ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of Name while applying British Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sysnerul76
Newly Registered

Change of Name while applying British Passport

Post by sysnerul76 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:28 pm

Hi,

My naturalisation application has been approved and I have an appointment for the ceremony booked for the 7th January 2014. I would receive my naturalisation certificate as per the name on my Indian passport

I would like to drop my surname from my legal documents while I apply for the British passport and accordingly use this to apply for my OCI.

My understanding is that I could possibly do change of name using a deedpoll and use that along with my naturalisation certificate while applying for British passport. Post that surrender my Indian passport and apply for an OCI card based on the name in my British Passport.

Could somebody help me if my understanding is correct - can I get OCI card with the changed name .

Hope to get some valuable inputs from the forum

Thanks,
S

VR

You can do a deed pool

Post by VR » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:25 am

Before you apply for your British Passport , get the British Passport in your new name and then surrender your Old Indian Passport, get surrender Certificate and then apply for your OCI with deed poll . There should not be any issues.
cheers
vr

sysnerul76
Newly Registered

Post by sysnerul76 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:45 pm

Thanks for the response.

I checked the details for surrender of indian passport and it mentions that HCI will provide the surrender certificate using the name in the Indian passport - hope that should be ok
and I can use the name in the deed poll to apply for OCI using the name as per the deed poll
Would there be any problem in applying for British passport as per the deed poll when the naturalisation certificate is using a different one

Hope to get some more suggestions

Thanks,
S

forbc123

Post by forbc123 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:24 pm

As far as I know - your UK passport is printed on basis of your naturalisation certificate

If you check the fee leaf let for citizenship - clearly UKBA offers a service to make changes to name as amendments on your naturalisation certificate before you apply for UK Passport

If I were you I've supplied deed poll with FORM AN but because that process is done only thing you can do is submit for change of name using deed poll to UKBA and they will return your BC certificate amended using which you could apply for UK Passport

If name is changed on UK passport when you apply for OCI your OCI form will ask for details (supply same deed poll as VR said)

Surrender certificate will only be issued on basis of Indian passport and I never knew any rule that says name on surrender certificate should match with UK Passport

Remember that OCI is a sticker on UK Passport so details must match between OCI and UK Passport

sysnerul76
Newly Registered

Re: Change of Name while applying British Passport

Post by sysnerul76 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:48 pm

Are you saying that passport control will not issue the passport as per the new name in the deed poll which has both the old name and the new name. The old name being as in the naturalisation certificate and I would have to update the naturalization certificate with the new name.

Secondly am not very clear with the below guidelines from Indian High Commission on change of name. Would they accept the OCI application as per the new name in the deed poll with the surrender certificate as per the old name. Or do I need to get the deed poll signed in front of the Oath Commissioner.

■Change of name/appearance affidavit by Consular Section of High Commission of India, London/UK Notary Public/Oath Commissioner.

Also using the name in the OCI , can I change the details to my PAN card issued earlier when I was a citizen of India.

Cheers
S

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:24 pm

Hi Sysnerul,

My wife is in the exact same situation, can you reveal what are you planning to do to get the passport in your married name?

Please also update the group as and when things happen in your case.

Regards
Challenges make life worth it!

lifofifo

Re:

Post by lifofifo » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:05 pm

forbc123 wrote:As far as I know - your UK passport is printed on basis of your naturalisation certificate
That's misleading. If you submit a deed poll with your passport application, you'll get your passport with the new name.

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:05 am

Hi forum,

Can someone point me to an inexpensive and reliable deed poll service?

Regards

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:01 am

Hi sysnerul,

Any update in your case?

Regards

sysnerul76
Newly Registered

Post by sysnerul76 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:06 pm

Hi,

I called up passport control and explained my situation and below is what I was informed.

applicant can apply for a British passport under a new name provided they submit a deed poll with both the old and new name along with the naturalisation certificate. There is no need to change the details in the naturalisation certificate.

I got my deed poll done by the these guys, the service is fast and reliable. they charge £10 for one copy and 1£ extra for any additional copy you may require.

I can sign in the presence of a friend in the deed poll and that would be accepted by the British passport control office.

However for change of name for OCI, I need to sign in the presence of UK Notary Public/Oath Commissioner/by the Consular section of HCI

I checked few solicitors in my area and they are charging me £5.50 to sign as Commissioner of Oaths and £50 to sign as UK Notary.

As per the HCI , they accept the below for change of name

Change of name/appearance affidavit by Consular Section of High Commission of India, London/UK Notary Public/Oath
Commissioner

Just wondering is it worth the cost to get the deed poll sign as UK Notary or as Oath Commissioner is enough for the OCI card.

Any suggestions/experiences welcomed here

sysnerul76
Newly Registered

Post by sysnerul76 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:07 pm

Here's the link for the deed poll

http://www.thelegaldeedpollservice.org.uk/

sysnerul76
Newly Registered

Post by sysnerul76 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:49 pm

Hi,

Can some one throw some light on whether I should get the deedpoll signed by Oath Commissioner or UK Notary as the cost for UK Notary for change to name is very expensive compared to Oath Commissiner while applying for OCI

Thanks,
s

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:30 pm

Thanks for the link and the information sysnerul, and sorry for not helping on any of your queries, in my defence I know much less than you do on this topic at the moment.

I am actually looking for advice from you. My case is a bit different, my wife's current Indian passport is on her maiden name. We were planning to get her British passport in her married name, using a deed poll. Subsequently the plan was to get an Entry visa to India for all of us, and head back to India, where we immediately apply for OCI cards for all.

Now looking at your case that won't be possible from India at all, due to the name difference in her Indian and British passport? Or is there a way out?

I am just wondering if its best to keep her British passport in her maiden name too. The main reason we were considering moving it to her married name was because we wanted to move all her bank accounts, pension accounts etc in the UK to her married name, and we thought this would help with that. But it sounds like we can anyway achieve that just by using deed polls?

Any suggestions, sysnerul and other senior members?

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:37 pm

Any inputs please sysnerul and other forum members:
I am actually looking for advice from you. My case is a bit different, my wife's current Indian passport is on her maiden name. We were planning to get her British passport in her married name, using a deed poll. Subsequently the plan was to get an Entry visa to India for all of us, and head back to India, where we immediately apply for OCI cards for all.

Now looking at your case that won't be possible from India at all, due to the name difference in her Indian and British passport? Or is there a way out?

I am just wondering if its best to keep her British passport in her maiden name too. The main reason we were considering moving it to her married name was because we wanted to move all her bank accounts, pension accounts etc in the UK to her married name, and we thought this would help with that. But it sounds like we can anyway achieve that just by using deed polls?

Any suggestions, sysnerul and other senior members?

Kkohli
Newly Registered

Post by Kkohli » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:00 pm

Hi,
I myself is in the same situation. I changed my surname after marriage but only got this on papers while applying for british passport. Just had to provide marriage certificate (which was with my old name) and the statement in the application form as to why I have changed my surname. No deed poll was required. Got my british passport and new surname. Then I went to the bank, changed my name and signature as appeared on british passport. All was fine until this oci. Now I checked with the guy where I went to surrender my indian passport regarding the new name process. According to him I will receive the oci card with my new name, but will need to submit the change of name affidavit as mentioned in HCI website. I think it's better to go and get it done through consular services as they are gonna charge £17 and you will know exactly what they talking about.

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:39 pm

So for the passport I have gone for a deed poll for my wife, signed by my manager at work who is a British citizen. I also plan to use legal copies of this deed poll to change her name at work, in the bank etc etc etc.

Thanks kkohli for your inputs.
According to him I will receive the oci card with my new name, but will need to submit the change of name affidavit as mentioned in HCI website. I think it's better to go and get it done through consular services as they are gonna charge £17 and you will know exactly what they talking about.
Do you have a link for the procedure for getting this done. My real problem is I am planning to travel to India on an entry visa and then apply for OCI immediately in India, now I am not quite sure what the FRRO in India will accept for this.

If anyone has any experience with this, or any pointers/links for this, I will be really grateful. I will anyway probably take the above mentioned affidavit to India just in case it helps.

Any inputs folks?

visaforv10

Post by visaforv10 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:06 pm

sysnerul76 wrote:Hi,

Can some one throw some light on whether I should get the deedpoll signed by Oath Commissioner or UK Notary as the cost for UK Notary for change to name is very expensive compared to Oath Commissiner while applying for OCI

Thanks,
s
Hi there,

Sorry to send you private message straightaway. But I am in a similar situation as yours.

I was wondering shall I get deedpoll signed by oath comissioner or UK notary? As you said notary is expensive compared to sign by oath comissioner and was wondering if HCI were ok getting it signed by oath comissioner?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

RKUK
Newly Registered

Post by RKUK » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:49 am

Dear Friends,

Many thanks for all your support , I have received my British Passport today.

Now I have to apply for my wife's Naturalisation and then British Passport and then OCI .
My query is.

1) Her Surname is Indian Passport is her fathers surname
2) I want to change her surname to my surname in future British Passport and OCI

Please advice me which route should I follow

Really confused. Please Help.

Kind regards
RK

vijayballa
Newly Registered

Post by vijayballa » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:36 pm

Hi RKUK,

we are in the similar situation. I've received british passport and my wife is going to apply for naturalisation with name change. we went through 2 options and think this is the easy/safer option to go through is

1) apply for a new indian passport with surname change. supplying the marriage certificate should be enough.
2) then apply naturalisation for with my surname.

only thing I'm not sure yet is "do we need to inform UKBA as we are changing the surname after ILR with BRP card". if this is not an issue, i think this is the easiest option.

@all, please share your experience.

roc_wab
Newly Registered

Post by roc_wab » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:27 pm

Hello,

I wanted to change part of my son's name once we receive the naturalisation certificate. I called up the British passport helpline and they confirmed that we a deed poll along with the naturalisation certificate (with his current name) is sufficient when applying for British passport. And the passport application needs to be counter-signed and that is sufficient.

However:

1. Should I inform Home office regarding name change and subsequently pay extra to get his naturalisation certificate updated? (I called the HO helpline but they did not seem to know).
2. When executing deed poll (online) should I get it notarised? The reason for this notarisation is just for OCI application (Iguess) as British passport application does not need deed poll to be notarised.
3. While applying for OCI, should I go in person to Indian consulate to apply due to change of name (or to get it signed in front of Oath commissioner?)

Kindly help please.

RockON

Post by RockON » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:01 pm

There is no need to change name on registration certificate. HMPO will generally accept deed poll – provided (better check in advance); Make sure name on the registration certificate is same as on the current foreign passport, if he has one (There are few cases reported on this forum regarding problems while applying for British passport - When name on the Naturalisation certificate does not match with current foreign passport).

Notary is an expensive option, and HCI will accept change of name deed poll witnessed by commissioner of oaths (much cheaper option) - ref: VFS website

All the best
roc_wab wrote:Hello,

I wanted to change part of my son's name once we receive the naturalisation certificate. I called up the British passport helpline and they confirmed that we a deed poll along with the naturalisation certificate (with his current name) is sufficient when applying for British passport. And the passport application needs to be counter-signed and that is sufficient.

However:

1. Should I inform Home office regarding name change and subsequently pay extra to get his naturalisation certificate updated? (I called the HO helpline but they did not seem to know).
2. When executing deed poll (online) should I get it notarised? The reason for this notarisation is just for OCI application (Iguess) as British passport application does not need deed poll to be notarised.
3. While applying for OCI, should I go in person to Indian consulate to apply due to change of name (or to get it signed in front of Oath commissioner?)

Kindly help please.

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:15 am

roc_wab wrote: Kindly help please.
I just happened to have scanned the supporting document checklist for a passport application a few days ago. Please go through the checklist.

PassportSuppDocs.png
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

roc_wab
Newly Registered

Post by roc_wab » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:45 am

Thankyou fwd079 and Rockon for your responses. Sorry I was in training yesterday so couldn't thank you earlier. That really helps.

Kindest Regards,
roc_wab

roc_wab
Newly Registered

Post by roc_wab » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:49 am

[quote="RockON"]There is no need to change name on registration certificate. HMPO will generally accept deed poll – provided (better check in advance); Make sure name on the registration certificate is same as on the current foreign passport, if he has one (There are few cases reported on this forum regarding problems while applying for British passport - When name on the Naturalisation certificate does not match with current foreign passport).

Notary is an expensive option, and HCI will accept change of name deed poll witnessed by commissioner of oaths (much cheaper option) - ref: VFS website

All the best

Dear RockON, my son's current passport has exactly the same name as in his Naturalisation application/certificate and I have his legal custody. If I execute a deed poll and just sign(?!) in front of local Oath Commissioner, is that sufficient? (I am not sure "Witnessing" means "signing" the deed poll in front of Oath commissioner? Can you kindly confirm/help please.

RockON

Post by RockON » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:36 pm

Yes, Solicitor needs to sign the deed poll in the Witness section and make sure he/she mentions occupation - Commissioner for oaths and use the Practice stamp. All the best