ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Government white paper setting out the proposed new immigration rules, ending freedom of movement for EU citizens

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rooibos
Member of Standing

Government white paper setting out the proposed new immigration rules, ending freedom of movement for EU citizens

Post by rooibos » Sun May 13, 2018 8:07 pm

https://www.politico.eu/article/theresa ... tion-plan/
The U.K. government has brought forward plans to publish its post-Brexit immigration policy after Theresa May intervened to speed up the process, according to senior British officials.

A government white paper setting out the proposed new immigration rules, ending freedom of movement for EU citizens in the U.K., has now been pencilled in for publication before parliament breaks up for its summer break in July, although this could still slip, two senior officials said.

Under former Home Secretary Amber Rudd, the Home Office had repeatedly delayed publication of the new immigration proposals, sparking alarm among Brexiteer ministers who wanted the government to step up planning for a “no deal” scenario in negotiations with Brussels.

The publication of the plans will be a “massive moment” for the government, according to one of the officials, speaking on condition of anonymity. The proposals could emerge at a highly sensitive moment in the Brexit negotiations, just months before the October deadline for the final exit package to be agreed.

The issue is contentious and for millions of people personal. Whatever the course the government embraces will surely alienate one or more key constituencies.
[...]

A path favored by many Brexiteers is to treat EU citizens no differently than any other nationals, granting access to the U.K. under a single international visa regime.

Any perceived crackdown on EU citizens’ rights to move to Britain for work could undermine any goodwill built up between the two sides in the last year of talks on a divorce settlement.

[..]

A second official confirmed the prime minister had made clear to Rudd’s successor as Home Secretary, Sajid Javid, that one of his priorities should be to get the new system in place. “The prime minister wants to see this brought forward,” the official said.

A spokesperson for the Home Office said: “There has been an agreement to bring forward a white paper and that is what we intend to do.”

One EU 27 diplomat said that while officials in Brussels had accepted freedom of movement would no longer apply in the U.K., the new system would still have an impact on talks between London and Brussels.

Methinks Sajid Javid, with no family and emotional ties to Europe, will not have a compassionate attitude for EU citizens. Watch this space!

secret.simon

Re: Government white paper setting out the proposed new immigration rules, ending freedom of movement for EU citizens

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:52 pm

FT (paywall) - Sajid Javid argues against EU citizens having special rights (post-transition period).

He also made it clear that he would regard EU citizens as having no automatic qualification to better rights to visit, live and work in the UK than people from other countries around the world.“We still want to be open to talent from across the world that can help us in some parts of our economy,” said Mr Javid. “There’s no magical reason it should be only from the EU and I think being a global Britain means that should be from across the world.”Mr Javid’s comments were focused on EU citizens wanting to come to the UK after the Brexit transition period ends in December 2020.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Obie
Ireland

Re: Government white paper setting out the proposed new immigration rules, ending freedom of movement for EU citizens

Post by Obie » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:01 pm

With the instability, fundamentalism and extremism in this Tories government, it is unclear whether any of these proposal will ever be implemented.

UK is in a state of chaos, i have never seen things this bad.

You have some very self-centered individuals looking after their personal ambitions than the good of their nation.

UK is fighting extremism in their own home and they are seeking to fight it abroad. These Tories chap are really dangerous.

EU national must consider leaving this sinking ship.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:26 pm

I am not surprised by Sajid Javid's comments. One third of BAME voters voted for Brexit/Leave (I apologise, but I cannot find the link for this piece of information. I read it a few nights ago). If you privilege (or are required to privilege) one set of migrants over others (including other British citizens), it is no surprise that those not so privileged will attempt to have that privilege removed by exercising their power through the ballot box.

One third of BAME voters voted for the Conservatives in the 2017 General Election. As some migrants become affluent, it is a natural tendency to gravitate towards the Conservative Party.

Sajid Javid is, at least partially, echoing the views of some migrants.
Obie wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:01 pm
EU national must consider leaving this sinking ship.
Obie, you don't need to do the government and Brexiteers' job for them.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:49 pm

Sajid Javid does not represent minority brits. He does not see himself as one, he has abandoned his religious believe and link to his culture just to fit in to the Tories. He was sent to India to tell them that once they finished studies they must go home, and not stay in the UK and change their visa category. Minority should take anything he says with a pinch of salt, he will throw them under the bus at the first opportunity. Just like our former disgrace of a foreign secretary, these people only care about their career. We see Javid and Hunt,converting to Brexiteer after the election. They are just opportunistic politician.

I believe minority voters are able to relate more to the London Mayor (Khan) than they are to (Javid).

With the utmost of respect, i think you are wrong to say a third of BAME voters voted the Tories. That may be true for 2015 Election, when Cameron was a more moderate figure. It certainly was not true for 2017, less than 1 in 5 BAME voters voted for those extremist in 2017 and i do not blame them.

Speaking for myself personally, i do not think the Tories represent my values.

Again I disagree with you on the type of voters that votes Tories. They are such a toxic party, that they only attract working class and less educated voters. In the last general election, the middle class abandoned them, Tories were able to make inroads in the midlands as a result of the working class voters.

Even though the Tories won in the category of both educated and uneducated. The winning gap was greater with the non-educated group than the educated group.

You are likely to vote Tories if you are a person without a GCSE, than you are if you had one. That is obvious, as they begin to fan the flame of extremism, nativism and xenophobia,the demographic will be obvious, just like the situation in America.

People with Degree are more likely to vote Labour and Lib dem.

The link you provided is accurate for 2015, but it did not reflect Election 2017 and i would have been surprised if it did.

It will be strange if BAME would vote for the Tories in 2017, when people of colour were told to go home, British citizens were deported and put in detention.

I will provide few statistic that may assist.

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/ ... 7-election

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/06/13/ho ... -election/
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors