ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is Application by Post or by appointment, which one better?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

nmm

Is Application by Post or by appointment, which one better?

Post by nmm » Mon May 07, 2012 5:18 pm

Hi,

I am due to apply for (Tier-1 General) ILR in Nov 2012. I have seen many people who apply by post and process took around 6 months to complete. I have few questions in order to decide wheather I apply by post or by PEO appointment.

1. I have 49 days gap between Entry clearance and when I enetred UK, If I apply through post then most chances are that this gap will already be covered before they took any decision on my case? So for me applying by post is safe way due to this gap. But is it safe to apply by PEO appointment as well if you have gap like this? Is Case worker still can ignore this period?

2. I might have to officialy visit to Germany and Norway in start of 2013, so if I apply by post is it possible to get schengen visa without your passport and showing the homeoffice receipt? How do people travel normaly during the six month period while their application are in process?

3. I also wonder what could you do if you loose your job while you ILR in process? Can you find new job? Do employer accept home office receipt? How your new employer verify your visa etc? Normally for getting a new job you have to show atleast around 6 months of valid visa?

It is really strange that home office is taking so long time knowing that people have to travel or need to change jobs during that time.

So due to point 1, I am reluctant to apply by PEO appointment but due to point 2 & 3 I am more in favour of appointment. Can anyone please throw some light on this issue and help me to decide about this?

Thanks

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Mon May 07, 2012 5:42 pm

There are some consessions given to those who enter the country anywhere up to 3 months after the original entry clearance grant date. This rule would apply irrespective of whether you submit a in-person PEO application or Postal Application.

You can take a look at the UKBA case worker guidance below for further information...

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

As you say you only have a 49 day gap between the date of entry clearance visa & actual entry into the UK, I'd say it's likely that the following would apply to you...

2.2 Applications that fall short of the five year continuous period
In some cases, applicants may have been granted 5 years continuous leave, but will not have spent 5 years continuously in the UK before their current leave expires. Caseworkers may count the period between entry clearance being granted and the date the applicant entered the UK towards the 5 years, provided this period was not longer than 3 months.

legalalien

Post by legalalien » Mon May 07, 2012 9:39 pm

Agree with cs, the 49days shouldnt put you off from going PEO. It is a lot less stressful to just pay the premium and get a same day decision specially with your plans.

khalidmirza
Member of Standing

Re: Is Application by Post or by appointment, which one bett

Post by khalidmirza » Tue May 08, 2012 3:40 am

nmm wrote:Hi,

I am due to apply for (Tier-1 General) ILR in Nov 2012. I have seen many people who apply by post and process took around 6 months to complete. I have few questions in order to decide wheather I apply by post or by PEO appointment.

1. I have 49 days gap between Entry clearance and when I enetred UK, If I apply through post then most chances are that this gap will already be covered before they took any decision on my case? So for me applying by post is safe way due to this gap. But is it safe to apply by PEO appointment as well if you have gap like this? Is Case worker still can ignore this period?

90 days concession is available irrespective of PEO case or postal application. So you are well covered. See links mentioned above

2. I might have to officialy visit to Germany and Norway in start of 2013, so if I apply by post is it possible to get schengen visa without your passport and showing the homeoffice receipt? How do people travel normaly during the six month period while their application are in process?
No passport No visa of any other country. People do not travel during six months. Passport is mandatory for travelling to any country

3. I also wonder what could you do if you loose your job while you ILR in process? Can you find new job? Do employer accept home office receipt? How your new employer verify your visa etc? Normally for getting a new job you have to show atleast around 6 months of valid visa?
You can keep photocopies of your passport and home office receipt to show to new employers.

It is really strange that home office is taking so long time knowing that people have to travel or need to change jobs during that time.

So due to point 1, I am reluctant to apply by PEO appointment but due to point 2 & 3 I am more in favour of appointment. Can anyone please throw some light on this issue and help me to decide about this?
I suggest go for PEO

Thanks

nmm

Post by nmm » Tue May 08, 2012 9:59 am

Thanks khalidmirza, legalalien and cs95tdg

It will help me to take this decision

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue May 15, 2012 9:03 pm

Few days ago I posted a thread regarding applying for ILR by post or going through PEO appointment in case of late arrival in UK. Everyone adviced me that it is ok to apply through appointment. The thread is http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=

Later I sent an email to UKBA and I got a response that after reading 3/4 times I don't understand is in favor or against it, I request seniors to please read my email and their response and please help me to understand what does they mean :?

My Email to them:
-----------------------------
Dear Sir/Madam,

Can you please provide me information regarding calculation of 5 years
for ILR and PEO appointment. I am in UK on Tier-1 General visa and I
will complete my five years in UK by the end of 2012. Please find
below the dates of my visas and also the date I first entered UK.

HSMP Entry Clearance: 05 Nov 2007
Entered UK: 24 Dec 2007
Tier-1 General Ext: 05 Nov 2009
Tier-1 Valid Until: 05 Nov 2012

As you would notice from the above dates, I entered UK within 90 days
of getting HSMP Entry Clearance; and as per the ‘UKBA Modernised
Guidance for Calculating Continuous Period in UK for ILR’ my understanding is that I will be eligible to apply
for ILR/Settlement 28 days before my HSMP entry clearance start date.

I need to travel to Germany for my office work in November 2012 so I
need to book PEO appointment to get the ILR before November 2012. My
undetstanding about above rule is that it can be applicable regardless
you apply for ILR by post or by PEO appointment.

I would be really thankful to you, if you could please confirm that my
understanding is correct and I am eligible to apply by PEO appointment
for ILR 28 days before the 5th anniversary of my HSMP entry clearance
start date.

------------------

Their response as follows:
-----------------------------------------
Dear xyz,

I cannot provide advice on individual applications, but as you are aware, one of the requirements for settlement is that the applicant must have spent a continuous period of 5 years lawfully in the UK. The Secretary of State can apply discretion to disregard short absence during the 5 year period, to enable migrants to travel outside of the UK for the purpose of paid annual leave, or business. This discretion is also applied in cases where the migrant may have delayed their initial entry to the UK, provided this was for a period no longer than 3 months.

If applying for settlement at a PEO, the assessment of this requirement will be made on the day of the appointment, therefore, an applicant must ensure that they can meet the requirement on that day, taking into account any disregarded absences. The PEO appointment can be no earlier than the actual date that the applicant completes the 5 year period, regardless of the fact that they must make an application to extend their leave within 28 days of the expiry of their current leave.

In cases where the applicant has delayed their entry to the UK by less than 3 months (the delay can therefore be disregarded), and their PEO appointment is earlier than 5 years after their Entry Clearance date, they may not be allowed to submit their application at the PEO, as they will be deemed not to have yet completed the 5 year period, and will be advised to submit a postal application.

A postal application for settlement can be submitted 28 days before the expiry of current leave, as the assessment of whether the applicant has met the 5 year requirement will take into account the period of time between the application being posted, and the date of decision.

If the migrant is required to travel outside of the UK and does not wish to make a postal application, they have the option to apply to extend their current leave at a PEO, and make a subsequent application for settlement at a later date.

I trust this answers your question, but if you have any further enquiries regarding your application, please contact the Immigration Enquiry Bureau 0870 606 7766.

UK Border Agency - Settlement Ops Policy team

-----------------------------------------------
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue May 15, 2012 9:52 pm

Life isn't fair, but you can be!

fahadz1
BANNED

Re: Is Application by Post or by appointment, which one bett

Post by fahadz1 » Sun May 20, 2012 11:54 am

Thanks
i suggest you to try Solihull PEO as they check your application first then give the decision. beware HO is very very busy these days due to Olympics as they are expecting 1000's of people comming to UK.

I recently apply for security job at olympics and manager told me they are sending applications to Home office for approval so that I can work in Olympics or not and 6-7 people were refused by HO.

so HO priority is to clear these application first not any other like tier1,ilr etc.....
I recommend every one to apply in PEO so that they can instant decision and there are lots of appointments available