ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

9 years lived, 1 year left, feeling slightly frustrated

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

JohnM

9 years lived, 1 year left, feeling slightly frustrated

Post by JohnM » Tue May 22, 2012 11:22 am

Hi all dear forum members

I know some of you are wise, some of you are slightly crazy like myself but I want to share with you some of my experience anyway.

I lived in UK for 9 years legal stay now, well, 8 years and 11 months. So I will be eligible for ILR in 1 year time. Now I feel slightly frustrated with this whole wait thing.

First of all, UK is quite small island. I am myself from such a "beautiful" country originally that I need to get a visa to go anywhere except some similarly "beautiful" countries which do not include any EU country. So it seems to me that I've been everywhere in UK now. And this is quite small island, I am myself is from quite big country.

Secondly, I invested so much time and money into this country. I studied full time, I paid taxes, I employed people, etc. So now I feel kinda stupid that after living here for 9 years, I still have to wait. I have Entrepreneur visa at the moment and I do business, so I can't even easily go on holiday abroad, because if I did not need visa, it would be fast and easy. I could just go to France and lie on the beach for a week or two. But no, I need to get bloody tourist visa first. Then when I get tourist visa they often give it for exactly the amount of time you go there in single trip, like if 13 days for example, crazy, but they do it.

Thirdly, it feels quite stupid that if I have any traffic accident, if someone accuses me by mistake of some crime, etc. in the following year then it can create problems for ILR.

Anyway, I have mixed feelings now. On one hand I am glad it is only 1 year left, on the other hand, I'm getting more and more frustrated.

I probably need a holiday. And not in the UK... LOL.

I know there are worse problems in life but still it frustrates me. So wanted to put it off my chest. Maybe someone was in similar situation and could share how they relaxed themselves, etc. But please don't tell me they can cancel 10 years route, firstly, it won't affect me, too little time left, secondly, I don't care, I will then be eligible on another route soon anyway.

I just have this feeling that I can't relax during next year... :shock:

frey80

Re: 9 years lived, 1 year left, feeling slightly frustrated

Post by frey80 » Tue May 22, 2012 1:09 pm

JohnM wrote:Hi all dear forum members

I know some of you are wise, some of you are slightly crazy like myself but I want to share with you some of my experience anyway.

I lived in UK for 9 years legal stay now, well, 8 years and 11 months. So I will be eligible for ILR in 1 year time. Now I feel slightly frustrated with this whole wait thing.

First of all, UK is quite small island. I am myself from such a "beautiful" country originally that I need to get a visa to go anywhere except some similarly "beautiful" countries which do not include any EU country. So it seems to me that I've been everywhere in UK now. And this is quite small island, I am myself is from quite big country.

Secondly, I invested so much time and money into this country. I studied full time, I paid taxes, I employed people, etc. So now I feel kinda stupid that after living here for 9 years, I still have to wait. I have Entrepreneur visa at the moment and I do business, so I can't even easily go on holiday abroad, because if I did not need visa, it would be fast and easy. I could just go to France and lie on the beach for a week or two. But no, I need to get bloody tourist visa first. Then when I get tourist visa they often give it for exactly the amount of time you go there in single trip, like if 13 days for example, crazy, but they do it.

Thirdly, it feels quite stupid that if I have any traffic accident, if someone accuses me by mistake of some crime, etc. in the following year then it can create problems for ILR.

Anyway, I have mixed feelings now. On one hand I am glad it is only 1 year left, on the other hand, I'm getting more and more frustrated.

I probably need a holiday. And not in the UK... LOL.

I know there are worse problems in life but still it frustrates me. So wanted to put it off my chest. Maybe someone was in similar situation and could share how they relaxed themselves, etc. But please don't tell me they can cancel 10 years route, firstly, it won't affect me, too little time left, secondly, I don't care, I will then be eligible on another route soon anyway.

I just have this feeling that I can't relax during next year... :shock:
em... agree but you might regret later for not to wait another year, so be patient in order for that not to happen

nam1234
Newly Registered

nearly everyone in the same boat

Post by nam1234 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:36 pm

nearly everyone in the same boat but it is life!
Last edited by nam1234 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loveislovely
- thin ice -

Post by Loveislovely » Tue May 22, 2012 9:28 pm

I was worried sick myself, when I was waiting for my 10th year, it is finally here, it creeps on me, I was shocked, anyway, I am just waiting to find out if my application will be successful as I have applied since Feb..... I am sure your 10th year will arrive before you realise it. Good luck to all of you.

Loveislovely
All for one, one for all..... Peace

JohnM

Post by JohnM » Tue May 22, 2012 11:42 pm

Well, what can I say?

GREAT ANSWERS FOLKS!

About feelings if it was worth it. I am sure it is worth it. Look at world history. Yes, Britain sucks sometimes, but overall it is much better. And if you feel you're loosing something, just go ahead and do whatever you think is important as soon as you grab ILR/Passport. At least this is what I am going to do!

Today I went jogging for one and half hours - it helped a lot! :D

Great answers anyway. I am not going to be sick for a year, just wanted to put it off my chest. I see there are other people here in similar situations, so it's fine, we will be fine!

And remember, this citizenship thing - it is like a deal. You own to this country the same amount of energy as it owns you. So if you feel you're loosing something, just go ahead and see the world (after ILR), with your British Passport :wink: :wink: :wink:

JohnM

Post by JohnM » Tue May 22, 2012 11:48 pm

Loveislovely wrote:I was worried sick myself, when I was waiting for my 10th year, it is finally here, it creeps on me, I was shocked, anyway, I am just waiting to find out if my application will be successful as I have applied since Feb..... I am sure your 10th year will arrive before you realise it. Good luck to all of you.

Loveislovely
I feel you so well :shock:

You see, I think it is psychological thing. When 90% is behind and only 10% left, you kind of think "Oh my god! Why the hell should I still go this 10%!?".

But you did it, don't be worried now! Nice to see your message, we are in the same shoes as they say. Well, I am sure you will benefit from your British citizenship very well because I see you made this journey and you value it. You must be very smart and persistent person! 8)

JohnM

Re: 9 years lived, 1 year left, feeling slightly frustrated

Post by JohnM » Tue May 22, 2012 11:49 pm

em... agree but you might regret later for not to wait another year, so be patient in order for that not to happen
Wise words, wise words... :!:

JohnM

Re: nearly everyone in the same boat

Post by JohnM » Tue May 22, 2012 11:51 pm

nam1234 wrote:So, you are not alone. I'm also completing my 10 years and I had to go through so many difficulties. At the end I'm thinking was it worth?
Certainly, if you want to visit commonwealth countries then it is fine.
However, I'm interested only in EU as I'm from continent.
Paying full fees for 10 years, having only part-time work. Of course, in return I have good qualifications but can I find a decent job? I have to do my best.
The most annoying thing is, my little child's dad is english/british who doesn't want to accept her. He is paying maintenance and nothing more. She still holds my dependant visa. So, no access to any child benefits for last 6 years. Luckily my family members are helping me to take look after her when I'm at college or so.
She denies my native country, saying she is only english )-; as she knows who is her dad (running away from all responsibility). I'm sure this is why I'm here, to try to give her her dad's citizenship.
It is really anoying things but it is life!!!
You seem to be little sad sometimes but overall you're very positive and strong person. I am sure it was worth it for you. And if you will decide, you will achieve any goals you want and British passport will help you a lot in it. You also have great family, which is also very good. So good luck to you but I am sure you will be fine! :wink: