ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life in UK Test

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Anand_2012
Newly Registered

Life in UK Test

Post by Anand_2012 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:29 pm

Hi All,

I was planning to write the life in uk test in August 1st week with the current 2nd edition book.

UKBA is planning to change the test this autum.

My question is if I go ahead and write the test and pass in August and if the test is changed in say oct 2012. Can I use the test certificate from August 2012 and apply for my ILR in December 2012 or would UKBA say any new ILR applicants need the new test certificate?

Thanks,
Anand

orionsbelt
Newly Registered

Changes to Life in UK Test

Post by orionsbelt » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:30 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18662531lease see this link

Theresa May 'planning changes to immigrant test'
Immigrants may have to learn the first verse of the national anthem. Continue reading the main story

Home Secretary Theresa May is reported to be planning changes to the test taken by foreign nationals who wish to become British citizens.

The Life in the United Kingdom test was introduced by Labour in 2005.

The Sunday Times says immigrants will be told "historically the UK is a Christian country".

The revised version will focus less on the practicalities of daily living in Britain and require more knowledge of British history and achievements.

The paper says immigrants will also have to learn the first verse of the national anthem before they can become UK citizens.

Mrs May is understood to have scrapped sections of the test which dealt with claiming benefits and the Human Rights Act.

Putting our culture and history at the heart of the citizenship test will help ensure those permanently settling can understand British life allowing them to properly integrate into our society”

Home Office
Instead potential immigrants will be expected to learn about Byron, the Duke of Wellington, Shakespeare and other historical and cultural figures.

The new version of the handbook, expected to be issued in the autumn, will include sections about key battles, such as Trafalgar, and British inventions and discoveries.

A Home Office spokesperson told the BBC: "Putting our culture and history at the heart of the citizenship test will help ensure those permanently settling can understand British life allowing them to properly integrate into our society."

The handbook is the basis of a 45-minute test which potential citizens can take at one of 90 centres around the UK.

Sultana Razia, who came to the UK from Bangladesh five years ago, has already failed the test once in her quest to become a British citizen.

"If you want to live here, you have to know all the information - all the rules and the way of living here and the culture here," she told BBC News.

"The test is important, it's quite hard but it's important."

Alp Mehmet, vice chairman of the Migration Watch think tank, welcomed the planned changes.

People who do speak English, who are born and brought up here, we would find it very, very difficult to pass so how will they pass?”
End Quote
BSGS College director Habib Mirza
"People are almost encouraged to see what they can get out of the country rather than what they can contribute," he told BBC News.

"And I think that the emphasis moving towards people having an understanding of the country they're joining effectively - becoming citizens of - is absolutely right."

But Habib Mirza, who runs citizenship courses at BSGS College, in Whitechapel, east London, said proposed changes would represent "a massive barrier for anybody who wants to settle down in the United Kingdom, the vast majority of whom cannot speak English anyway".

"People who do speak English, who are born and brought up here, we would find it very, very difficult to pass so how will they pass?"

And he said asking people from non-Christian backgrounds to learn the National Anthem "might be against their religious beliefs, it might be against their personal beliefs" and it was therefore "unfair".

orionsbelt
Newly Registered

Re August Test

Post by orionsbelt » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:39 am

Hi Anand

The Gov and border Agency are continually updating the rules, however if you have passed the test this August, it is very unlikey that they will say you will need to take the revised test.
Just think about it hundreds of people take the test maybe 1/2 years before they apply for ILR as my wife did, its unreal, unfair and morrly wrong to demand these people retake the test.

Also take the test as soon as possible you might need 2/3 attempts to pass.
Good luck

cobra

Re: Life in UK Test

Post by cobra » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:45 pm

Anand_2012 wrote:Hi All,

I was planning to write the life in uk test in August 1st week with the current 2nd edition book.

My question is if I go ahead and write the test and pass in August and if the test is changed in say oct 2012. Can I use the test certificate from August 2012 and apply for my ILR in December 2012 or would UKBA say any new ILR applicants need the new test certificate?

Thanks,
Anand
No worry, your pass certificate will remain valid.
http://lifeintheuktest.ukba.homeoffice. ... er_10.html

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Re: Life in UK Test

Post by cs95tdg » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:26 pm

Anand_2012 wrote:Hi All,

Thanks,
Anand
If you do take the test before the new one is introduced then the result will be valid indefinitely based on the current rules (this is unlikely to change).

What you will need to keep an eye out for though is the date the new test will be introduced. I.e. beginning of August or later, as you will not want be in a situation where you have prepared for the old test and then have to take the new one (i.e. if the new test comes into effect on or before your actual test date). I'll be doing the same as I plan to take the test in early August, so am watching this space for any news.