ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Swiss - EU bilaterals in jeopardy

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

flyboy
Member of Standing
Switzerland

Swiss - EU bilaterals in jeopardy

Post by flyboy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:20 pm

For anyone that missed out on yesterday's vote

http://www.thelocal.ch/20140209/swiss-v ... mmigration

Plum70
Diamond Member

Re: Swiss - EU bilaterals in jeopardy

Post by Plum70 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:31 pm

My husband and I have been discussing this since the Swiss people had their say. I hail their take on direct Democracy as opposed to the farcical versions employed in most parts of the globe. My husband voted 'no' in this case, not because he is "left wing" but because unfortunately this popular initiative was largely ambiguous and failed to lucidly outline what measures will be taken to handle immigration in a balanced and effective way. However, the reality for Switzerland is one of a small, considerably wealthy but conservative country grappling with the global socio-economic changes sweeping through Europe. Since the bilateral agreements came into force, the people - in their villages, communes and cantons - have witnessed such an aggressive change to their landscape/reality that makes them anxious about their quality of living, culture and national identity. They only have to peak above the alps to see how the economies/morale/communities of some of their close neighbours have been reduced to ashes all in the name of free movement/markets/capitalism.

In Switzerland, changes happen slowly because the people decide what is best for them at a local, cantonal and federal level. They are not interested in being seduced by the EU's promises of prosperity without borders or threats of being "shut out of Europe". They have been sensible in meeting the EU half way via the bilaterals and the Schengen agreement - again, pacing themselves and allowing things time to mature and be closely monitored.

This week's vote doesn't imply that the Swiss borders will immediately shut, foreigners kicked out and all Swiss abroad sent packing. It however indicates how a majority of the Swiss people feel towards uncontrolled immigration. They are proud of a country that has taken hundreds of years to develop; one that was born of many different communities/cultures/settlements coming together to form and hold together a confederation, and wish to keep it from being diluted to the point of possible disintegration.

I hail their efforts in trying to hold fast to their identity and hope that a worthy solution comes of all this; one that is able to balance purpose with freedom.