ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU plans to foot £230m bill for EU citizens’ residency rights

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

secret.simon

EU plans to foot £230m bill for EU citizens’ residency rights

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:38 am

EU plans to foot £230m bill for EU citizens’ residency rights - The Times (behind paywall).
Brussels will pay the costs of “settled status” residency applications for more than three million EU nationals in Britain after Brexit, in a plan said to be backed by Jean-Claude Juncker.

The European Commission president will agree to pay Home Office bills of up to £230 million for EU citizens to secure their permanent residency rights in Britain, a source in Brussels said.
If agreed upon, British taxpayers would contribute some £30 million via payments that will continue to the EU budget until the end of 2020.
It seems that the proposal only covers the EU citizens resident in the UK who do not already have a DCPR or other documentary evidence, for whom "settled status" documentation would be free-of-cost anyway. Currently, the plan also does not cover EEA family members.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Obie
Ireland

Re: EU plans to foot £230m bill for EU citizens’ residency rights

Post by Obie » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:42 pm

One of the most unique thing about the EU is that it looks after its citizens.

Therefore the steps they have taken does not surprises me.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors