ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for Naturalisation/BC after Retaining right of Resi

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

instavision94
Newly Registered

Applying for Naturalisation/BC after Retaining right of Resi

Post by instavision94 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:44 pm

Hi,

I have not come across this one on this forum so far and wondering if some one could answer a few questions.

A bit of background:

I am a Non EEA national legally in the UK since 2003 (student visa, Work permit etc)
Got married to EEA national in Jul 2008 and switched from work permit to Family member of EEA national which was valid till Jul 2014
Marriage broke down and divorced in Aug 2012 and Retained right of residency
After completing 5 years from the date of marriage I applied for PR in Jul 2013
Due to delay in processing time I was granted PR on the Sep 2013

So far I have had the following information which I have found from this forum Citizenship FAQs - Common Questions - R ... e posting.

Under EEA regulations, Permanent Residence status is obtained automatically after 5 years of exercising treaty rights. You need to hold PR status for 1 year to be eligible for naturalisation (unless you are married to a BC) so effectively you can apply after 6 years of residence in the UK. Having a PR Confirmation (following EEA3/EEA4 application) is optional and is not required in order to apply for naturalisation.

You have two options:

1. Apply after 6 years in the UK. This includes 5 years of exercising treaty rights + 1 year with PR. You will need to provide proof of the 5 years (similar to what is needed in EEA3/EEA4 application). Form AN has a specific section (Q2.4-2.6) for such application.

2. Apply 1 year after the issue date of the PR Confirmation (EEA3/EEA4). In this case, there is no need to prove treaty rights again and normally just your passport (and Life in the UK test) is required.

If you hold a PR Confirmation for less than 1 year but have lived in the UK for 6 years, you can apply using option (1). The PR confirmation can only be used if you apply 1 year after the issue date. The reason is that the PR Confirmation only contains one date - issue date. It doesn't state when the PR status was actually acquired. If you want to use a PR date prior to the issue date, you will need to provide treaty rights proof to prove it.

Questions:

1) I understand I have to have 5 years + 1 year PR. But does this 1 year PR start from the day it was stamped or is it a matter of completing 6 years in total? Am I right in understanding I can apply for naturalisation in Jul 2014?

2) Assuming I apply for naturalisation in Jul 2014 how long will it take for me to get my BC?

3) If I use option 1 it says I have to provide proof of the 5 years of exercising treaty rights. So will I have to prove I was exercising treaty rights just for myself of do I have to do the same for my Ex wife?

Sorry it is bit long winded but any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Applying for Naturalisation/BC after Retaining right of

Post by Jambo » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:24 am

instavision94 wrote: 1) I understand I have to have 5 years + 1 year PR. But does this 1 year PR start from the day it was stamped or is it a matter of completing 6 years in total? Am I right in understanding I can apply for naturalisation in Jul 2014?
You need to have PR for at least one year. You have obtained PR in July 2013. The whole point is how do you prove you had it for at least 1 year. Either the date on the PR card (which would mean applying later) or evidence to show when PR was actually automatically obtained.

Two months to process PR application is pretty fast for the HO. I would wait the extra two months just to cut the paperwork and make the application simple.
2) Assuming I apply for naturalisation in Jul 2014 how long will it take for me to get my BC?
Normally it takes 2-3 months but can take longer.
3) If I use option 1 it says I have to provide proof of the 5 years of exercising treaty rights. So will I have to prove I was exercising treaty rights just for myself of do I have to do the same for my Ex wife?
Basically the exact same evidence you used for the EEA4 application.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

instavision94
Newly Registered

Post by instavision94 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:40 am

Jambo...Many thanks for your reply.
Two months to process PR application is pretty fast for the HO. I would wait the extra two months just to cut the paperwork and make the application simple.
I made it sound simple. In fact I had sent my documents to HO in Nov 2012 for Retaining my rights. HO already had my documents from then. So when I qualified for my PR in Jul 2013 they were still dealing with my ROR. A bit of luck and push from my MP I was granted PR in sep 2013
If I use option 1 it says I have to provide proof of the 5 years of exercising treaty rights. So will I have to prove I was exercising treaty rights just for myself of do I have to do the same for my Ex wife?
Basically the exact same evidence you used for the EEA4 application.
Sorry Jambo... Just to clarify... exact same evidence I used for the EEA4 application. Does this mean just for myself or provide proof for my ex wife too?

Thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:37 pm

instavision94 wrote:exact same evidence I used for the EEA4 application. Does this mean just for myself or provide proof for my ex wife too?
Exact same evidence for both of you. Your wife's evidence for the first 4 years (until the divorce) and yours since then until you complete 5 years. Just wait two months until September. Would be simpler - just the PR Confirmation. No evidence of treaty rights is required at all (not even from you).

instavision94
Newly Registered

Post by instavision94 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:48 pm

Thank you so much Jambo. Much appreciated

kroketa
Newly Registered

Post by kroketa » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:07 pm

Jambo wrote:
instavision94 wrote:exact same evidence I used for the EEA4 application. Does this mean just for myself or provide proof for my ex wife too?
Exact same evidence for both of you. Your wife's evidence for the first 4 years (until the divorce) and yours since then until you complete 5 years. Just wait two months until September. Would be simpler - just the PR Confirmation. No evidence of treaty rights is required at all (not even from you).
Is there a chance that the BC can be refused when you submit exactly the same evidences that were sent to HO (and PR granted)?

I am in a similar to author's situation — applied to PR in Oct 2012, waited for loooong 14 months for HO to process my application and then were granted PR in Jan 2014... And now wonder if I should wait another year or apply straight away using the evidences that I sent earlier.

Thanks

austin100

Post by austin100 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:29 am

Pls, what documents did submit for PR. After Retaining Right of Residence ?
Did You Submit your ex - spouse documents when applying for PR. Or it was just only your own document you submitted
Thanks

instavision94
Newly Registered

Post by instavision94 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:48 pm

Hi Austin,

I submitted all documents for both my ex- wife and myself. Docs for my ex was to cover from date of marriage to date of divorce.

Docs for ex wife:
Proof of her exercising treaty rigths for the period of the marriage (my ex was a full time student, So letter from university, transcripts, students loan letters, comprehensive medical insurance etc)

Docs for me:
My Passport
Letter from employer confirming my employment
p60 for 5 years
wage slips for 2 years
bank statements last 12 months

Other docs:
Divorce papers (decree nisi)
Utility bills
tenancy agreements
joint bank statements
photos
Emails
council tax

What I did was a made a file and organised them well and supplied them all the above documents. I had clearly written on each dividers what that section contained and the dates it covered. eg tenancy agreements 2004- 2012

To be honest I dont think they even looked at anything except for the divorce papers, my employment papers and my ex-wifes docs to confirm her exercising treaty.

The reason I say this is because those were the only papers that were taken out of their respective plastic wallets and left out when my so called "organised" file was returned. :roll:

Hope this helps. If you want any further clarification please feel free to ask.

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:17 pm

obviously Why they going to look at you work history before divorce
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

Guerro
Member of Standing

Post by Guerro » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:41 pm

I am granted ROR and a letter confirming this right and I am applying for PR this week. My question is: shall I submit all paperwork for 5 years (mine and ex) or just ROR sticker in my passport, letter confirming ROR and my own evidence for the time between ROR was issued till now?

Please help save the environment by cutting the amount of paperwork lol

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:31 pm

The requirements for RoR are different than the ones for PR. You will need to submit the full 5 years (as the RoR only proves treaty rights at the time of the divorce, not the whole period you were married).

Guerro
Member of Standing

Post by Guerro » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:55 pm

oh no, I just read your reply and I have just sent my application :( I assumed they saw marriage and divorce and residence as I was issued RC then ROR so i cut the story short and sent evidence after ROR. so, what will happen now? reject my application or ask me for evidence of the first 4 years (which they saw twice before for RC and ROR)?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:05 am

I don't know what the case worker would do. It is very likely he will reject the application unless he has evidence to cover the full 5 years. When you previously applied did you provide such evidence? Normally for RC you just provide a few payslips and for RoR the same so you don't provide evidence to cover the full period. I suggest you send additional information once you receive CoA (so you have a reference to link it to).

Guerro
Member of Standing

Post by Guerro » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:14 pm

Jambo wrote:I don't know what the case worker would do. It is very likely he will reject the application unless he has evidence to cover the full 5 years. When you previously applied did you provide such evidence? Normally for RC you just provide a few payslips and for RoR the same so you don't provide evidence to cover the full period. I suggest you send additional information once you receive CoA (so you have a reference to link it to).
Thanks jambo for your reply, here is my situation in brief:

Married in 2008, got FP in feb 2009 and came to UK feb 2009, RC issued Oct 2009, divorced July 2012, applied for ROR September 2012 (I included all evidence of me working and living between Feb 2009 to Sept 2012 + ex PR letter and cohabitation together), granted ROR October 2012, applied for PR 2 days ago with passport, photos and evidence of me working and living between October 2012 till now.
That's why I didn't bother much about anything before October 2012 cuz they checked it and issued ROR on that basis. I honestly didn't want to include ex in the issue cuz it is over and UKBA acknowledged in ROR that i am staying on my own.
Do you think they will ask for more evidence, reject it or just approve? is it worth sending all docs or wait and see what they say?

Guerro
Member of Standing

Post by Guerro » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:03 pm

Any ideas please?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:55 pm

What you did before the divorce (2009-2012) is irrelevant for both RoR and PR applications. It's the EEA national activities that counts.

You state that your wife has a PR document. If that is the case, you should be fine I believe as the HO would have that in the system and that would cover your years before the divorce. Again RoR only acknowledge your right to stay in the UK after the divorce but if you want to use the years before the divorce you are dependant on evidence from your ex.