ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Blog: Irish Immigration Sucks!

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

limey

Blog: Irish Immigration Sucks!

Post by limey » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:30 pm

I found this blog on the frustrations of a Non-EU national and an EU national trying to get residence in Ireland.

Maybe it is someone from this forum...

http://wordpress.com/tag/immigration-sucks/

The saga continues on my current legal status in Ireland. For a brief recap…The EU issues certain directives for all member states to follow; however, individual states have the ability to interpret and implement these directives. Ireland’s interpretion of a particular directive is that non-EU dependents of EU-citizens seeking residence in Ireland must have had prior residence in another EU country. Keep in mind, other countries do not require this; this is purely Ireland’s interpretation of the legislation. There is a court case that is being held on June 12th, to challenge this decision. Though, to be quite frank, I am not sure how long that is going to take. My residence card is dependent upon the outcome of this case. So just more waiting, waiting, waiting…I am entering month six for my residence card. Though, I have heard that they stopped processing all applications pending the outcome of the judicial hearing.

Well, as I have told other people before, I am allowed to stay here as long as I do not engage in any employment or utilize social resources. Hmm, that does make things difficult, now doesn’t it. I have joined an Ireland immigration forum, which was the best thing I could have ever done. We discuss everthing that we have gone through, and we are all learning from each other’s mistakes. What is extremely disheartening, though, is that everybody was told the wrong information by multiple individuals. I mean, I am a prime example of that. Although I called and emailed various immigration organizations in Ireland, not one single person told me I must have evidence of previous residency in another EU country. In fact, it wasn’t even on the application form!!!

Now, I am reading sad stories where people (regardless of nationalities, I saw Americans too) are being denied their residence cards. Some of these individuals have waited 10 months or more (even though they are supposed to get a response within six months). Many are moving to the UK, Spain, or Italy, where it is much easier to establish residence. But Jaap and I have other things to consider. He is in a specific field, and we have to ensure that we go to a country where he can find work. Also, since epi positions are often funded by the state, I will probably be required to speak the native language. We both would like to work, so we need to find areas that suit both of our needs.

So, Jaap and I came here under false pretenses. Now, there is high probability that I am going to return to the USA, unless my residence card comes shortly or I get a job that will provide me with a work permit. I have applied for a job at the Cancer Registry in Cork. They did require more experience than what I have, but I am just hoping that the other candidates are worse then me! In other words, I wouldn’t mind getting the position by default.

And if you think I am kidding about this being the waiting game, I assure you I am not. I just received an email response yesterday from the Department of Justice (the branch that deals with immigration). They are supposed to answer email queries in five days. Yes…well, this response was for a query I sent back in December 2006. That’s right, folks, six months to answer an email. Why even do it at that point?!?! And the kicker is, they didn’t even answer the questions I asked!!!

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:38 pm

Yes, the author is a frequent poster on this forum.Well, I am glad we have a diverse group of people with the same problems who can encourage each other.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:11 pm