ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English language requirement

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

vin1983

English language requirement

Post by vin1983 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:04 pm

Hi

I am due for ILR in june 2014. I came on a tier 2 ICT in june 2009, changed to tier 1 general in jan 2010 and renewed again in sep 2012. In my first tier 1 general application I had proved my masters degree equivalent to UK masters using NARIC certificate and bachelors degree for english requirement.

Now is the above still valid or do I need to get another NARIC certificate for meeting new english language requirements?

Thanks
Vin

yasa
Diamond Member

Re: English language requirement

Post by yasa » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:47 am

vin1983 wrote:Hi

I am due for ILR in june 2014. I came on a tier 2 ICT in june 2009, changed to tier 1 general in jan 2010 and renewed again in sep 2012. In my first tier 1 general application I had proved my masters degree equivalent to UK masters using NARIC certificate and bachelors degree for english requirement.

Now is the above still valid or do I need to get another NARIC certificate for meeting new english language requirements?

If your degree is in points base calculator and giving you points and you have the letter from University stating that the degree was taught in English then it should suffice

Thanks

Vin
=======================
Every cloud has silver lining
=======================

vin1983

Post by vin1983 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:07 pm

Hi - yes my degree is in PBS calculator and is giving 10 points for english language. Do I still need to get a letter from university? Thanks

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:24 pm

vin1983 wrote:Hi - yes my degree is in PBS calculator and is giving 10 points for english language. Do I still need to get a letter from university? Thanks
It only gives 10 points if the medium of instruction is in English. You do need a letter from your university
=======================
=======================

vin1983

Post by vin1983 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:29 pm

Hi - thanks for the confirmation, I saw this note in UKBA website which says if its available on UKBA website PBS then I can submit it along with the original degree.

Link is http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... nstrating/

UK NARIC regularly update the online points based calculator with information about various degrees. If you obtained a degree overseas and were awarded ten points for English language skill, you can submit evidence from the online points calculator, together with your original degree certificate, to demonstrate that you can satisfy the English language element of the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KOLL) requirement.

Thanks again

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:17 am

vin1983 wrote:Hi - thanks for the confirmation, I saw this note in UKBA website which says if its available on UKBA website PBS then I can submit it along with the original degree.

Link is http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... nstrating/

UK NARIC regularly update the online points based calculator with information about various degrees. If you obtained a degree overseas and were awarded ten points for English language skill, you can submit evidence from the online points calculator, together with your original degree certificate, to demonstrate that you can satisfy the English language element of the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KOLL) requirement.

Thanks again
Degrees taught in English

If you have a qualification that was taught or researched in English you can meet the English language part of the Knowledge of Language (How can you prove that your degree was taught in English) and Life requirement and will not need to show a formal speaking and listening qualification. You can meet this part of the requirement if your qualification:
is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in the UK, or
was taught or researched in an English speaking country other than Canada.

You will need to send your certificate as evidence of your qualification.

You will still need to pass the Life in the UK test to demonstrate your knowledge of life in the UK.

=======================
=======================

vin1983

Post by vin1983 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:34 pm

Hi Yasa - sorry to persist on this, but in your post itself it says

You can meet this part of the requirement if your qualification:
is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in the UK, or
was taught or researched in an English speaking country other than Canada.

As my degree is deemed to meet UK bachelor's degree in UK this should suffice right? I completely understand having more documents removes uncertainty but getting a letter from university in India is a bigger pain especially if its not a mandatory requirement. So if its a good to have rather than must have thats what I was looking for. If its must have then I will start contacting the university. Thanks again for your help

vin1983

Post by vin1983 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:58 pm

Hi all

To avoid any confusion, I have now got a letter from my institute confirming medium of instruction and examination was english. So I will now attach this letter with NARIC letter that my degree is equivalent to UK masters. Hope this suffices.

Thanks