ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non-domiciled and Brexit

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Cirruz
Newly Registered

Non-domiciled and Brexit

Post by Cirruz » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:11 pm

Hello,

Many EU nationals maintain non-domiciled status for tax purposes, although they execise their treaty rights and may even be permanent residents.

What are your views on what impact a status of non-domiciled might have in whatever registration process will happen to the EU citizens living and working in the UK?

Cheers!

secret.simon

Re: Non-domiciled and Brexit

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:19 am

Domicile as a status does not touch upon immigration in any direct manner. It affects personal matters, such as taxation, but also marriage, divorce (particularly important for people on these forums) and adoptions.

Non-domiciles can't be members of either Houses of Parliament and members of both Houses are automatically domiciled in the UK for tax purposes.

But domicile does not in any other way impinge on any other matter pertinent to these forums.

Also, as a concept of domestic common law, it is not affected by the results of the Referendum.

Further reading:
UKV&I guidance on domicile
Domicile
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.