ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for Naturalization/British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rockstar2k4

Post by rockstar2k4 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:34 am

Dear All,

Currently I'm on ILR and Now am eligible to apply for Naturalization, am bit in confusion to take make an application as I'll be getting married in Dec'12.

1 .Could you someone pls advise does it make any difference if I submit application now (when I'm single) or after the marriage?

2. Suppose if I make an application myself immediately and if processing times takes longer than expected say beyond December, then how can i get Dependent VISA for my wife, will it be on the ILR ?

hope my questions make sense.

Thanks
Rocky

zishi

Post by zishi » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:53 am

1. It doesn't make any difference if you apply now or after your marriage.

2. You can apply for you wife's visa on the basis of ILR.

Experts here may be able to shed some more light.

PG1983

Post by PG1983 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:11 pm

You haven't mentioned this but I'm assuming that your wife to be is a foreign citizen and currently outside the UK.

1. It doesn't make a difference if you appy through NCS so you'll get to retain your documents. You can then appy for dependent visa for your wife post marriage.

2. The dependent visa will be on the basis of your status at the time of application.

One thing that could possibly make a difference is if your currrent nationality allows dual citizenship(India doesn't). If you've got the Biritish citizenship but not had time to apply for a British passport and need to travel abroad for the marriage it might be a problem. Hope this helps.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:48 pm

The spouse visa for ILR holders and British citizens is the exact same visa so if she applies while you still on ILR, you becoming British later would not make a difference.

b2v
Newly Registered

Post by b2v » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:28 am

I am applying for Naturalisation having been granted PR on the 1st of june 2012 as a spouse of an EU Citizen.I had an appointment today at the NCS to apply for naturalisation.The lady that attended to me was very polite and photocopied all my documents.She did go through my documents and advised that inorder to qualify for naturalisation,I need to have been issued PR for atleast 1 Year.Nevertheless,i can still apply on the basis of my marriage to an EU whom had been present in the UK in the last Six Years (with proofs of being in employment).

She,re-booked another appointment for the 30th of July and requested that I should bring the following documents which doesnt seem to be any problem;

Wife's Passport (available)
Last 6 years P60s/Pay slips (only 5 years available)
Marriage Certificate (Already submitted)

But when i asked her if this is a new law as I have never read about such on the home office website or on this forum and she placed a call,(probably to the home office for confirmation) and told me that the reason was due to the fact that I have not had PR for upto 1 year and inorder to be qualified for Naturalisation i need for have PR for atleast 1 Year but if applying on the basis of my marriage to an EU,i would qualify for naturalisation.However,I need to present the above documents to qualify for Naturalisation.

Although I and my wife are still married and living together but I would like to know if these additional documents are necessary.

Please,if this is the case,i need suggestions and advise from members that have had similar experience and what the outcome was.

Thanks,

BV

rockstar2k4

Post by rockstar2k4 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:35 am

Thank you all for the inputs.

If the approval is done when I'm in abroad and letter is sent to my address say Dec 2012 ( I am not going for ceremony till I come back in Jan'13 end/beginning of Feb 2013 so still not naturalised ). At this stage after my marriage Around 7th of Jan 2013 I want to apply for ILR dependent visa.

My query -

1. Please suggest what I am doing above by applying dependent visa on basis of ILR at this stage is correct/valid or do I need to take British passport and apply for dependent visa ?

2. Can I put on hold to take the Ceremony until I come back (definitely withing 3 months)

Thanks
Rocky

Mauser1905
Member of Standing

Re: Applying for Naturalization/British Citizenship

Post by Mauser1905 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:52 pm

rockstar2k4 wrote:Thank you all for the inputs.

1. Please suggest what I am doing above by applying dependent visa on basis of ILR at this stage is correct/valid or do I need to take British passport and apply for dependent visa ?

2. Can I put on hold to take the Ceremony until I come back (definitely withing 3 months)

Thanks
Rocky
1)Either ways, I dont see any significant difference. Your wife will be getting dependent visa only; irrespective of you holding ILR on your foreign passport or a standalone British passport.

2) You need to get in touch with local council where you are taking citizenship ceremony within 21 days of the date on your invitation letter. And you must undertake citizenship ceremony within 90 days of the date on letter of invitation. If you fail then you have to re-apply for naturalisation again!

rockstar2k4

Post by rockstar2k4 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:33 pm

Thanks again,
But is that Ok to apply for wife's dependent visa on ILR even having approval letter(not yet naturalised)?

Pls advise.

Brighteyes
- thin ice -

Post by Brighteyes » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:39 am

rockstar2k4 wrote:Thanks again,
But is that Ok to apply for wife's dependent visa on ILR even having approval letter(not yet naturalised)?

Pls advise.
Jambo
Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:48 pm Post subject:
The spouse visa for ILR holders and British citizens is the exact same visa so if she applies while you still on ILR, you becoming British later would not make a difference.