ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I apply for BC before end of 12 months time restriction?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Wakeuphappy

Can I apply for BC before end of 12 months time restriction?

Post by Wakeuphappy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:23 pm

Can I apply for citizenship within 12 months time restriction? Obtained ILR through 5 year working, been in the UK for 12 years and meet all the other requirements. If so, What's the success rate? How do I justify it? How do I prove I have established links within UK and have compelling business reasons?
Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Can I apply for BC before end of 12 months time restrict

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:35 pm

Unless you are married to a British Citizen, you will have to wait until you are 'free from immigration time restrictions' (ILR), before you can apply for naturalisation. The application is based on the 5 years immediately before the date of application, so it will be 1 year on ILR and 4 years on a visa.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... uirements/
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Wakeuphappy

Post by Wakeuphappy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:53 pm

Thank you, so there is no way at all to bypass this requirement?? I'm not married to a BC. I can't progress within my company because the positions I want to apply require frequent short notice travelling abroad. And it's always a lengthy process for me to get a visa to anywhere. I'm really frustrated.

My partner is BC he would marry me if I ask him, but I don't want the home office to suspect my purpose of marriage and jeopardise my chance all together.

Wakeuphappy

Post by Wakeuphappy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:54 pm

What do I do? :cry:

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:56 pm

You either have to wait 12 months or get married.

For nationality purposes, it is being married to a British Citizen at the time of the application, it does not matter how long you have been married as you have the same rights with ILR as a British Citizen, so there won't be much scrutiny as such.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Wakeuphappy

Post by Wakeuphappy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:26 pm

We weren't planning on getting married yet, so if we were to get married ASAP we probably will just go to a registry office with one witness or get married in Vegas and have a proper big wedding next year - will this look suspicious?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:38 pm

When did you obtain ILR?

You could apply early (save about 3 months) but it would be at discretion and to be honest if you have waited so long, why not wait a few more months.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

Wakeuphappy

Post by Wakeuphappy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:05 pm

Got ILR last year September. I know I should wait, but I have to travel more than ever this year for work. The positions I would like to progress to all require frequent travel abroad, it's a pain in the back side every time I try to get a visa for anywhere. I need to stay at some of the places for weeks at a time and they can only issue me single entry visas, while my colleagues and friends can just go off to hong kong or Dubai for a weekend I will have to be stuck at somewhere I don't know anyone :cry:

I'm just really frustrated, I have already missed an important meeting for my project because meeting date was only scheduled two days before and I couldn't get a visa at such short notice, as you can imagine I'm not mangers' favourite due to the inflexibility.

I have already travelled 50 days since obtaining ILR, can't afford to wait another 7 months ....

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:20 am

Doesn't sound as if this is a compelling business requirement (as the business just send other people not you). In any case, as you have no control on the duration the application would take (maybe applying early with discretion would take longer than applying normally), I would just wait. Or are you willing to risk £900 for the sake of a few months?
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:33 am

You also need to keep an eye on how many days you've been out of the country.

Wakeuphappy

Post by Wakeuphappy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:23 am

Thanks guys,

but can't do anything about the traveling, can't just not go when required :(

what kind of reasons are compelling business reasons?

why do they make it so difficult for good people who always pay tax, never claim benefits, like the culture and genuinely want to live in this country ...

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:48 am

Wakeuphappy

Post by Wakeuphappy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:14 pm

Thanks, I have seen this document, but it doesn't explain what kind of reasons are compelling..

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:23 pm

There isn't a list of what would or wouldn't be compelling or compassionate reasons. However, if you read the document, you'll be able to read between the lines of what may allow discretion to be exercised.

For example, 4.1.2(d) states: exceptionally compelling reasons of an occupational or
compassionate nature to justify naturalisation now, including, for
example, because the applicant has a firm offer of a job for which
British citizenship is a statutory or professional requirement.

You can apply and put forward the reasons you believe discretion should be exercised. The case officer might exercise discretion in your favour but they also may choose not to exercise discretion. Unfortunately with discretion based applications, there is no guarantee on the outcome.

The worst outcome is you lose the application fee and are asked to re-apply when you meet the criteria. The best outcome is that you are naturalized earlier.

Wakeuphappy

Post by Wakeuphappy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:04 am

All right, thank you so much for the help, I think I will just have to wait :|