ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU offers post-Brexit rights to Britons in Europe - document

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Fri May 26, 2017 4:03 pm

http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKKBN18L2TI

Fri May 26, 2017 | 2:07 AM BST

By Jan Strupczewski and Alastair Macdonald | BRUSSELS
The European Union will offer to protect the welfare and residence rights of Britons living on the continent after Brexit when it opens talks with London next month, according to a document seen by Reuters on Thursday.
"The Withdrawal Agreement should protect the rights of EU27 citizens, UK nationals and their family members who, at the date of entry into force of the Withdrawal Agreement, have enjoyed rights relating to free movement under Union law," EU officials wrote in a draft paper on the starting goals for negotiators.
Previous EU negotiating positions have stressed Brussels' aim of protecting the rights of 3 million citizens of the other 27 current member states now living in Britain once it quits the bloc in March 2019, though they have said this should be reciprocated by the EU for over a million British expatriates.
The paper, to be discussed by diplomats next week, goes into more detail not only about the wide extent of the rights the Union wants to protect for EU citizens in Britain but specifies more on what Brexit may mean for Britons -- notably large numbers of British retirees reliant on EU pension and health insurance rules to support new lives under the Spanish sun.
READ MORE: Not a little list - EU draws up Brexit bill
British Prime Minister Theresa May, who is expected to be re-elected in a vote she has called for June 8, has called on the EU to issue a sweeping, reciprocal guarantee of expatriate citizens' continuing rights after Brexit. But EU leaders insist these must be negotiated in detail for them to have any legal value as reassurance for those people affected.

Adding further nuance and detail to earlier EU negotiating positions, the paper spells out that residence and other rights should be protected for Europeans who move to Britain -- or vice versa -- right up until the day of Brexit, as well as for their families and including rights they will acquire only later.

CHILD BENEFITS
For example, people taking up residence abroad in March 2019 would be guaranteed leave to remain until they had acquired legal residence for life after five years, in March 2024. People who moved as students before Brexit, would be entitled to take up full-time work afterward, as if Britain were still in the EU.
The children of EU workers in Britain would go on receiving family allowances even if they themselves did not live in Britain, the paper said -- underlining how a concession secured by May's predecessor David Cameron to help persuade Britons to vote against Brexit lapsed when he lost last June's referendum.

Other elements of the EU position which may irritate May's government include an insistence that the EU executive retain the power to monitor how Britain is applying the Brexit treaty to EU citizens and that the Union's judges in Luxembourg remain the final arbiters. Brexit campaigners say a key goal is leaving the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice.
The paper will accompany another prepared on Britain paying outstanding sums into the EU budget to be discussed by officials from the other 27 member states next week. These two issues are among the most important that EU Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier has identified in reaching a divorce treaty.
He expects to start negotiations in the week of June 19 and hopes that a treaty can be ready by October 2018. May and other British ministers have warned they are ready to walk out in 2019 without a deal to regulate outstanding issues, however.

(Writing by Alastair Macdonald; Editing by Hugh Lawson)

secret.simon

Re: EU offers post-Brexit rights to Britons in Europe - docu

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:35 am

The Times (paywall) - Europeans living in Britain ‘could have super-rights’
Under the terms set out in the negotiating text, the EU courts would have primacy over British judges and MPs to uphold lifelong rights for European nationals and their children. Included in these are the right to bring non-European family members into the UK, the export of welfare or pension benefits to relatives outside Britain and full access to public services and employment on the same terms as Britons.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:12 pm

Yea, the reason I posted the original article, is that if that's what's being offered, then obviously it would have to be reciprocal for EU Citizens and non EU family members in the UK, such as me and my wife.

mkhan2525

Post by mkhan2525 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:06 pm

British Prime Minister Theresa May, who is expected to be re-elected in a vote she has called for June 8, has called on the EU to issue a sweeping, reciprocal guarantee of expatriate citizens' continuing rights after Brexit. But EU leaders insist these must be negotiated in detail for them to have any legal value as reassurance for those people affected.
The question is will she be re-elected?

She has ran a poor election campaign, has been hiding from the public and polls are currently pointing at a hung parliament.

The results of this election will be definately be interesting on 9th June.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:24 pm

mkhan2525 wrote:The results of this election will be definately be interesting on 9th June.
Undeniably. I'm going to be up all night.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

mkhan2525

Post by mkhan2525 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:56 pm

secret.simon wrote:
mkhan2525 wrote:The results of this election will be definately be interesting on 9th June.
So you will be hoping to see Mrs May elected?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:56 pm

mkhan2525 wrote:
secret.simon wrote:
So you will be hoping to see Mrs May elected?
She's bound to be elected, too many working class people in this country have delusions of grandeur, think they are Tory and will vote for them because of that.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....