ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Questions about GNIB Cards - Stamp 4

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

BigAppleWoodenShoe

Questions about GNIB Cards - Stamp 4

Post by BigAppleWoodenShoe » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:02 pm

So, I am very confused right about now. I have been talking to my hubby's HR, and they told me that they will help me get a work permit.

I was offered a part-time position with the university, but I thought part-times can't offer work permits?!?!

They said they will help me get a work permit with this postion, but eventually I should apply for a Stamp 4 on my card....

Well, I am assuming they are talking about my GNIB card. But, when I went to Cork Garda Immigration, they said that I can't get a GNIB card until my residence card comes through. I went there twice...is it possible that the lady I talked to was totally off her rocker?

I mean, if all we need is a Stamp 4 to skip over the need for a residence card/work permit, I assume all of you would have done that by now! Does anybody else have a GNIB card? How/why did you get it, and what kind of stamp do you have? Can anyone direct me to a good site with more info (or should I say most accurate/up-to-date info) on the Stamp 4? Thanks so much! :D
Dutch husband, American wife, applied for a residence card, after 7 months got a Stamp 4 visa for two years. :)

BigAppleWoodenShoe

Post by BigAppleWoodenShoe » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:26 pm

Ok, I feel like a fool. I thought the GNIB was just the stamp in your passport...I didn't realize that the GNIB was the residence card! I thought you get a residence card and/or a stamp to show you registered with Garda.

But my main question is, can you get a spousal permit with part-time work?
Dutch husband, American wife, applied for a residence card, after 7 months got a Stamp 4 visa for two years. :)

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:14 pm

GNIB stands for Garda National Immigration Bureau, it is often erroneously reffered to as a green card or residence permit but it is neither. It is in fact a Certificate of Registration which simply proves that you have obtained permission to remain in Ireland, as evidenced by the stamp you get in your passport.

Stamp 4 is the best you can get because it allows you to work without a work permit. They used to issue stamp 4 to Work Authorisation holders for 2 years at a time, and I believe spouses of EU citizens used to receive this stamp. In addition people who obtain long term residence also gets stamp 4 unless this has changed.

Because Spousal Permits are not subject to the same conditions as regular work permits it should be possible to obtain even if the work is part-time.

microlab

Post by microlab » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:36 pm

Does anybody else have a GNIB card? How/why did you get it, and what kind of stamp do you have?
My wife was granted twice.This was before all this EU1 fiasco.
Basicaly she got the letter from EU traety section confirming her residence status in Ireland.With that letter we went to GNIB where she was issued card and got stamp 4 in her passport.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:10 pm

Stamp 4 is one of the 4 stamps you can receive after registering with the GNIB. The Stamp 4 Residency permit is also granted to Refugees and spouses of Irish Citizens. The stamps are usually 5 years in duration, or shorter if the passport is valid for a shorter period.

After getting this Stamp, you also need to get a GNIB card which shows the Stamp 4 Residency Status on a credit card sized ID with photo.

BigAppleWoodenShoe

Post by BigAppleWoodenShoe » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:26 pm

Ok, thanks for you help, guys! I see that the GNIB is different from a residence card. But I am still confused about so much!!! I have been working with a couple people from the husband's HR (he is employed at a university here). She said I can get a GNIB card but I have to go to Dublin.

Well, when I was coming here, I read on the Citizen's Action website (formerly known as Oasis) that I have to register and get my GNIB as soon as I arrived here. It said you could go to the Garda Immigration closest to your residence.

I went to the Garda Immigration in Cork (on Anglesa Street), and they told me you CANNOT get a GNIB card until you have a residence card. They said that's a new rule.

But now, I got this email (see below), and she is insisting I can get a GNIB card, but only in Dublin!!!

Can anybody shed some light on this for me???

I thought you all may be interested in the email though, because it gives some more information on spousal work permits.
Hi XXX,

I hope you are OK.

Thanks for you e-mail. Do not worry about you work permit as it is going to be different type of permit for you and you do not need to have a full time position etc... UCC will apply for so called spousal work permit for you as you husband is an EU national. The normal rules for a work permit application do not apply to spousal applications. To get such work permit the only major requirements are:

- You should be getting a minimum wage which is € 8.40/hour at the moment

- You will need your GNIB card

- To get you GNIB card you need to go to Dublin to GNIB office on 13/15 Burgh Quay, Dublin 2

- GNIB in Dublin should issue you with a stamp 1 or stamp 3, (this cannot be obtained form a regular Garda Station!)

- For GNIB you will need to bring your passport, your husband (or his passport) and your marriage certificate.

UCC can apply for a spousal work permit for you, provided you supply them with copies of your marriage certificate, your passport and your husband's passport (evidence that he is an EU national).

Let me know if you have any problems or something is unclear. I am also in touch with XXX.

Very warm regards

Dr. Magdalena Wislocka
Researcher Mobility Office Ireland
Irish Universities Association
Last edited by BigAppleWoodenShoe on Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum

Post by Platinum » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:13 pm

When I was here on a work permit, this is what they happened:

I went to the GNIB offices on Burgh Quay, with my passport and work permit. They stamped my passport for the length of time my work permit is valid (mostly a year) and then gave me a credit card-sized GNIB card. I'm pretty sure this card is just for identification purposes. It's that stamp in my passport that proves I was legally working in Ireland. Coming back into Ireland after travelling, they pretty much only looked in my passport for the stamp- sometimes they didn't even ask me for the card.

Regarding UCC thinking you'll be able to get a card without any kind of residency stamp in your passport: they're wrong. The GNIB offices, in Dublin or elsewhere, won't give you a card or any kind of stamp. I'm pretty sure the HR people at UCC don't know this. Hell, it seems like sometimes the people at the GNIB offices aren't quite sure what's happening. However, I'm equally sure you won't be able to convince the UCC people that this is the case. You'll pretty much have to come into Dublin and be refused at the GNIB offices before they'll believe you.

Anyway, it might be worth a shot; you never know. You could get someone at the window of the GNIB who isn't totally up to date on this particular point, and may give you some kind of stamp and a card.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:02 pm

Just to clarify on the Stamps:

� Stamp 1 indicates the person has a work permit (either through a specific employer or holiday work permit)
� Stamp 2 indicates that the person is a full time student.
� Stamp 3 is a limited stamp which indicates that the person cannot work, or study full time in Ireland (e.g. spouse dependant)
� Stamp 4 is a stamp issued to people on work visas/work authorisations, and also to e.g. spouses of Irish citizens, refugees, people with Irish Born Child residency, people with long term residency status.

So I dont see how you could work on a Stamp 3 Residency Permit. I'm not sure which Stamp they normally issue to people who are issued Spousal Work Permits, Stamp 1 perhaps? What did you get Platinum?

As for what UCC say about the GNIB, that is incorrect. The main branch of the GNIB (Garda National Immigration Bureau) is in Burgh Quay, but they do have offices in other Garda stations around the country. You should be able to apply for all GNIB stamps & cards as the local offices.

As Platinum said, you will not get an GNIB Card until you have a Stamp (1-4) on your passport. The GNIB card is merely an ID card that mirrors the info in your passport. If you have no stamp in your passport, they cannot issue you with a GNIB Card. Normally you need to register with the GNIB within 3 months of arrival if you intend to stay longer than 3 months. That is stated in many DOJ documents and presumably on teh Entry Stamp in your passport which you received when entering Ireland? But as in your situation, as you have not received a Stamp during this time, they can't issue you with a GNIB card which shows your Residency Status. Bit of a catch 22.

I think the correct order would be to get your Spousal Work Permit, and then go to the GNIB offices (Dublin or elsewhere) to get your Passport stamped with the Residence Permit, and while there get your GNIB Card. Presumably then you can apply for your Re-Entry visa (if you need it).

microlab

Post by microlab » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:17 pm

For GNIB you will need to bring your passport, your husband (or his passport) and your marriage certificate.
I was in GNIB the other day with my wife so she could transfer stamp 4 into her new passport.I asked as a metter of interest if she could get extension and new card..The guy replied that she would need letter from EU Treaty Section confirming her status to be able to that.
It cant be done any other way.

I always wondered how this guy managed to obtain card and stamp for his wife....?
Just doesnt make sense to me :?
zen63

Hi All,

Today we got our registered letter from the Justice dept. We were waiting 5 months and 1 week from start to finish.

The letter is one and a half pages of jargon that reads like they have declined the residence. However we took the letter to the GNIB in cork, and they confirmed that this was the correct letter.

My wife then got her passport stamped with permission to stay for a further year, and given a residence card.

We still need to get a multivisa to leave the country and come back - but we are told this only takes a couple of days from Dublin.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 40&start=0

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:01 pm

I know someone who got the residence card(1 year) in december 2006 even though they had never lived in another E.U country as a couple.They had been married for a few years before and had a child.

microlab

Post by microlab » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:08 pm

I think that is not possible anymore.
They obviously have instructions not to issue anything unless there is a letter confirming the status of the person.