ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English language requirement for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

zeevirgo

English language requirement for naturalisation

Post by zeevirgo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:47 pm

Hi

I have sent my MBA and B com degree got in pakistan and university letter to NARIC and they have confirmed that my MBA is equilevant to Bachelors of UK and also confirmed that degree was taught in english but they cant confirm that it was equal to C1

My question is this NARIC letter is sufficient for english language requirement as in form it is asking

confirmation of degree equal to bachelors and confirmation of mode of teaching which this NARIC letter is confirming.

please explain anyone

thnx

Just Wondering

Re: English language requirement for naturalisation

Post by Just Wondering » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:19 pm

No

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:15 pm

That is acceptable, if you have a statement of comparability and English Language Assessment then that will meet the B1 requirement.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:13 am

Amber_ wrote:That is acceptable, if you have a statement of comparability and English Language Assessment then that will meet the B1 requirement.
Even if the ELA states it cannot confirm it meets the standard?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:15 am

Yes, as it states it was taught in English just not to a C1 level. The SoC confirms it meets a B1 level as akin to a UK bachelors degree.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

zeevirgo

Post by zeevirgo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:10 am

Thanks Amber

Amber_ wrote:Yes, as it states it was taught in English just not to a C1 level. The SoC confirms it meets a B1 level as akin to a UK bachelors degree.
ZIC

prasadduddi
Newly Registered

Post by prasadduddi » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:59 am

Hi,

I have a B.Sc and M.Sc degree from Universities in India both are recognised in the PBS Calculator and given 10 points.

I would like to apply for Biritsh Citizenship in March.

In the UKBA site it is mentioned that it is enough to take a printout of the PBC calculator to show my English Language skills.

But in the Form AN and Guide AN nothing mentioned about PBS Calculator and they only mentioned about NARIC.

Do I need to get Statement of Comparability & ELA from NARIC.

I have hardly a 2-3 weeks to get them so please reply.

Prasad.D

BE HAPPY
Newly Registered

Post by BE HAPPY » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:53 pm

I am due to apply for naturaliation. I have letters from Indian university stating thatBachelors degree has been tought in English. In addition to this I applied for English language Assessment with NARIC. I got a letter from NARIC conforming the english language is C1.

I am confused with different staements about degree comparability and English language assessment by NARIC. My college and degree appears in PBS calculator. My queries are as under:

1. Do I need to apply NARIC for degree comparability in addition to English language assessment?
2. Does NARIC assess the degrees tought in English only for those which are accepetd as comparable to UK?
3. How do I show co-relation between NARIC ELA and degree in India?

Any experience from the successful candidates is highly appreciated.

Regards,

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:48 am

Thanks, Amber!

prasadduddi, your query has already been answered on another thread. http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... ml#p993042

BE HAPPY (I love the name):
1.) You do not need a letter from NARIC for degree comparability if you have an ELA assessment.
2.) Yes - but not Masters/PhDs
3.) The letter is the ELA of the degree you obtained in India so you would submit the ELA letter with your application.

BE HAPPY
Newly Registered

Post by BE HAPPY » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:48 am

Thank you very much for your promt response.

sheedatali

Post by sheedatali » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:52 pm

I have following

1: Life in UK Test
2: Masters Degree taught and researched in UK

Is that enough or do I need NARIC certificate/anything else?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:55 pm

That's enough.

Xmas2012
Newly Registered

Post by Xmas2012 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:43 pm

I have been trying get straight answer on this for a while. Please try to help.

I got Life in UK Test

Master of English from India.

letter from University confirming that Master was taught in English.

Statement of Comparability from UK Naric Confirming Master is Equivalent to master of UK.

As points no. 7 on attached file. I don't get points for my degree on PBS calculator. But got UK NARIC Comparability and letter from university confirming that master was taught in English)

Is this sufficient to meet English requirement?

Please note I don't get points on PBS calculator
and NARIC doesn't provide English assessment for Master degree. But I got letter from university confirming that master was taught in English.

1. Will my qualification meet the requirement?
We cannot advise about individual qualifications. Your qualification should cover speaking and listening at B1 CEFR level or above, and be on the attached list. If you are not sure if your qualification is one of those on the list, you may wish to contact the college where you studied. We will also accept:
 ESOL qualifications taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland that include speaking and listening, at or above Entry level 3, and are regulated by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual), or the Welsh Government or the Council for Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment (CCEA). They must also be listed as an ESOL qualification on the Register of Regulated Qualifications.
 A National Qualification in ESOL at SCQF levels 4 or above, awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA).
2. Do I need to pass all parts of the qualification?
Some of the qualifications which we accept include speaking and listening as part of a wider qualification which also covers reading and writing skills, but other qualifications are available which concentrate on speaking and listening skills only. Those who are unable to demonstrate all 4 communicative skills are advised to study for a qualification that concentrates on speaking and listening skills only. We will not look at scores for each part of the test but the overall score, which must be equivalent to or above level.B1 CEFR
3. What if your website says my qualification expires after 2 years?
The expiry dates on the SELT list in Appendix O, do not apply to citizenship applications.
For Settlement applications, we will accept Level B1 qualification on the SELT list or an ESOL qualification on the OFQUAL register at Entry level 3 that has passed the expiry date, if:
The qualification has previously been accepted by us in connection with another immigration application, e.g. for entry clearance, or (if it is being presented for the first time) that is was taken in the UK, and is on the OFQUAL register.
4. I sent my documents for a previous application. Do I need to send them again?
Yes. Evidence that an English language requirement was met for entry clearance purposes is only held by the post abroad for a limited period. In addition, this information is not easily accessible to caseworkers in the UK. You should therefore send evidence of your qualification with your application.
Degree Qualifications
5. Will my degree meet the requirement?
If you have a qualification that was taught or researched in English you can meet the language part of the requirement if:
- Your qualification is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK, or
- Your qualification was taught or researched in an English speaking country other than Canada (see list below).
You will need to send your certificate as evidence of your qualification.
6. How do I show that my qualification is deemed by UK NARIC to be the recognised standard?
UK NARIC regularly update the online points based calculator (which is on our website) with information about various degrees. If you obtained a degree overseas and were awarded points for your degree, and an additional ten points for English language skill, you can submit evidence from the online points calculator, together with the original degree certificate, to demonstrate that you can satisfy the English language element of the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KOLL) requirement.
Alternatively, you can obtain confirmation from UK NARIC that your qualification was taught or researched in English by requesting an English Language Assessment (ELA). (UK NARIC will only issue an ELA for a degree that is comparable to a UK degree, so it will not be necessary to also request a Statement of Comparability)
7. How do I show that my qualification is equivalent to a UK degree and was taught in English, if it is not recognised by the points calculator?
You can request a Statement of Comparability from UK NARIC and a letter from the university stating that the degree was taught in English

nchouksey1111
Newly Registered

Post by nchouksey1111 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:38 am

Hello,
I would like to apply citizenship for my wife. Not sure about her ESOL certificates are acceptable or not for "English language qualifications". She has following ESOL certificares:

- Cambridge ESOL Entry level certificate in ESOL Skills for Life (Entry 1) - passed in March 2007
- Cambridge ESOL Entry level certificate in ESOL Skills for Life (Speaking and listening) (Entry 2) - passed in June 2007
- CERTIFICATE OF UNIT CREDIT TOWARDS Entry Level Certificate in ESOL skills for list (Entry 3) by City & Guilds - Passed in Sept 2008 --> Speaking and Listening Entry 3
- CERTIFICATE OF UNIT CREDIT TOWARDS Level 1 Certificate in ESOL skills for list by City & Guilds - Passed in Sept 2008 --> Reading and Writing Level 1

She did these course in 2007 - 08, are they still valid if the accept them.

She does have a B.Com degree but in her local language so only way is ESOL. Please reply

Regards,
Naveen