ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Test requirement for Dependent

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

smit.dk
Newly Registered

English Test requirement for Dependent

Post by smit.dk » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:58 pm

Hi Amber,

We are applying for ILR in around 1 month time and need to confirm about new english test criteria for my wife.
Will it suffice to send her Degree (4 years Engineering from India) which state that the degree was taught in english along with PBS calculator print out which does show her University and hence points? Or She need to give english test here?

Please confirm as we are little confused about this.

Thanks in advance,
Din

suchita02
Newly Registered

Re: English Test requirement for Dependent

Post by suchita02 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:54 am

smit.dk wrote:Hi Amber,

We are applying for ILR in around 1 month time and need to confirm about new english test criteria for my wife.
Will it suffice to send her Degree (4 years Engineering from India) which state that the degree was taught in english along with PBS calculator print out which does show her University and hence points? Or She need to give english test here?

Please confirm as we are little confused about this.

Thanks in advance,
Din
you have to deemed your degree by UK NARIC.

get statement of comparatiblity from NARICand letter from college states that medium of instruction was english.

you will find list of doc you have to send to NARIC on UK NARIC website.
as I khnow PBS calculator doesnot work for spouse.

I hope this will help

kmahere
Newly Registered

Post by kmahere » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:28 pm

It should suffice as long as you get 30 points for qualification and 10 points for English for the degree in PBS calculator. Amber and other gurus have confirmed this in few other posts.

smit.dk
Newly Registered

Post by smit.dk » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:58 am

Thanks guys!
@Kmahere- She is getting 30 point s for qualification but i am little confused about the '10 points for english' which you stated. Is it simply by choosing one of the option under English Language section -
In our case-I have a qualification comparable to a UK Bachelor degree that was taught in English ?
If yes, are we suppose to ignore all other fields and just take the printout of these two sections?

Thanks again,
Din

smartkhan
Member of Standing

Post by smartkhan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:14 am

It's better to get letter of comparability from NARIC instead of crying after refusal.

gg1001

Post by gg1001 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:44 pm

hi ,

as per amber and all the post I have seen here......only degree ,transcript along with pbs printout showing the qualification is geeting 10 points for English is sufficient ...just few lines from ukba website clearly links to the same page for main and dependent applicant ...............amber or other gurus pls clarify ...

Evidence of knowledge of Language and Life in the UK required of all settlement and naturalisation applicants
A letter confirming success in the life in the UK Test, stamped and signed by the Test Supervisor; and either
A certificate showing that you have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification; or
If you have a degree taught in English:
A printout from the points-based calculator confirming the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English; or
If your degree is not on the points-based calculator, an original letter and/or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of the qualification, and an original letter from the university or awarding institution on official headed paper confirming your name, the title of the degree, and showing the qualification was taught in English; or
A certificate from the university or awarding institution on official headed paper confirming that the qualification was taught or researched in a majority English speaking country (other than Canada); or
If you are awaiting graduation, or no longer have your certificate and cannot get a new one, you must send either: an original academic reference from the institution awarding the academic qualification, that is on official letter headed paper and shows your name and the title of the award. The letter should also explain when the academic qualification was, or will be awarded; and state either the date (if you have not yet graduated) that the certificate will be issued, or confirms that the institution is unable to re-issue the original certificate of award; or
an original academic transcript that is on official letter-headed paper and shows your name, the name of the academic institution, the course title, and confirmation of the award; or

Your passport showing that you are a national of a majority English speaking country; or
A letter from a medical practitioner to show that you should be exempt on the grounds of poor physical and/or mental health; or
(For naturalisation applicants outside of the United Kingdom) evidence as directed by the office of the Lieutenant-Governor, the office of the Governor, the British Embassy, the British High Commission, or the British Consulate.

smartkhan
Member of Standing

Post by smartkhan » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:25 am

It's always better to get NARIC proof. You never know the state of mind of the case worker. Some people got success without NARIC letter.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/uk-tie ... 58176.html

smit.dk
Newly Registered

Post by smit.dk » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:26 pm

Thanks guys for your valuable feedbacks.
@SmartKhan- I know you are smart but watch your lagnguage before using 'cry' word. :evil:
Amber- Your input please.

Thanks Again!

Zee ali
Diamond Member

Post by Zee ali » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:26 pm

smit.dk wrote:Thanks guys for your valuable feedbacks.
@SmartKhan- I know you are smart but watch your lagnguage before using 'cry' word. :evil:

Thanks Again!
@Smart khan is right
Sort out your documents first before applying.

I read so many stories in this forum that people try to be over smart and want to take short cuts (in this case by passing UK naric). and after refusal crying on this forum for help and advice.
Before applying arrow is in your hands. So be extra careful.

Regards
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

cml614
Newly Registered

Post by cml614 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:42 pm

Hi everyone! Just a quick query. I read in the UKBA website re exemptions on the English language test, which includes IELTS. I have taken an IELTS exam prior to my entry in the UK in 2011. However, it is only valid for 2 years and has expired last year. Can I still use it as evidence for my knowledge of the English language or do I need to take an ESOL course or re-take an IELTS exam?
Would appreciate any insight.

Many regards,
cml614

smartkhan
Member of Standing

Post by smartkhan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:46 am

smit.dk wrote:@SmartKhan- I know you are smart but watch your lagnguage before using 'cry' word. :evil: !
People are helping each other in this forum. If you don't want to listen someone's advice then its up to you. Save your £60 and you can go and apply without NARIC letter.

Good Luck!!!

suchita02
Newly Registered

Post by suchita02 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:50 am

cml614 wrote:Hi everyone! Just a quick query. I read in the UKBA website re exemptions on the English language test, which includes IELTS. I have taken an IELTS exam prior to my entry in the UK in 2011. However, it is only valid for 2 years and has expired last year. Can I still use it as evidence for my knowledge of the English language or do I need to take an ESOL course or re-take an IELTS exam?

Many regards,
cml614
Check link http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -tests.pdf

IELTS score is valid for 2 years only.

So u have to give exam again. It should be equivalent to esol entry level 3 or CEFR B1.
Link will show tests list by Tests list that meets home office requirment.

suchita02
Newly Registered

Post by suchita02 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:53 am

U donot need to take course , u can give trinity college GESE B1 exam.
I gave this exam last week
It's very easy and took only 10 minute.

gg1001

Post by gg1001 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:52 am

hi ,

any moderator pls clarify

as per amber and all the post I have seen here......only degree ,transcript along with pbs printout showing the qualification is geeting 10 points for English is sufficient ...just few lines from ukba website clearly links to the same page for main and dependent applicant ...............amber or other gurus pls clarify ...

lynxukauq
Member of Standing

Post by lynxukauq » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:13 am

smit.dk
Newly Registered

Post by smit.dk » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:37 am

smartkhan wrote:
smit.dk wrote:@SmartKhan- I know you are smart but watch your lagnguage before using 'cry' word. :evil: !
People are helping each other in this forum. If you don't want to listen someone's advice then its up to you. Save your £60 and you can go and apply without NARIC letter.

Good Luck!!!
I know friend that's why I am here but all I am saying is advice can be given by using rather appropriate words else it sounds RUDE.
Anyways no hard feeling.

Cheers
Last edited by smit.dk on Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

smit.dk
Newly Registered

Post by smit.dk » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:41 am

Zee ali wrote:
smit.dk wrote:Thanks guys for your valuable feedbacks.

Thanks Again!
@Smart khan is right
Sort out your documents first before applying.

I read so many stories in this forum that people try to be over smart and want to take short cuts (in this case by passing UK naric). and after refusal crying on this forum for help and advice.
Before applying arrow is in your hands. So be extra careful.

Regards
Hi Zee ali,

So, have you seen any case where someone got refusal by not getting NARIC certificate and showing only PBS calculator points for claiming english test requirement criteria?

Cheers,
Din

smit.dk
Newly Registered

Post by smit.dk » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:49 am

Thanks for sharing this info i think section 6 does clear my doubt.

Cheers

smit.dk
Newly Registered

Post by smit.dk » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:53 am

gg1001 wrote:hi ,

any moderator pls clarify

Hi,

Please check Section -6 on this link which clarifies that you dont have to get NARIC certificate if you get 10 point on PBS calculator.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/102 ... 0sheet.pdf

Cheers

suchita02
Newly Registered

Post by suchita02 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:47 pm

In pbs calculator first you have to select category (tier1 tier2 etc.)
if you are taking printout of PBS for spouse who has dependent visa.
How can u select tier 1 or tier 2 for spouse and go ahead.
Is it right to select false category and get 10 points for degree ?

Check link and tell me is it right to use PBS for every one.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... whocanuse/

March_LR14

Post by March_LR14 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:57 pm

cml614 wrote:Hi everyone! Just a quick query. I read in the UKBA website re exemptions on the English language test, which includes IELTS. I have taken an IELTS exam prior to my entry in the UK in 2011. However, it is only valid for 2 years and has expired last year. Can I still use it as evidence for my knowledge of the English language or do I need to take an ESOL course or re-take an IELTS exam?

Many regards,
cml614
Hi,

Your IELTS certificate will be valid for ILR application as 2 years validity period is only applicable to entry clearance applications. Please see below links for further proof;

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/settlement_ielts

http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... of%20ielts

http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... 51946.html

smit.dk
Newly Registered

Post by smit.dk » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:51 pm

suchita02 wrote:In pbs calculator first you have to select category (tier1 tier2 etc.)
if you are taking printout of PBS for spouse who has dependent visa.
How can u select tier 1 or tier 2 for spouse and go ahead.
Is it right to select false category and get 10 points for degree ?

Check link and tell me is it right to use PBS for every one.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... whocanuse/
Hi Suchita02,

By PBS calculator UKBA are only looking whether dependent can claim 10 points in english section or not, if yes, that means
its been approved by NARIC (as NARIC updates the db). Moreover, dependent only need to submit that one page as evidence so it doesnt matter if they select Tier 1 or Tier 2 to get into the calculator.

Cheers

Jedi001
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by Jedi001 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:19 pm

Read this: http://www.immigrationboards.com/uk-tie ... 58176.html

I have applied on 17th Feb 2014 and provided above documents for the English requirement for my wife. I don't think you need a NARIC till you have Medium of Instruction letter from your university or the certificate says that the degree was taught in English + PBS Calc awarding 10 points for English section.

Hope this clarifies any confusions.

As far as PBS Calc is concerned, I selected Tier1 category for my wife to get to the page where we can add the degree etc etc

Regards
Jedi001