ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

2.1 Residence requirements

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

kvora

2.1 Residence requirements

Post by kvora » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:30 pm

Dear experts/moderators,

I have recently acquired my ILR and was studying the application form for naturalisation. Under section 2 residence requirements, the first question under 2.1 Date and place of first arrival in the UK is causing a bit of an issue for me. Although, quite straight forward to answer, my issue is slightly unique. I came to UK in September 2004 travelling from Dublin to Holyhead in ferry. When we left the ferry at Holyhead there was customs check but unfortunately no officer was present from Immigration to stamp the entry on the passport. So the problem I face is I do not know when was the first time entered the UK as there is no evidence of that on my passport. The same happened to my wife when she travelled to UK via ferry from Dublin.

Is there a way around this? Foolishly I haven't kept records of my travel (ferry tickets) as it didn't occur to me in 2004 that I will be required to produce them for naturalisation. Just to help you answer my query, I came to UK in 2004 on student visa and got my work permit in July 2007. Am I correct in understanding that my first entry in the UK is still back in 2004?

Any help/guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

harry7476

Re: 2.1 Residence requirements

Post by harry7476 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:32 pm

Yes your first entry will still be 2004.

I would wait for another forum member to advise on your travel proof. The other option is that you can call or write to ukba and seek their advice as you still have a lot of time to apply

kvora

Post by kvora » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:13 pm

Hi harry7476,

Many thanks for your reply. Do you have the contact email address for ukba?

Experts/moderators please confirm/advice is there a way around this problem?

Many thanks.

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:58 am

I would just give as much information as you can on the date you entered and explain on page 15 that you entered on XX date on a ferry from Dublin to [port] but there was no immigration official so no stamp in the passport. Also, your student visa will be in your passport and valid from a certain date in 2004.

I wouldn't worry too much about it because you're applying on 5 year residency (or 3 years if you're a spouse of a BC). If you were unsure of the date 5 years ago, it'd be a different kettle of fish.

kvora

Post by kvora » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:18 pm

Hi Just Wondering,

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am trying to get in touch with the ferry company that I used to travel from Dublin to Holyhead to get exact details of my travel.

Experts/moderators - if you can shed some light on the issue I will be grateful.

Thanks.