ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

advice needed RE criminal record

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ann17
Newly Registered

advice needed RE criminal record

Post by ann17 » Thu May 03, 2012 1:06 pm

My Fiance is currently applying for a fiance visa to the UK, he is from Mexico.

he served time in a US prison over 6 years ago for a short sentence for a drug possession charge. Will he be penalised by the UKBA for this with his application?
We have everything else required for his visa application...lots of proof of our relationship, I have a good job job and savings here in the UK, and permission from my landlord etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

harv

Post by harv » Thu May 03, 2012 1:26 pm

Not very easy to say...

Just make sure that all the details of the time served is added to the application with dates. Provide a covering letter explaining the circumstances then and that your fiance did not have any problems with the law after that.

If I were you I would add any references from employers, community workers, religious houses (i.e. church), friends and families. This would help to show that this incident was just one off.

Hope this helps.

PS - other board members might be in a better position to give sound advice
Feb 2012 - Spouse Visa - New Delhi
Mar 2012 - Documents collected - VISA Granted
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Apr 2015 - Applied for Naturalisation
Nov 2015 - Naturalised

ann17
Newly Registered

Post by ann17 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:00 pm

thank you very much for your reply. In your opinion would it be better if we were married and instead he applied for a spousal visa?

This is another option...

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Thu May 03, 2012 3:53 pm

An overseas criminal conviction may form the basis of a refusal if the offence would have attracted a sentence of 12 months or more in the UK.

The application should not be refused if the offence is "spent": to be honest I don't know how this applies to overseas convictions, although I would guess that the rehabilitation periods that apply to a comparable offence committed in the UK would be relevant to the decision.

What was your fiancé convicted of? What was the sentence and how long did he serve? Does the US have a rehabilitation period for the offence and if so what is it? How old was he when he committed the offence?

UKBA guidance is here:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -refusing/

Select "2. Considering Entry Clearance" and see page 53.

ann17
Newly Registered

Post by ann17 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:46 pm

it was a sentence of 30 months about 7 years ago. It was a felony for a drug related offence.... i'm not exactly sure of the details, it was before we were together. He was aged 23.
I am not sure about rehabilitation periods in the USA etc, I'm guessing that this does not look good.
If we were already married, would this make a difference to entry clearance to the UK?
This was a long time ago, and he is a considerably reformed character, obviously I am very concerned now.

Thanks

ann17
Newly Registered

Post by ann17 » Thu May 03, 2012 10:28 pm

he also only served about 8 months of the sentence....

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Fri May 04, 2012 5:10 am

No, being married would not help secure a visa more than being his fiancee would.
I tell it like it is.

ann17
Newly Registered

Post by ann17 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:30 am

ok thanks for your help. We have a baby on the way, and we have all the required documents needed for a fiance visa, this is the only thing which I think will cause a problem.
Right now I am not sure what to do.... Does anyone have any advice??

Thanks

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Wed May 09, 2012 3:08 pm

It doesn't matter what sentence was served, but was was passed - or what would have been passed for a similar offence here.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

ann17
Newly Registered

Post by ann17 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:18 am

hi yes i'm aware that if the sentence would have warranted over 12 months in the uk than effectively the conviction is deemed 'unspent'.

I just wondered if anyone had any advice as to whether this is an automatic rejection for a fiance/spousal visa application or if mitigating circumstances -baby on the way etc would make any difference!

Thanks