ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Class 2 NI - Self employment proof

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Bijuk

Class 2 NI - Self employment proof

Post by Bijuk » Thu May 24, 2012 10:05 am

Hi

I have re registered on HMRC again for self employment. During my re registration on phone,HMRC told me as my income through permanent employment is above 42k per year , they will send me a form to fill so that i can be excluded from the Class 2 NI payment. Can anyone confirm this? if i don't make class 2 NI payment , what's the proof that i am doing Self employment ? HMRC person told me he can send me self employment registration letter ..is that enough for my next years extension?.. Experts please advice

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu May 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Employed and self-employed tax and National Insurance
I am no expert in tax matters but I think you are liable to Class 2 NI contributions if you are self-employed ... irrespective of your employment with an employer.

That said, how do you operate as self-employed?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

AccountantMatthew
Member of Standing

Post by AccountantMatthew » Fri May 25, 2012 2:07 pm

Take a look here for more information:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/working/intro/em ... oyed.htm#4
Please don't private message me or e-mail me for free personal advice - you are just wasting your time writing something that won't get answered.
Anything written here shouldn't be construed as being formal advice given in a professional capacity.

Bijuk

Post by Bijuk » Mon May 28, 2012 7:28 am

AccountantMatthew wrote:Take a look here for more information:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/working/intro/em ... oyed.htm#4
thanks a lot

"Class 1 contributions on weekly employment earnings of at least £817 for the whole tax year (2011-12 rate)"

The above line from the link you provided clarifies it ..as i am earning above that through my employment , i dont need to pay class 2 NI for self employment..

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Mon May 28, 2012 8:53 am

I believe the link provided states that "you may defer payment of Class 2 NI contributions" subject to certain conditions ... and not that "you don't need to ... ever". I hope you appreciate the difference.

See also When to make your deferment application

But, like I said, I am no tax expert. So I stand to be corrected.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!