ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

transfer of EEA Residence card -expired passport to new one

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2

takdeerwala
India

transfer of EEA Residence card -expired passport to new one

Post by takdeerwala » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:06 am

I have a question regarding transfer of EEA2 Residence card from old passport to new passport. I am a citizen of India and my wife is from poland. I am living in the UK for last 3 years and I have a Residence card which will expire in 2017 but my Indian passport has expired--so I got new Indian passport.

1) Is it okay to travel outside UK with two passports-one expired with Residence Card and other one will be empty new passport ?

2) UKBA has recently changed their website. In new form and website, it is not mentioned at all that Residence card can be transferred from old passport to new passport. In older version, it was mentioned somewhere. So will it be new form and I need a cover letter to inform them that I need to transfer Residence Card ?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: transfer of EEA Residence card -expired passport to new

Post by Jambo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:48 am

1. Yes. No problem travelling with both passports. The RC doesn't become invalid when the passport expires.

2. There is no process of transferring the RC. You basically need to make a new application (and provide update evidence of treaty rights, £55, and wait up to to 6 months). No much point of doing so.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:35 am

basically you looking 2 wait upto 6 months again. just forget it
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

takdeerwala
India

Post by takdeerwala » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:04 pm

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I have one more question. My old passport is clipped from one side while it got cancelled by Indian embassy while cancelling it. My Residence card is fine inside. I dont know why they clipped it from one side.
My only fear is that while taking flight back from India to UK, the airline clerks are not so sure about the rules. I will show them Residence Card in an old cancelled clipped passport and my new valid passport. Is there anywhere written on official UK visa and Immigration website that one can travel by both Old and new passport so that I can show it to them the printout and save myself from harassment and questioning. People out EU - say airport staff in Asian countries are not that aware of rules.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:24 pm

It is common to clip the corner to indicate the passport is invalid. You will not be the first one holding a visa in an old passport (this is true to all UK visas and also to other countries in the world). You will be fine.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:40 pm

Transferring visa/rc to new passport is not mandatory. You need the source so read at below:

www.gov.uk/transfer-visa
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:30 pm

i have two passport . one expired but resident card there and new one fresh nothing in there

never had issue is asia, europe
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

takdeerwala
India

Post by takdeerwala » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:33 pm

@askmeplz82 So did you travel outside EU on International Flight carrying two passport (Old and New)??

Ikonkar
India

Post by Ikonkar » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:06 pm

I have - many times...
I'm an indian national , I always carry both the passports never ever had any problems in India/France/Germany/Austria/Canada etc.

Don't worry you'll be fine.
GOD BLESS
Ikonkar

UKBA HUNTER
BANNED

Post by UKBA HUNTER » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:38 pm

Its the repetition of same fact again and again in different words. The more we repeat the more you will be puzzled. Have a safe journey. Let us know when come back about your experience.
"Words build bridges into unexplored regions" Adolf Hitler

takdeerwala
India

Post by takdeerwala » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:06 am

I recently travelled from UK to India. My route was Manchester - Frankfurt - Delhi and back. I travelled with two passports- One new and one old with valid Residence Card. I had no problem with anyone- UKBA, Lufthansa staff, Airport staff were all very cooperative and there is no issue with having two passports. I would like to sincerely thank the moderators and members of this forum for giving me correct advice and helped me in saving time, money and hassles involved in applying again for Residence Card. Best advice-just carry your old and new passports.