ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 extension queries (A puzzling one)

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

wins7031

Tier 1 extension queries (A puzzling one)

Post by wins7031 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:10 pm

Hi,

I read through various postings on this website but fail to find the answer to my question.

On the extensions cost page, for main applicant and one dependent it costs £1500 + £750 if applied at the same time. Then what is the other cost line being shown if dependent is applying later i.e £1500 + £561? Is it cheaper to apply for dependent later i.e after main applicant.

Ukba says, its cheaper if both applications are done at the same time but I dont understand how

As this is a sizeable investment, any advise would be really appreciated

Regards
Wins

WRS

Post by WRS » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:12 am

Your have pointed it correctly!

I think UKBA have made a mistake in the new fee structure, as PEO are cheaper than postal! Perhaps they'll soon realize and correct it! but until then you can take benefit of going through PEO :)

mantasingh

Post by mantasingh » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:12 am

Yes, UKBa did a mistake.

Earlier it was cheaper to apply at the same time, but now it is cheaper to apply separately. :lol:

So even if you are sending your dependent application the same day, send it separately. I know it increases the documentation but it will save your few bucks.

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Re: Tier 1 extension queries (A puzzling one)

Post by rakeysh.patel » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:28 pm

wins7031 wrote:Hi,

I read through various postings on this website but fail to find the answer to my question.

On the extensions cost page, for main applicant and one dependent it costs £1500 + £750 if applied at the same time. Then what is the other cost line being shown if dependent is applying later i.e £1500 + £561? Is it cheaper to apply for dependent later i.e after main applicant.

Ukba says, its cheaper if both applications are done at the same time but I dont understand how

As this is a sizeable investment, any advise would be really appreciated

Regards
Wins
I would not class this as mistake. The fees were increased in % per the findings in individual category and somehow applying separately must have attracted < % of increment and hence the weird numbers. Enjoy while it lasts :)
An [Expensive] Immigrant journey has ended 19/08/2015. Good luck to you all out there...

aravindb4u

Post by aravindb4u » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:26 pm

Hi raxs1983,

In that case, consider I am applying for Tier 1 extension by post and my wife applying for dependant by post the next day separately. I have few doubts in filling the application form. Please help me.

E1. Were you required to register with the police as a condition of your current or last grant
of leave in the UK?

Is this required for dependants of Indian nationality?

K11. Do you intend to stay in the UK beyond the period of leave that the main applicant has been granted

If dependant is applying separately, immediately the next day of application by main applicant (both by post), should she tick Yes/No. Considering main applicant’s case not yet decided at the time of dependant’s application.

L3. Reference number of the main applicant’s most recent application to us:

Should this be Main applicant’s initial Tier 1 reference number?

L4. Date of the main applicant’s most recent application to us:

But this should be my date of application for Tier 1 extension isn’t it?

M4. Has the main applicant received notification that their application for leave to remain under the Points Based System has been successful?

Should this be Yes/No? If my dependant is applying a day after me by post?

Maintenance certified by the sponsor
N4. Tick to confirm that:
The A-rated sponsor has confirmed on the certificate of sponsorship that where necessary
they will maintain and accommodate the family member for a month.
I have provided a written undertaking from the main applicant’s A-rated sponsor

Is N4 mandatory to fill? if only main applicant (me) and my dependant are involved and no sponsors coming into picture in maintenance?

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:31 pm

E1 - not required
K11 - NO
L3 - leave blank (it is optional)
L4 - leave blank (optional)
M4 - Choose "NO"
You do not have to fill N4 if you fileld N3
An [Expensive] Immigrant journey has ended 19/08/2015. Good luck to you all out there...

aravindb4u

Post by aravindb4u » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:50 pm

Hi raxs1983,

Thanks raxs1983 for the reply

How to know that which ones are mandatory to fill and others or not?

Because earlier I have found in other thread that one of the applicant failed to give landline telephone number which is mandatory and application got invalid.

How to identify which are mandatory fields in application?

Thanks

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:55 pm

Watch out for
It is mandatory to complete Section D. Please note that this application will not be valid if this is not completed

With this at the begining of the section, you have to fill in all if not most. Other than that, keep an eye on words like "If known" etc

layman

Post by layman » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:58 am

aravindb4u wrote:
In that case, consider I am applying for Tier 1 extension by post and my wife applying for dependant by post the next day separately.
How do you plan to show evidence for maintenance funds for the 2 separate applications? ie if the bank statements have been sent with the main application? Are there any other documentary evidences that are/could be required for both the applications?

jan77

Post by jan77 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:56 pm

mantasingh wrote:Yes, UKBa did a mistake.

So even if you are sending your dependent application the same day, send it separately. I know it increases the documentation but it will save your few bucks.
How can you send the dependant application separately if both the main applicant and the dependant would want to apply at the same time? don't you need the main applicant visa page showing the grant of leave as a supporting evidence for the dependant to be granted leave to remain in the country? From experience you cannot have the two applications been treated separately at the same time with the home office. the outcome of the dependant application depends on the other(main applicant's). It is either the two together or main applicant first and the dependants follow. Do not make the mistake of joking with the dependant application been refused because of a very important proof of main applicant stay not enclosed in the dependant application. Applications not sent in the same package are treated independently and you will be lucky if they pend the dependant application till the outcome of the main applicants'. UKBA knows what they are doing by setting those fees the way it is-- USECASE (IT language) ... They want applicants with say 2 or more dependant to benefit from a reduced fees other wise they are forced to pay even more£££.

I sincerely hope you consider whether you want to risk it or do what is the right thing to do and not be penny wise pound foolish at this time. There are others waiting to learn from this test-run thing... or what can I call it ...we are pioneer immigrants at this current dispensation isn't?
The purpose of this world is God

aravindb4u

Post by aravindb4u » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:46 am

jan77 makes sense....yes not to risk in case of doubt to be honest!!

Also jan77 i had different responses with maintenance funds from June 2012.

Do you have any idea? from the below thread,

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=

My dependant is in UK less than a year and I am in UK for 3+ years now.

So Should I maintain 900+600 or 900+1800?

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ce-changes

Thanks

jan77

Post by jan77 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:05 pm

@aravindb4u,

For the maintanance here is what I can say-,

I am 100% sure that you need to maintain 900+ 600 pounds according to UKBA. do you know why? this is why?

You are already in the UK for more than 6months and up to 3 years: then you have an established presence here in the UK, you are not a newbie- you know where best to shop around for your basic needs etc.so you know your budget... but for a newbie in the UK, they and infact everyone at some point( when we newly arrive )spend unnecessary cash most often because they are new to the system. (culture shock)so that's why UKBA estimated what they(main applicants newbies) will need to maintain.- higher amount to accommodate those culture shock spendings etc -1800. when they arrive,(dependants) you show them around don't you?after all the dependents are your dependents so you are technically responsible for their experiencing uk isnt'?

It has got nothing to do with when the dependant come to join the main applicant but absolutely depends on when the main applicant arrive as such the dependant visa also depends on the main applicant's. so maintain 900+600 (per dependant).

aravindb4u

Post by aravindb4u » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:06 am

Thanks jan77....yes logically speaking its 600 per dependant if I am here more than 12 months..

But its the wordings that is ambiguous.

Hope things will be much clearer when UKBA release new policy guidance for PBS dependants in June 2012. (where they provide examples)

Until then I am maintaining 1800 per dependant just for safety.

Thanks.

layman

Post by layman » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:56 pm

jan77 wrote:
UKBA knows what they are doing by setting those fees the way it is-- USECASE (IT language) ... They want applicants with say 2 or more dependant to benefit from a reduced fees other wise they are forced to pay even more£££.
Reduced fees by applying separately? Most of the applicants apply for dependants extension at the same time, so the current fee structure just brings in more revenue!

kingbobby57

Post by kingbobby57 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:37 pm

I agree with jan77. Do not apply separately for dependent.
Apply together as dependent visa approval requires to have the main applicant visa status.
If you apply separately, you wont know what will be the status of the main applicant.

The validity of the dependent applicant also requires the valid Visa of Tier1 main applicant if you are applying separately.

aravindb4u

Post by aravindb4u » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:09 pm

ok...so if dependant is applying at the same time as main applicant by post, what should be the answers for the following questions in dependant app form?

K11. Do you intend to stay in the UK beyond the period of leave that the main applicant has been granted

Should this be Main applicant’s initial Tier 1 reference number?

But this should be my date of application for Tier 1 extension isn’t it?

mantasingh

Post by mantasingh » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:31 pm

I will still say Dependent can apply separately even if Main applicant has not received the extension visa.

Refer Dependent Application form section M and follow the questions where Dependant is applying separately.

Question M4. Has the main applicant received notification that their application for leave to remain under the Points Based System has been successful?
Yes or No.

I think there is some provision by which a dependant can send the application without even the decision being taken for main applicant.

In question L3 & L4, you can provide the details of the most recent application of Main applicant.

Agreed that this can be done only once Main applicant receives the acknowledgement letter from UKBA.

Happy to be proved wrong, but based upon the way dependent form is structured, I can say that dependent can apply separately even if Main applicant is still awaiting decision.

Reason:
Consider a scenario where Main applicant wants to play safe and sends only his file 6 months earlier than expiry. Due to some reason, UKBA has not returned his application. Now either Dependent's need to leave or file for their extension as well. There has to be a provision for dependent to apply in such scenario and this is what depicted in the Dependent form.

aravindb4u

Post by aravindb4u » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:46 pm

mantasingh...you might be right...but i dont want to take chances and will prefer peace of mind...but u might be absolutely right..

I will apply at the same time by post...In which case what should be answers for above questions in the app form?

mantasingh

Post by mantasingh » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:49 pm

NO

Leave blank or mention your first Tier 1 application number if you have.
I mentioned CGAC/XXXXXXXX/XXXXXXX/01. This was the number on my receipt from my Tier 1 General original application.

Leave blank or mention the date when you first applied for Tier 1 General.

jan77

Post by jan77 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:10 am

[quote="mantasingh"]I will still say Dependent can apply separately even if Main applicant has not received the extension visa.

I think there is some provision by which a dependant can send the application without even the decision being taken for main applicant.

In question L3 & L4, you can provide the details of the most recent application of Main applicant.

Agreed that this can be done only once Main applicant receives the acknowledgement letter from UKBA.

Happy to be proved wrong, but based upon the way dependent form is structured, I can say that dependent can apply separately even if Main applicant is still awaiting decision.
Reason:
Consider a scenario where Main applicant wants to play safe and sends only his file 6 months earlier than expiry. Due to some reason, UKBA has not returned his application. Now either Dependent's need to leave or file for their extension as well. There has to be a provision for dependent to apply in such scenario and this is what depicted in the Dependent form.

...Hum.. This situation is different from trying to save cash by applying separately at the same time, as in turning in the applications separately around the same time.

... but anyhow its better to go for the best options in individual circumstances as individual circumstances vary. Very often money cannot buy time lost! and why save cash when the benefits outweighs spending it?

I will try and ring them up to hear what they have to say concerning this case.. but sometimes their help desk persons are not trained or... and so they are keen to receive the next call and the cycle continues...
Last edited by jan77 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

hsmp1412
Member of Standing

Post by hsmp1412 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:16 am

My only worry would be - what if the dependant's application is processed faster than the main applicant's, what is to stop UKBA from granting a new leave to the dependant based on the main applicant's current leave?

jan77

Post by jan77 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:12 pm

hsmp1412 wrote:My only worry would be - what if the dependant's application is processed faster than the main applicant's, what is to stop UKBA from granting a new leave to the dependant based on the main applicant's current leave?
lol!

mantasingh

Post by mantasingh » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:01 pm

Refer this http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=101517

This looks similar case as I suggested. So this confirms that Dependent can apply separately even when Main applicant's file is under processing.