ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Natuarlisation for spouse under 3 year rule

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ralsv
Newly Registered

Natuarlisation for spouse under 3 year rule

Post by ralsv » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:54 am

Hi all,

My wife entered UK on 12 Jan 2011 under Spouce of Tier 1 (General Migrant). She got her ILR on the 31st Jan 2013. I have my application for naturalisation under process.
Assuming that my application is successfull and I become a British Citizen - can my wife apply for natualisation under the spouse of a british citizen rule as when she applies
- she will be in the country for over 3 year and currently (at the time of application) married to a British Citizen.

So is there a rule/clause that she should have married to a british citizen for 3 yrs i.e after my becoming a british citizen + 3 yrs so assuming my application is completed by May 2014 + 3 years OR
Is she eligible to apply for natualisation after I am a british citizen and the rule - spouse for 3 years of british citizen as we married in Jan 2011.

I hope I have put down things correctly - In case of any confusion please let me know.
Thanks,
Rals

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Natuarlisation for spouse under 3 year rule

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:03 am

Any legal stay during the 3 years and married to a BC at the time of naturalisation application. Once you are approved and receive your certificate, she can apply as long as she meets all the requirements
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ralsv
Newly Registered

Post by ralsv » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:43 am

Thanks CR001.
So its not 3 years after I have attained citizenship.
Its just married for 3 years and at the time of application I should be a British Citizen.

Hope my interpretation is correct :)

Thanks,
Rals

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:09 pm

You don't have to be married for 3 years, how long you have been married is not relevant.

It is 'married to a BC at the time of application'. For example, I was separated from my husband when I applied on the basis of marriage to a BC and I was approved.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:07 pm

It's
a) 3 years of residence.
b) Marriage to a BC.

They are independent conditions.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)