ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When should I apply for naturalisation ?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Mrbean
Newly Registered

When should I apply for naturalisation ?

Post by Mrbean » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:58 pm

Dear friends,

Just wanted to ask you quick question.
I came to uk in jan 2010 on tier 2 visa. I remained on this visa until 28/02/12.
I was granted spouse visa on 28/02/2012. Now I have acquired ILR after successfully completing the two year period. My ILR was granted on 3/02/2014. Now my question is wen will I be eligible to apply for naturalisation? What is the latest date to apply for naturalisation?
Thank you
Regards

TTOE

Re: When should I apply for naturalisation ?

Post by TTOE » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:06 pm

I suggest 03/02/2015 (12 months after your ILR) except you are married to a BC, if you are then in that instance you can apply now.

I guess your are married to a BC, if you are then you can apply tomorrow if you want.

Mrbean
Newly Registered

Post by Mrbean » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:11 pm

TTOE wrote:I suggest 03/02/2015 (12 months after your ILR) except you are married to a BC, if you are then in that instance you can apply now.

I guess your are married to a BC then you can apply tomorrow if you want.
I'm married to a british national. My spouse visa was granted on 28/02/2012. So that means I can apply now without completing 1 yr on ILR? I'm just confused :roll: plz advice me

TTOE

Post by TTOE » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:16 pm

Mrbean wrote:
TTOE wrote:I suggest 03/02/2015 (12 months after your ILR) except you are married to a BC, if you are then in that instance you can apply now.

I'm married to a british national. My spouse visa was granted on 28/02/2012. So that means I can apply now without completing 1 yr on ILR? I'm just confused :roll: plz advice me
Your are absolutely correct Mrbean and I not joking :lol: You don't have to wait for a year before you apply, being married to a BC makes you eligible to apply straight after you're given ILR.

Also you've been in the UK for more than 3 years which is also a key requirement for you.

If married to a BC, you can apply the same day you are granted ILR if you meet the spouse requirements which includes 3 years residence. Any legal stay in the UK counts.

An important requirement you should pay attention to is that you need to have been physically present in the UK at the beginning of the 3/5 years residence period i.e. the day the HO receives your application 3/5 years back. This is a pass/fail test and the HO has no discretion with this requirement.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:29 pm

Mrbean wrote:but ukba website says u have to complete 3 yrs
Correct.
2 years spouse visa and 1yr ILR
Where does the UKBA web site say so??
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

Mrbean
Newly Registered

Post by Mrbean » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:32 pm

TTOE wrote:
Mrbean wrote:

Your are absolutely correct Mrbean and I not joking :lol: You don't have to wait for a year before you apply, being married to a BC makes you eligible to apply straight after you're given ILR.

Also you've been in the UK for more than 3 years which is also a key requirement for you.

If married to a BC, you can apply the same day you are granted ILR if you meet the spouse requirements which includes 3 years residence. Any legal stay in the UK counts.

An important requirement you should pay attention to is that you need to have been physically present in the UK at the beginning of the 3/5 years residence period i.e. the day the HO receives your application 3/5 years back. This is a pass/fail test and the HO has no discretion with this requirement.
Thanks for the explanation TTOE,
one last question - I have been living with my wife only for past two years? That's really confusing me

navalaviator
Member of Standing

Post by navalaviator » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:48 pm

TTOE wrote: If married to a BC, you can apply the same day you are granted ILR if you meet the spouse requirements which includes 3 years residence. Any legal stay in the UK counts.

Thanks for the explanation TTOE,
one last question - I have been living with my wife only for past two years? That's really confusing me
hopefully it answers your confusion :wink:

Mrbean
Newly Registered

Post by Mrbean » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:45 am

Thanks friends for the reply .
Do I need to submit my BRP card as well with the form an?

TTOE

Post by TTOE » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:50 am

Mrbean wrote:Thanks friends for the reply .
If you have your ILR letter (HO ILR Letter), yes that should suffice, you don't have to send the BRP card, I sent mine though plus the letter. If you want to keep hold of your docs then consider using NCS.

Mrbean
Newly Registered

Post by Mrbean » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:36 pm

TTOE wrote:
Mrbean wrote:Thanks friends for the reply .
If you have your ILR letter (HO ILR Letter), yes that should suffice, you don't have to send the BRP card, I sent mine though plus the letter. If you want to keep hold of your docs then consider using NCS.
Thanks TTOE