ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR - English language requirement - overseas degree

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

vignezh

ILR - English language requirement - overseas degree

Post by vignezh » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:43 am

I have a Master's degree from India, which I got validated by UK Naric as comparable to UK M.Sc. and I also passed an IELTS test for my intial Tier 1 application. I did NOT submit any letter from University saying the degree was taught in English.

For the ILR, could someone please clarify whether I can produce my Indian Masters degree certificate along with NARIC letter WITHOUT producing a letter from University saying degree was taught in English (I think it wont be possible to get a letter from Univeristy in India within a month while I am in the UK). I can see the points calculator awarding me points for ENGLISH based on this degree.

or

Should I pass an ENGLISH test? Which one is easier to do?

Many thanks in advance...

yasa
Diamond Member

Re: ILR - English language requirement - overseas degree

Post by yasa » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:32 pm

vignezh wrote:I have a Master's degree from India, which I got validated by UK Naric as comparable to UK M.Sc. and I also passed an IELTS test for my intial Tier 1 application. I did NOT submit any letter from University saying the degree was taught in English.

For the ILR, could someone please clarify whether I can produce my Indian Masters degree certificate along with NARIC letter WITHOUT producing a letter from University saying degree was taught in English (I think it wont be possible to get a letter from Univeristy in India within a month while I am in the UK). I can see the points calculator awarding me points for ENGLISH based on this degree.

or

In points based calculator when you click on I have a qualification comparable to a UK Bachelor degree that was taught in English. How will you prove that the degree was taught in English. UK Naric will not do the English language assessment. If you cant get the letter then book the CEFR B1 level test.
=======================
Every cloud has silver lining
=======================

Tier1immigrant

Post by Tier1immigrant » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:16 pm

If you have pass IELTS once, you can use the same don't need to do another English test for ILR,

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:20 am

yasa wrote:
vignezh wrote:I have a Master's degree from India, which I got validated by UK Naric as comparable to UK M.Sc. and I also passed an IELTS test for my intial Tier 1 application. I did NOT submit any letter from University saying the degree was taught in English.

or

In points based calculator when you click on I have a qualification comparable to a UK Bachelor degree that was taught in English. How will you prove that the degree was taught in English. UK Naric will not do the English language assessment. If you cant get the letter then book the CEFR B1 level test. If you have used your IELTS in your previous Tier 1 application then it should suffice
=======================
=======================

gg1001

Post by gg1001 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:32 pm

hi

Sorry but don't agree with you on English reqirement as per my understanding and the moderators comments I have seen the pbs calculator will only award 10points for English if naric believe that the degree was taught in English otherwise I will just give u 30points for education but no points for English...........I have got so many friends who got masters degree and the calculator is giving 30points for qualification but giving 0 points for English mostly Pakistan university degrees............

so I strongly understand if u got 10points for English in calculator with original degree its more than sufficient.....

I have so many ppl here getting ilr just by attaching pbs printout with original degree and haven't seen anybody rejected because he hasn't got the letter from the university that the degree was taught in English.

correct me if I am wrong

thnks

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:56 pm

gg1001 wrote:hi

Sorry but don't agree with you on English reqirement as per my understanding and the moderators comments I have seen the pbs calculator will only award 10points for English if naric believe that the degree was taught in English otherwise I will just give u 30points for education but no points for English...........I have got so many friends who got masters degree and the calculator is giving 30points for qualification but giving 0 points for English mostly Pakistan university degrees............

so I strongly understand if u got 10points for English in calculator with original degree its more than sufficient.....

I have so many ppl here getting ilr just by attaching pbs printout with original degree and haven't seen anybody rejected because he hasn't got the letter from the university that the degree was taught in English.

correct me if I am wrong

thnks

English Language Assessment. Extract from UKNaric:

There are three ways that you can score points for English language:
•be a national of a majority English speaking country (a country where most people speak English)
•pass an English language test on the Home Office list of approved English language tests
hold a degree that is assessed by UK NARIC as being taught solely in English and is equivalent to a United Kingdom Bachelor degree.

How can we help you?

UK NARIC’s English Language Assessment provides an assessment and a statement:
•to confirm whether an individual’s approved English language test meets the required level of English language proficiency (CEFR level C1)
to confirm whether your degree has been taught solely in English and meets the required level of English language proficiency (CEFR level C1).

English language assessment and statement of comparability are two different services.

Many Thanks

=======================
=======================

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:05 pm

gg1001 wrote:hi

correct me if I am wrong

thnks

Official reply from Home office

Dear Sir,

Regardless of the fact that the degree was awarded 35 points by the points calculator, unless it has been awarded an additional 10 points for English language, , the print out would not be acceptable as evidence that the degree was taught in English. The applicant could request an English Language Assessment from UK NARIC, or provide a letter from the university, on official letter headed paper, stating that the medium of study was English.

Unless an IELTS qualification has been accepted for an earlier application, it would be invalid for the purposes of a settlement application.

Regards

Ann

Ann Woodall | Nationality Operational Policy| Operational Policy & Rules Unit|Immigration and Border Policy Directorate | Home Office

Blue Zone, 5th Floor, The Capital | Liverpool | L39PP

This is the email about my dependent who got degree in English literature equivalent to UK Masters degree
you can personally email on KnowledgeOfLifePolicyQueries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

=======================
=======================

Tier1immigrant

Post by Tier1immigrant » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:51 pm

yasa wrote:
yasa wrote:

or

In points based calculator when you click on I have a qualification comparable to a UK Bachelor degree that was taught in English. How will you prove that the degree was taught in English. UK Naric will not do the English language assessment. If you cant get the letter then book the CEFR B1 level test. If you have used your IELTS in your previous Tier 1 application then it should suffice

Doesn't matter whether previously submitted or not. expired IELTS is acceptable for settlement and citizenship applications.

gg1001

Post by gg1001 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:09 am

hi Yasa,

Sorry may be I am missing something but even the reply received from HO which you have mentioned ......

"Regardless of the fact that the degree was awarded 35 points by the points calculator, unless it has been awarded an additional 10 points for English language, , the print out would not be acceptable as evidence that the degree was taught in English. The applicant could request an English Language Assessment from UK NARIC, or provide a letter from the university, on official letter headed paper, stating that the medium of study was English."

It clearly states that if u get 10 points on the calculator that its fine and "if only u get the 35 points for qualification only and not 10 points for English" then the applicant could request an English Language Assessment from UK NARIC, or provide a letter from the university, on official letter headed paper, stating that the medium of study was English

That's what I am trying to prove that if u have 10points of English that only the printout will suffice

what about another reply from HO "https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... 20V2.0.pdf" which clearly states
"NARIC regularly update the online points based calculator (which is on our website) with information about various degrees. If you obtained a degree overseas and were awarded ten points for English language skill, you can submit evidence from the online points calculator, together with the original degree certificate, to demonstrate that you can satisfy the English language element of the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KOLL) requirement."
& another case of success where the applicant just used the undergraduate degree which was on pbs calculator without any letters from university

"http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... 57203.html"

and if u wana be on safe side then there is no end to the no of docs u can put with the application.

thnks hope this clarifies

jimmybhathena
Newly Registered

Post by jimmybhathena » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:59 pm

HI All

I will give my current situation update about this English Language Requirement and the Citizenship application which is currently under process.

My Wife has completed a B.A. (Bachelor) Degree from Indian university which is also giving 10 points in the PBS calculator and is considered equivalent to a UK Bachelor Degree. We made our Citizenship application on these grounds submitting the original degree certificate, marksheets and the original transcripts too which clearly state that the "Medium of Instruction for the Degree is in English".

Before making my application I had sent an email to the Home Office and they replied that PBS calculator may be sufficient but it will depend upon the case worker and PBS does not guarantee anything and a letter from NARIC is the best option.

However, reading others stories, we went ahead with our application and did not hear anything for over 3 months and then suddenly my wife got a letter stating that we need to confirm with NARIC that this degree is equivalent to a UK degree and that meets the english language requirement. However, we were only given about 20 days to get this letter, which in itself is a challenge because NARIC clearly states that it will take 15 days (only for service and does not include postage times) for doing the English Language Assessment. However, this English Language assessment service does not tell you if the degree is considered equivalent to UK degree level and there is a separate service for the degree comparison called the "Comparison Service".

So we said lets not wait for long as we have already spent so much money just get it done in fast track service. Thats when I further realised how big a money making scam this is. My degree transcript which is an official document from the Indian University and has a NAAC stamp and clearly states that the language of instruction in the degree is English and the PBS calculator should have been enough, but not sure why. So they give you so less time that there is no option but to go ahead with the service because if you cant send the letter within the timeframe, then your application will be rejected.

Well I had to cough up £250 pounds for the two services, where only the comparison service is available in Fast Track, not the English Language assessment. So what we have done is sent the "Degree Comparison" letter which arrived in 2 or 3 days to the Home Office with a letter explaining that our Official Transcript clearly states it is taught in English but we are still getting the NARIC english language assessment done and request to not cancel our application. So I had to send all the original degree documents again in recorded delivery and with another recorded delivery which is another 15 quid, but moreover all originals are at risk due to a possible loss in transit.

Now we are awaiting the English Language Assessment letter to arrive which we will send immediately to the home office and hope for the best.

So in my opinion, do not try to save the money for the test as that is an easier option. The test requirement is only English listening and speaking skills equivalent of B1 CEFR level so no writing or anything difficult.

This is my personal experience and hope it helps others.