ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Urgent English Test Question

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

harry7476

Urgent English Test Question

Post by harry7476 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:37 pm

Hi All,

I got ILR in feb 2013 and am due to apply for naturalisation this month. While applying for HSMP I had shown India University certificate showing that my instruction medium was English. I also have a certificate of the life in uk test.

Do I need to give another exam for language? Do I need to resend my University certificate also?

Thanks

Just Wondering

Re: Urgent English Test Question

Post by Just Wondering » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:25 am

The strict requirement is that UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English. Formally this is done via a letter from UK NARIC stating that the degree was taught in English http://ecctis.co.uk/naric/individuals/C ... sment.aspx. However, some people have put their degree through the PBS Calculator again and if it still awards the English language points, print off this as proof that the it satisfies the English language requirement (along with their degree certificate). The latter option has been successfully done by others on the board, but it's at the discretion of the case worker to accept it.

Alternatively, you take an English language test as set out in the Booklet.

See pages 11-16: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... let_an.pdf

Whilst I understand the assumption that UKBA would keep a record of it, from what I understand, some degrees have been taken off of the PBS Calculator wtr to awarding English language points so it's best to provide the evidence that your degree does qualify.

harry7476

Post by harry7476 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:38 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I am a bit puzzled on how the home office can retrospectively change the law for people who came in on HSMP (I came in 2008) and who had presented university paper saying medium of instruction was English. This piece of paper was recognized by the same agencies back then.

Do you know of exceptions made on this point or if someone has officially disputed this rule?

Don't mind following the law but this sounds regressive.

Thanks

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:29 pm

This policy and law isn't regressive. It was put in place because it was felt that there were people that were being granted permanent residency and citizenship who did not have adequate language skills. Poor English language skills makes it difficult for people to integrate into society. The bar is set pretty low.

Regressive would be if UKBA revoked the visas which were issued because it no longer believes the degree was taught in English to the acceptable standard. Instead, they just remove it from the PBS calculator.

You need to satisfy the English language requirement unless you are 65 years or older or have a permanent mental/physical impairment which would prevent you from satisfying the requirement as evidenced by a doctor. As I posted, if you were granted points on the PBS calculator before, and those points are still awarded, print off the screen shot that demonstrates this and certificate, and submit these with your application. It is up to the caseworker to accept this.

If you don't want to gamble on the caseworker's discretion then you need a UK NARIC English Language Assessment or pass a recognized English language exam.

If you feel like challenging this law then I suggest you seek legal advice.

1life
Newly Registered

Post by 1life » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:47 pm

Adding to what 'Just Wondering' pointed out in the last sentence "...some degrees have been taken off of the PBS Calculator wtr to awarding English language points so it's best to provide the evidence that your degree does qualify."...

My wife and I passed out of the same university although in different years. When I successfully applied for ILR in Sep 2013, I submitted the PBS calculator print that showed 10 points for english language recognising that degree and the university.

My wife was on Tier 1 Dep when I applied ILR so she did not apply. Now when her Tier 1 Dep. expires in April, I have scheduled, an in person appointment using the FLR (M) form (Tier 1 dep. to ILR Dep. ).

When I collating proofs today, we realised, the same university is showing 0 points for english in the PBS calculator. Something I didn't see coming! I think, I have 2 options, 1. Chase NARIC or 2. Give the relevant English test.

I'd like to seek your inputs on which option is the best... the visa expires on 8 April 2014. I've scheduled the in person appointment on 11 March. I guess, I have to reschedule it but I'd like to know, particularly, which of the english exams is easier and more importantly sends me the results in 2-3 weeks. (I guess it takes the same time for NARIC respond and there is a good chance that NARIC might say the same what PBS shows,,although it baffles me how they discretely removed the degree/university in 4 months!)

girish2010
Newly Registered

Post by girish2010 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:22 pm

I used Nationality Checking Service provided by local council,

For AN 1.22, the Life in UK Test and UK NARIC letter with degree certificates will do.
Make sure that your other half has the same, if you are making a joint application.

I did ask the person who dealt with me, whether PBS point calculator print will work and she told that is not going to help.

Hope this helps,

harry7476

Post by harry7476 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:05 am

Just to give you guys an update - yes I was a bit pissed (and still am) about the Knoll requirements being changed retrospectively (although I saw some staunch defense of that) there isn't much i can do in the immediate time. Hence I called up NARIC. They asked for my uni transcripts and degree certificate to confirm that it meets the requirements. My problem was that while applying for hsmp i had the certificate but not the transcripts.

Again to save time I just went ahead and gave the PTE academic and submitted the same.

saj19

Post by saj19 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:13 am

I am about to apply for naturalisation and have applied for NARIC certificate. My doubt is does the dependent also require this NARIC certificate about degree taught in English?

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:28 pm

saj19 wrote:I am about to apply for naturalisation and have applied for NARIC certificate. My doubt is does the dependent also require this NARIC certificate about degree taught in English?
All applicants need to satisfy the KOLL requirement.

Also, I dont understand why would it be the discretion of the caseworker when it clearly states the below

A printout from the points-based calculator confirming the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English;

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... ification/

girish2010
Newly Registered

Post by girish2010 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:51 pm

[quote="harry7476"]Just to give you guys an update - yes I was a bit pissed (and still am) about the Knoll requirements being changed retrospectively (although I saw some staunch defense of that) there isn't much i can do in the immediate time. Hence I called up NARIC. They asked for my uni transcripts and degree certificate to confirm that it meets the requirements. My problem was that while applying for hsmp i had the certificate but not the transcripts.

Again to save time I just went ahead and gave the PTE academic and submitted the same.[/quote]

Harry, i did submit my application recently and the only requirement the Council personal asked along with UKNARIC letter is copies of your degree certificate. that will answer all the doubt whether you had done your education in English...

No need to worry so much about it....