ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US driver's license

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

PondHopper
Newly Registered
United States of America

US driver's license

Post by PondHopper » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:08 pm

Hi guys,

Had a question regarding how long my United States driving license is valid for as it's a little unclear from the .gov site.

I came over and starting working in September 2017. At that time I was living with my wife and daughter and had lived in the same house since. I have no plans to return to the United States currently. In theory I then became a resident after 185 days so in April 2018 I became a resident.

Now there are apparently two options for having the US license valid:
- 12 months from when I last visited, or...
- 12 months from when I became a resident

If I interpret that literally, then my United States license is valid until April 2019 rather than September 2018. Just wanted to double check that's correct, but you guys' understanding as well.

Thanks in advance!

Casa

Re: US driver's license

Post by Casa » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:08 pm

If you've been living in the UK since September 2017 (your post is unclear), you will no longer be able to drive on your US licence from September 2018.

A provisional UK licence will only allow you to drive while accompanied by a passenger with a full licence until you have passed the theory and practical driving test.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.