ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do any of us EU citizens have any rights?

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ouflak1

Do any of us EU citizens have any rights?

Post by ouflak1 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:14 pm

I do wish to have my EU citizenship stripped through no fault of my own. Is their any way I can retain this citizenship? It has been hard won. It seems unfair that it can be taken away so casually.

Casa

Re: Do any of us EU citizens have any rights?

Post by Casa » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:20 pm

What EU citizenship are you referring to?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:33 pm

Casa wrote:What EU citizenship are you referring to?
This one.

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:37 pm

You can't be stripped of your citizenship. Brexit may result in your right to reside/work in the UK if you don't hold PR.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:41 pm

Casa wrote:You can't be stripped of your citizenship. Brexit may result in your right to reside/work in the UK if you don't hold PR.
I am a British citizen, and thus also an EU citizen.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:12 pm

Your EU citizenship derives from your British citizenship. There is no EU citizenship independent of citizenship of a Member-State.

If you wish your EU citizenship to persist past the conclusion of the Brexit negotiations (presumably October 2018), you will need to acquire a non-British EU citizenship (under current rules).

You could petition the EU authorities to make provision for British citizens to retain EU citizenship in the Brexit negotiations.

I believe there has been a surge in enquiries about acquiring Irish nationality.
ouflak1 wrote:It has been hard won.
Can you define what you mean by EU citizenship being hard-won? It was a provision of the Maastricht Treaty in 1992. I do not recall furious demands or struggles and demonstrations for it.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:26 pm

secret.simon wrote:Your EU citizenship derives from your British citizenship.

You could petition the EU authorities to make provision for British citizens to retain EU citizenship in the Brexit negotiations.
I do not wish to petition the EU authorities for any special provisions. I should not have to do such a thing. I have lived in three different EU countries, always legally. I have never committed any crimes against humanity, been involved with terrorism, I've never even been cautioned, arrested or had any other trouble with the law in any way in any country. I do not believe it is fair or right that I be stripped of my EU citizenship through no action or fault of my own.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:35 am

Grant of citizenship is a decision for the political body concerned.

The EU, in its wisdom, has decided that citizenship of a member-state is a pre-requisite for EU citizenship.

The only body who can do anything about the decision is the EU itself.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:07 pm

ouflak1 wrote:
secret.simon wrote:Your EU citizenship derives from your British citizenship.

I do not believe it is fair or right that I be stripped of my EU citizenship through no action or fault of my own.
It's not in your hands.
Its the will of 52% of the UK electorate that you and I and everyone else is stripped of their Union citizenship.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:20 pm

noajthan wrote:Its the will of 52% of the UK electorate that you and I and everyone else is stripped of their Union citizenship.
It is the will of a majority of the UK electorate for an action to take place that will cause the link between British and Union citizenship to be broken.

The EU can make a grant of its citizenship, independent of UK citizenship. I would say it is in their hands to progress this.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:12 pm

It is outrageous to say that EU can allow what you are suggesting. There is not legal basis of this.

If your nation is not a memberstate, then you are not an EU citizen and therefore not entitled to Union Citizenship.

If Scotland becomes independent and is admitted to the EU, there may be a possibility for some British Citizen to maintain EU Citizenship.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:26 pm

There is no current legal basis for that.

But the EU can rewrite its own rules and it can allow people to acquire Union citizenship in a way other than through a Member-State, if it is so minded.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:42 pm

secret.simon wrote:There is no current legal basis for that.

But the EU can rewrite its own rules and it can allow people to acquire Union citizenship in a way other than through a Member-State, if it is so minded.
That is not going to happen unfortunately.

I hope you did not hear that from Farage, Hannan or Johnson. They have been saying a lot these day. I have lost count.

Farage in under 24hrs said their will not be any 350million to the NHS.

Johnson and Hannan said there will be no reduction to Free Movement of People.

These people are dangerous, they look at the British People in the eye and lie to them. When they get what they wanted, the looked at them again and said you ain't getting what you voted for.

If vote leave was anything that resembles normality, those people will be out of work now.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors