ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship after long absences

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

AndyGandhi
Newly Registered

British Citizenship after long absences

Post by AndyGandhi » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:01 pm

Hello Seniors / Moderators,

I have the query, with regard to my timing for British Citizenship application.
I came to UK in Oct. 2006, on work visa & then converted to Tier 1(G), in Mar 2009. I got the permanent residency in Jan 2012.
In Jan 2012, when I was awarded ILR, I had a total of 570 days, absences from UK, out of which 470 days were due to assignment outside UK, by my then British employer. Only 100 days were due to personal absences.
Due to my personal situations, I had to go out of UK in April 2012. From then on, I returned to UK, end of Dec. 2013. During this time, I was not in employment in UK & was not being paid in UK. Due to family breakdown, I did not have my family in UK. In total this absence is approx. 637 days.

My query is as under:
1) What are the chances that the absences before ILR(570) will be disregarded for British Citizenship, in case I make an application.
2) Can I make the application, after one year, so satisfy the 90 days rule in one year before the application?
3) If the absences before ILR(570) are not disregarded, when can I make an application for BC. The major absences started from June 2010, when I was assigned abroad. Then I returned to UK in Oct. 2011.
4) As per residency requirements, one has to be present in UK, 5 yrs. before the application is made. Does it mean the physical presence or the presence due to being paid in UK is also considered.

I look forward to some light on my case.
I thank in advance for the readers & people who share their experiences.

Andy

VR

Re: British Citizenship after long absences

Post by VR » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:36 pm

AndyGandhi,

There is no distinction between personal absences and Official absences as such. However in exercising discretion they will consider that absences were due to nature of the job/service and its a plus if you were in crown service or on behalf of a British company abroad.

You say when you got back you were without ajob. It will depend on the kind of documents you have to prove that your company sent you out during your employment/service.

Second point you say your family are not here because of family breakdown. This is one other criteria they use to exercise their discretion when it comes to long absences above the limit. Whether you family are in UK or your commitment to UK in the form of assets/house in UK(Title deeds of which are usually the best supports).

Third point you can apply after a year ensuring the 90 day rule is satisfied. There is no need for you to be in an employment. However all other residency requirments need to be met (Please refer to the FAQ on this forum) and especially there is this requirement to be physically present in UK before the 5 years before the date of your application.''There is no such thing as logical presence'' because you were on UK payroll.

Also please do search this forum using ''Absences''. There are many detailed posts on this subject which will help you decide the best course of action.
cheers
vr

AndyGandhi
Newly Registered

Post by AndyGandhi » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:57 pm

VR wrote:AndyGandhi,

There is no distinction between personal absences and Official absences as such. However in exercising discretion they will consider that absences were due to nature of the job/service and its a plus if you were in crown service or on behalf of a British company abroad.

You say when you got back you were without ajob. It will depend on the kind of documents you have to prove that your company sent you out during your employment/service.

Second point you say your family are not here because of family breakdown. This is one other criteria they use to exercise their discretion when it comes to long absences above the limit. Whether you family are in UK or your commitment to UK in the form of assets/house in UK(Title deeds of which are usually the best supports).

Third point you can apply after a year ensuring the 90 day rule is satisfied. There is no need for you to be in an employment. However all other residency requirments need to be met (Please refer to the FAQ on this forum) and especially there is this requirement to be physically present in UK before the 5 years before the date of your application.''There is no such thing as logical presence'' because you were on UK payroll.

Also please do search this forum using ''Absences''. There are many detailed posts on this subject which will help you decide the best course of action.
cheers
vr
Thanks for your replies,VR.Much appreciated.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:07 pm

Just to clarify the qualifying period for naturalisation. It's 5 years before the application reaches the HO. There is no distinction between time before ILR and after. Just the last 5 years and the last 1 year.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:25 am

AndyGandhi wrote:Hello Seniors / Moderators,

I came to UK in Oct. 2006, on work visa & then converted to Tier 1(G), in Mar 2009. I got the permanent residency in Jan 2012.
In Jan 2012, when I was awarded ILR, I had a total of 570 days, absences from UK, out of which 470 days were due to assignment outside UK, by my then British employer. Only 100 days were due to personal absences.
Due to my personal situations, I had to go out of UK in April 2012. From then on, I returned to UK, end of Dec. 2013. During this time, I was not in employment in UK & was not being paid in UK. Due to family breakdown, I did not have my family in UK. In total this absence is approx. 637 days.

My query is as under:
1) What are the chances that the absences before ILR(570) will be disregarded for British Citizenship, in case I make an application.
2) Can I make the application, after one year, so satisfy the 90 days rule in one year before the application?
3) If the absences before ILR(570) are not disregarded, when can I make an application for BC. The major absences started from June 2010, when I was assigned abroad. Then I returned to UK in Oct. 2011.
4) As per residency requirements, one has to be present in UK, 5 yrs. before the application is made. Does it mean the physical presence or the presence due to being paid in UK is also considered.

Andy
I am not a senior or a moderator but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in as I applied for discretion with absences exceeding 450 days over the previous five year period, and my application was granted. My absences were due to holidays.

1.) Nobody can give you chances. However, your total absences over the past 5 years tallies to over 900 days (1,177 days). You might want to read: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary If you were a resident in the UK for 2 years before the 5 year qualifying period then discretion can be applied to up to 900 days so long as you meet all other requirements.

2.) You will have to satisfy the other residency requirement (e.g. no absences for more than 90 days in the 12 months before application) at the time of application. Discretion is not usually exercised for both residency requirements unless your absences are due to Crown Service or the like.

3.) As per Jambo's advice. ILR only comes into play as you're required to have it for 12 months prior to application for naturalization unless you're applying as a spouse of British Citizen (which doesn't appear to be the case here).

4.) As per VR's advice. You must have been physically in the UK five years before the date of application. Therefore, you'll be in difficulty applying for naturalization between June 2015 - October 2016 and April 2017 - December 2018 as you were outside the UK during this time.

It's a risk to apply for discretion for absences. If I remember correctly, it's the second reason that applications are refused. If you can spare the 874GBP then take the punt. However, I would think that your current chances are slim to none, and (subject to changes in law) you'll have a much better chance of applying in November 2016 where you'll only be asking for discretion for 637 days. However, you'll still be taking an expensive punt on discretion being applied.

AndyGandhi
Newly Registered

Post by AndyGandhi » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:27 pm

Just Wondering wrote:
AndyGandhi wrote:Hello Seniors / Moderators,

My query is as under:

Andy
I am not a senior or a moderator but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in as I applied for discretion with absences exceeding 450 days over the previous five year period, and my application was granted. My absences were due to holidays.

1.) Nobody can give you chances. However, your total absences over the past 5 years tallies to over 900 days (1,177 days). You might want to read: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary If you were a resident in the UK for 2 years before the 5 year qualifying period then discretion can be applied to up to 900 days so long as you meet all other requirements.

2.) You will have to satisfy the other residency requirement (e.g. no absences for more than 90 days in the 12 months before application) at the time of application. Discretion is not usually exercised for both residency requirements unless your absences are due to Crown Service or the like.

3.) As per Jambo's advice. ILR only comes into play as you're required to have it for 12 months prior to application for naturalization unless you're applying as a spouse of British Citizen (which doesn't appear to be the case here).

4.) As per VR's advice. You must have been physically in the UK five years before the date of application. Therefore, you'll be in difficulty applying for naturalization between June 2015 - October 2016 and April 2017 - December 2018 as you were outside the UK during this time.

It's a risk to apply for discretion for absences. If I remember correctly, it's the second reason that applications are refused. If you can spare the 874GBP then take the punt. However, I would think that your current chances are slim to none, and (subject to changes in law) you'll have a much better chance of applying in November 2016 where you'll only be asking for discretion for 637 days. However, you'll still be taking an expensive punt on discretion being applied.
Dear Justwondering,
I am very thankful to you for providing a detailed reply to my case. I also agree, that it is good to apply in Nov. 2016.
Andy