ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Giving up British Nationality

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

angelloveguy

Giving up British Nationality

Post by angelloveguy » Thu May 10, 2012 1:13 pm

How can someone giveup British Nationality and what is the procedure to drop Nationality and Passport and will UKBA issue any certificate for it?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu May 10, 2012 1:28 pm

See Giving up nationality.

I'm curious why you are asking. Is it in order to obtain a nationality of a country that doesn't allow dual citizenship?

You also should be aware that only adults can renounce BC.

angelloveguy

Post by angelloveguy » Thu May 10, 2012 4:19 pm

Well it's a bit funny but as you asked I wanted to let you know that Pakistan's Home Minister Rehman Malik Used to be British National and today he submitted a letter in Supreme court that he surrender his British Nationality 4 Years ago when he became Pakistani Home Minister.

So I wanted to know how he giveup his nationality and what is the procedure and will he be given any certificate from British Government for withrowing the nationality. :-)

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Thu May 10, 2012 5:17 pm

angelloveguy wrote:Well it's a bit funny but as you asked I wanted to let you know that Pakistan's Home Minister Rehman Malik Used to be British National and today he submitted a letter in Supreme court that he surrender his British Nationality 4 Years ago when he became Pakistani Home Minister.

So I wanted to know how he giveup his nationality and what is the procedure and will he be given any certificate from British Government for withrowing the nationality. :-)
Yes, he would have got a certificate if he went through the proper channels, which I presume that he did. British citizenship can be renounced only by someone who either has another citizenship or who will gain another citizenship within (I think) 6 months of the renunciation. If that has not happened, then the renunciation is considered void after 6 months and the person is still a British citizen. In other words, British citizenship can't be renounced if it would render the person stateless.

In the case that you mention, of course, the question of another citizenship is not an issue, and the renunciation was not done for the purpose of being able to acquire citizenship of a country that does not permit its citizens to hold another citizenship (the most common reason)