ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indian passport surrender and OCI Query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

uk_res
Newly Registered

Indian passport surrender and OCI Query

Post by uk_res » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:47 pm

Hello board members,
I have been immensely helped throughout by reading on this forum. Here is my query:-
I have just received naturalisation approval and have scheduled ceremony on 16th Jan. I am due to travel to India this Easter.
1) Can I surrender my Indian passport just on British citizenship certificate or do I need to hold British passport as well.
2) Can I do anything in parallel to save time like apply for surrender as well as book something for OCI.
3) My Husband and kids already have British passport, so another option for me is to delay my British Citizenship ceremony and travel to India on Indian passport and do surrender and OCI for kids (Husband not travelling) and later apply for my surrender and OCI, but will that be costly because I have heard that OCI is costly per individual application rather than joint application

VR

Re: Indian passport surrender and OCI Query

Post by VR » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:28 pm

Hi,

1) Can I surrender my Indian passport just on British citizenship certificate or do I need to hold British passport as well.
No
2) Can I do anything in parallel to save time like apply for surrender as well as book something for OCI.
No
3) My Husband and kids already have British passport, so another option for me is to delay my British Citizenship ceremony and
travel to India on Indian passport and do surrender and OCI for kids (Husband not travelling) and later apply for my surrender and OCI, but will that be costly because I have heard that OCI is costly per individual application rather than joint application

It does not make any difference delaying the Citizenship Ceremony. What date are you planning to travel to India? You can travel to India on your Indian Passport 3 months from 16th January.

Also I suggest you attend the ceremony on 16th. Immediately get your Passport Application pack ready. Photograph signed by a referee, also when you get your Citizenship Certificate ensure your name is spelt properly as in your Indian Passport. The value in between the *Asterix* should be your surname. Anycase the guy in the Post office will check.

Now it is an easy season and people get their passports within 4 weeks.
You can worst case apply for OCI when you return. I believe it will be possible for you to surrender your Indian Passport and put in your OCI application before you leave.
And you can collect the OCI stamp on return. I am basing my suggestions on the current timelines and processes involved.
If you are applying from London the above will work like a treat.
Cheers
vr

uk_res
Newly Registered

Post by uk_res » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:52 am

Thanks for prompt reply I was thinking on same lines. I am travelling out on 1st April and coming back on 23rd April which is more than 3 months from 16th Jan. is joint application to OCI cheaper than 2 individual applications? I couldn't find this info anywhere

VR

Post by VR » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:36 am

Being Indian you should know how the mindset works. Nope you wont get a discount on the fees. At best you can write a single check.
Indian Definitions to Remember:
NRI - Not Required Indians/Non Relevant Indians (There are many here who are on the voting lists but find their votes have been cast in absentia :-))
OCI- Overseas CashCow Indians (Milk them dry GBP175 each time their passport expires after making them stand in the cold and rain)
cheers
vr

Re:OCI Query

Post by 2321 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:16 pm

Hi
I am currently unemployed so what do I put in employer address column ?

Some one pls reply.

Thanks

ITGraduate
Member of Standing

Post by ITGraduate » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:29 pm

[quote="VR"]Being Indian you should know how the mindset works. Nope you wont get a discount on the fees. At best you can write a single check.
NRI - Not Required Indians/Non Relevant Indians (There are many here who are on the voting lists but find their votes have been cast in absentia :-))
OCI- Overseas CashCow Indians (Milk them dry GBP175 each time their passport expires after making them stand in the cold and rain)
cheers
vr[/quote]

Legendery !!! True statement!!! £175 for 10 yrs ( until your passport expires is rip off )

What happens if your passport runs out of pages? Ia m abusiness traveller and my UK passport pages are almost finished in 2 years.

Thanks

tier_2_applicant

Post by tier_2_applicant » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:25 pm

HCI London website says that the fee for transferring visa to new passport is £18.

May be I am missing something?
ITGraduate wrote:
VR wrote:Being Indian you should know how the mindset works. Nope you wont get a discount on the fees. At best you can write a single check.
cheers
vr

Legendery !!! True statement!!! £175 for 10 yrs ( until your passport expires is rip off )

What happens if your passport runs out of pages? Ia m abusiness traveller and my UK passport pages are almost finished in 2 years.

Thanks

uk_res
Newly Registered

Post by uk_res » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:10 pm

Thanks for interesting comments. My query was whether I stand to lose if I apply for Surrender / OCI for Kids now (they already hold British passport) and apply for mine when I receive my British passport (ceremony on 16th Jan and the will apply for passport). This way I will only have to apply for my visa in March in case I doubt that my OCI will be not ready before travel. From HCILONDON I gather following:-

Sumission section
------------
Application Form: OCI being an Internet-based process. All applicants have to apply by online registration through Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India website https://passport.gov.in/oci. Important steps :
Once you fill up Part-A online, Save, and give Print command. Part-A with online registration number (GBRLN) will be printed along with Part-B.
For each family application Part-B is common to all applicants of the family up to a maximum of four. Separate applications are required for any other additional members.

Fees section
----------
◦£175.00 (£173+£2) for each OCI (fresh) application including minors.

Doesnt that mean that if I make one family application then I pay £175 (per family application) and if I make separate application for myself later I end up paying it twice.

I hope the question is clear. It is very difficult to get through anyone in HCI for queries and information on website is not very clear

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:29 pm

uk_res wrote:Fees section
----------
◦£175.00 (£173+£2) for each OCI (fresh) application including minors.

Doesnt that mean that if I make one family application then I pay £175 (per family application) and if I make separate application for myself later I end up paying it twice.

I hope the question is clear. It is very difficult to get through anyone in HCI for queries and information on website is not very clear
£175 for each OCI application including minors. There is no discount for any family application - except in family application you need to submit one copy of Part B.

whether you apply together or separate - the fee is £175 x number of applicants.

uk_res
Newly Registered

Post by uk_res » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:47 pm

Thanks, nothing can be more clearer than your statement. Last 2 queries:-
1) Three months grace period for using Indian passport is applicable for travelling to Indian or travelling with stay and come back?. I have ceremony scheduled on 16th Jan and travelling to India on 6th April and coming back on 24th April. Since 3 months from 16 Jan get over on 15th April, does it mean I will have to pay penalty. Also I would have surrendered my Indian passport after receiving British passport in anticipation of getting getting OCI in time for my travel but this is just in case if things do not work out.
2) Should I apply for visa just 2 weeks before my travel, to avoid penalty (just to avoid being on wrongside of law).

uk_res
Newly Registered

Post by uk_res » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:29 pm

Hello, Can some board members please take time to reply?

pariday
Newly Registered

oci application query

Post by pariday » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:57 pm

uk_res wrote:Hello board members,
I have been immensely helped throughout by reading on this forum. Here is my query:-
I have just received naturalisation approval and have scheduled ceremony on 16th Jan. I am due to travel to India this Easter.
3) My Husband and kids already have British passport, so another option for me is to delay my British Citizenship ceremony and travel to India on Indian passport and do surrender and OCI for kids (Husband not travelling) and later apply for my surrender and OCI, but will that be costly because I have heard that OCI is costly per individual application rather than joint application