ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long do I have after finishing my Masters course ??

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

dynamicgeny
Newly Registered

How long do I have after finishing my Masters course ??

Post by dynamicgeny » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:28 pm

How long do I have after finishing my Masters course in UK to find a job and apply for a Tier1/Tier2 visa... Say if my course finishes in Sept 2013 can I stay back for next few months to find a job or do I have to leave UK as soon as my course finishes?
Thanks

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:29 pm

When does your leave expire?

dynamicgeny
Newly Registered

Post by dynamicgeny » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:38 pm

Thanks for such a prompt reply

I havent actually started my studies yet .. Have been accepted by 3 universities in UK.. Want to check the new visa regulations before accepting the offers and spending so much money on these courses..

Generally if the course is for 2 years how long is the visa approved for ? And when does it expire ?

Also .. In US once you finish your studies you get 1 year OPT to find a job and process your H1B visa.. How does it work in UK.. Now that the post study work visa has been cancelled.. what happens when I finish studying ??

htc_123
Pakistan

Post by htc_123 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:13 pm

dynamicgeny wrote:How long do I have after finishing my Masters course in UK to find a job and apply for a Tier1/Tier2 visa... Say if my course finishes in Sept 2013 can I stay back for next few months to find a job or do I have to leave UK as soon as my course finishes?
Thanks?
Things here are looking Grim for post study workers in the UK, Normally you’d have about 2-4 months after the course till your leave expires but this again varies from case to case and there is no guaranteed time frame,regardless you would at least have a month.

Realistically at this point there is no alternate to PSW so the only way to stay here is to get a sponsor which under the current economic conditions is a very rare possibility.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:11 pm

if the course is over 12 months then your visa will be issued for an additonal 4 months following the end of your course - if you want to switch into tier 2 then you need to do so in this timeframe

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:02 pm

dynamicgeny wrote:Want to check the new visa regulations before accepting the offers and spending so much money on these courses..

Also .. In US once you finish your studies you get 1 year OPT to find a job and process your H1B visa.. How does it work in UK.. Now that the post study work visa has been cancelled.. what happens when I finish studying ??
I don’t think it’s worth spending personal money with no real opportunity in Britain, I would say go some other country for instance the one you described already.
N/A

dynamicgeny
Newly Registered

Post by dynamicgeny » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:38 pm

Thanks for all the information. I do have an offer from Finland too which I might consider. Just trying to check all the bases before making a decision.

JohnM

Post by JohnM » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:23 pm

If you want a chance to stay after studies, consider Canada.

15Jan

Post by 15Jan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:47 pm

Australia.