ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dutch Nationality

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ricardoassano
Newly Registered

Dutch Nationality

Post by ricardoassano » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:09 pm

I am a Dutch national living and working in UKfor the past seven years
My son who is Non-EEA national joined me in the UK when he was 16years a couple years ago. He has a staying permit for 5 years after which I can apply for an indefinite stay for him. I wanted to know If I can apply for Dutch nationality for him. If it is possible how do I go about it? where do I start from. please advise.

I had this child when I was in my home country Ghana with a girl I never got married to before I moved to Holland and met my girlfriend (no longer together) I have documentation to prove I have been taking care of him since his birth hence the possibility him joining me in the UK. I don't know where his mum is at the moment and I had to take him away from her when she had no time and love for him. He hasn't seem his mum since he was 4 years.
Last edited by ricardoassano on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Re: Dutch Nationality

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:48 pm

I am moving this to the European section.

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:45 pm

Normally the child of a Dutch national acquires Dutch nationality automatically at birth (article 3.1 of the Dutch Nationality Act).
Before you can expect any useful advice here, please provide a bit more detail and especially explain why this did not happen in your son's case.
For general information about the procedure, see https://www.ind.nl/documents/3008.pdf. In any case you will need to contact the Dutch Embassy in London.

splanky
Australia

Post by splanky » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:25 am

I went through something similar with my daughter recently. We are Australian, her father is Dutch. After many calls to the Dutch consulate and her father doing much research, we found that in her case gaining Dutch citizenship was as simple as getting a Dutch passport. A ton of supporting documents were needed with the passport application, but we got there in the end.

I do recall from my research that there might have been a cut-off age for gaining Dutch citizenship, but I'm not sure. My daughter was only six when she got the passport.

Good luck.

Splanky

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:30 am

I think the safer option for your son is to get Permanent Residence in UK (EEA4) first, after five years in UK. One year after getting PR he can apply for British Citizenship.
I don't think the Dutch route is feasible for him.