason it is easier for eastern-European beggars to come here, then for a US/EU couple both with a degree from 3rd level education.
Whenever you have a fast and large influx of a specific group of people, you'll get ghetto forming, and this group of people cannot integrate very well, creating two different social groups in one single country, which causes friction. This is true for the Irish in the US, the poles in Ireland, and Turks in the Netherlands (for instance).

The government made it easy for polish skilled workers to go and stay in Ireland and helped cause the real-estate boom, that same government has to take responsibility, but it is playing hide and seek now.

I'll stop my political rant now, and focus on putting something down on paper. :)

microlab

Post by microlab » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:40 pm

for some reason it is easier for eastern-European beggars to come here, then for a US/EU couple both with a degree from 3rd level education.

There is brighter side of life... :wink:....throw punches if you want....
but you should find better opponent.....

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:50 pm

Interesting to see the anti-immigrant comments in the Irish Times poll. Is there any country in the world that doesn't have an Irish immigrant community? Presumably the Irish diaspora in the UK, US and just about everywhere else in the world will have to come home. How else will the economy stay afloat so everybody here gets their plasma TVs and shiney new cars? :x[/quote]

plasma tv's and shiney new cars? you need to check ireland out a little bit better.try north inner city dublin, mayo, roscommon, leitrim, donegal. not many big business empires there anymore.one of the worst things about the celtic tiger was that it widened the gap between people from the poverty - rich line.(not migrants fault). some of these people have genuine concerns about their people.they are concerned about not been able to send their kids to the schools of their choice, a right protected by our constitution.these irish people stuck it out
over the years of poverty, they should be getting first priority during economic boom. its obvious they are not with plasma tv's etc. you see not everyone in irish society got the oppurtunity to enjoy the celtic tiger. i would like to see your comments about your country if it was in the same boat as you. if this country went bust tomorrow, its alright for many of ye people, ye can walk away, what about them?the country has a genuine fear of falling into similar traps as the usa. what the usa does is not what ireland does. its there problems. this country is only obliged to recognise the right of eu and eea citizens into this country. it is eu citizens that enjoy eu law not non eu citizens. the eu law is clear that in order to enjoy family reunification, one needs to have been married to eu spouse before they exercise their right to free movement.

after reading some of them posts, i agree some of them are pretty damn ignorant. particularily their wrong assumption that asylum is easy to get or that their is an abuse to the system. ireland like all signatories to the un convention on refugees must allow asylum seekers to enter the country and make their application regardless of how genuine it is. then they are asked to leave if failed. i do find it rather dearly beloved about some of their fears that there almost more muslims in mayo? like ye i find that odd. what is wrong with that provided that they are here legally? if they are so concerned maybe they should go back to attending mass. they also seem to forget that romanians are legally allowed to be here. by the way most of europe even romanians are intolerant to gypies (not that it is an excuse)

i believe you need to check up on irish history when ye blab on about the irish disporia. they are legally allowed to be in the uk and always have been for it was part of the empire for 800 years. america has always been a country for immigration for all countries and irish people have been very much part of its history look how many of their presidents have irish blood,even george w bush has ancestors from here. irish people have their status for their contributions to those societies, such as infrastructure and politics (jfk anyone?) they are noticeable because of this and their distinctive culture. america is like a second home for irish people.

italy has a worse reputation than ireland for immigration issues, why not rave on about the massive italian communities in other countires?or the british? harping on about the irish like the way you do can sound pretty dearly beloved too.