ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

proving residency

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

royh

proving residency

Post by royh » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:17 am

I have ILR since 1984, also have refugee status. Never left the country except for a day trip to France in the early 1990's during a school trip.

As I understand it, you do not prove residency using payslips, you need to show your residency permit stamps on your passport ( work permit, T1, T2, HSMP..... etc) for 5 years and 1 yr ILR (Biometric Residency Permit).

Since I have been here for so long I have none of those things (Biometric Residency Permit, work permit etc.) that are required/given to foreigners on settling/working, I don't have them either way.

Over the last 5 years I have gaps where I have never visited my GP or been employed (not a crime last time I checked). I understand bank and credit card bills don't count and I don't pay utility bills where I live, plus two ppl where I live have priority to pay council tax so I don't pay that. As I have been unemployed I have no P60's to cover any gaps and not seen GP for some time, but do have NHS letters for recent dental work, was on benefits some 3 years back, what can I do to prove residency? Or, more accurately, what do I need to show?

Am I overlapping two different requirements, showing I haven't left the country (that more than 90/270 days outside the United Kingdom thing) and "residency requirements"? How do I prove a negative in that case? Where the default position is that I have been out of the country because I have no proof I haven't left?

Just Wondering

Re: proving residency

Post by Just Wondering » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:37 pm

Do you have a passport covering the past 5 years?

If not then you need to explain why you do not have a passport and letters from employers, educational establishments or other Government Departments indicating your presence in the United Kingdom during the last five years. So, if you were employed, letters from your employer. If you were unemployed, letters from DWP stating you were in receipt of benefits. You also should have been noted on the electoral roll.

See page 14 of the Guide http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ide_an.pdf

royh

Post by royh » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:24 pm

I think you have to be a citizen to be able to vote/on the electoral register ~:)

Since I came under my parents passport in the 80's I never had one. Before 1989 children didn't need one iirc, so never got one until 2003.

My latest passport I got from June 2013. This is my second passport.

My first passport I got in 2003 and expired in 2008. From 2008 to 2013 I had no passport (or more accurately didn't renew it). The Home Office held onto my first one when I sent it in to get stamped with ILR in 2003. It was only after a SAR and going through my embassy that they returned it with no expanation whatsoever. My embassy told me nationals from my country and surrounding countries have had problems with HO not returning passports until lawyers and embassies get involved. And then they give no explanation, they just return it.

None of my passports have biometrics on them or travel stamps or endorsed with anything like ILR or whatever.

Should I explain that's why I don't have a passport (or a non-expired one for 2008-2013)? Also as per the query I can show benefits for some periods of time, but there are gaps when I wasn't working or receiving benefits or in education (no I wasn't in jail or nothing like that :P ).

Before applying for naturalisation I want to make sure I won't be refused and banned for 10 years because of this and will also go through NCS and make sure they understand my concerns and either proceed or not.

rikken

Post by rikken » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:40 pm

royh wrote:I think you have to be a citizen to be able to vote/on the electoral register ~:)
It depends on where you're from. If you're from a Commonwealth country, you can be put on the electoral roll without being a citizen, in fact you don't even need to be a permanent resident. I voted in the 2010 election on a UK Ancestry visa (I'm Australian).

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:29 pm

If your passport doesn't have any stamps or visas then it's just indicative that you did not travel outside the country. You should explain that you don't have a passport that covers 2008-2013 - and submit your current passport and last passport. You need to prove residency - so give as much evidence as possible and provide an explanation wherever there are gaps.

Going through NCS is a good idea. When in doubt, they do call the Home Office (and have a special line) to ask queries. The did so twice during my appointment.

Regarding the electoral roll, those who are not eligible to vote need to be declared on the form (as well as those who do), if I remember correctly.

royh

Post by royh » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:00 am

Coming back to this thread since this is the last hurdle before applying (I think) and I want to make sure.
Just Wondering wrote:Regarding the electoral roll, those who are not eligible to vote need to be declared on the form (as well as those who do), if I remember correctly.
Are you sure?

http://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/faq/AR8.html
http://www.gov.uk/electoral-register/overview
How do I register on the electoral roll?

To add your name to the electoral roll at your current address contact your local authority and ask for a registration form. To register you need to be:

A British or other Commonwealth, Irish, or European citizen
18 years of age or over (although if you are soon to be 18 you may be eligible to register)
I will check this. I remember seeing a recent letter with the ppl who could vote in this household and logically my name wasn't on it since 'm not a citizen. It doesn't make sense to me that the electoral roll will have my name on it in some form or another.

Also I came across this:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... ml#p756626
vinny wrote:Get confirmation from your Embassy stating that they did not issue you with a new travel document, following your passport's expiry. Therefore, you were unable to travel outside the UK during the relevant period.
Is this a viable option? What if I didn't put my name down in the electoral roll will they use that against me despite having the letter from the embassy?

ElWilly
Newly Registered

Post by ElWilly » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:21 pm

Hi all I found a website that states that to apply for a naturalization we need:

A confirmation of your residence in the United Kingdom IN ADDITION TO: Passport. I am wondering what is this confirmation thing and where do I get it? Is it really necessary?

The website is this: http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content ... ed-produce

Thank you very much for your help.

ElWilly
Newly Registered

Post by ElWilly » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:40 pm

As part of confirmation of my residence address:

Do I need to provide documentation such as bank statements or bills of the last 5 years as proof of residence?

If so do I need to send ALL of them? or 1 or 2 for each year?

Please help I am confused.

Best regards.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:16 pm

ElWilly wrote:Hi all I found a website that states that to apply for a naturalization we need:

A confirmation of your residence in the United Kingdom IN ADDITION TO: Passport. I am wondering what is this confirmation thing and where do I get it? Is it really necessary?

The website is this: http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content ... ed-produce

Thank you very much for your help.
In general I would rely on guidance from the Gov UK website rather than local NCS sites which may paraphrase the guidance &requirements.

The wording is slightly misleading but it goes on to say:.
If you do not have a passport or travel document you will need to supply alternative evidence of residency and identification
It means: if you have a passport with entry (exit stamps) that will be accepted.

BUT it really depends where you are from; for example, an EEA national may not have a stamped passport so alternatives (&/or PR card) then become more significant.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.