ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BC application for a family

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Cosmos

BC application for a family

Post by Cosmos » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:56 pm

Hi experts,

My question is regarding a family application.

As much as I've been able to read, could you please confirm this is correct:

I'll be the main applicant with my husband. In total we need 2 referees and after the BC is granted we register our son? Is that right?

Many thanks in advance

Glc

Post by Glc » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:25 pm

Both you and your husband each need to submit an application form as all naturalsation application are considered individual. Hence, both of you should also have two referees each (although you may have the same set of referees). Was your son born After you obtained your ILR? If yes, then he's entitled to be registered as BC as soon as you got your ILR.

Cosmos

Post by Cosmos » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:27 am

Thanks so much for your help Glc.

My son was born before we got ILR so in that case what should I do please?

blay1

Post by blay1 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:21 am

If your son was born before you got your ILR and also your wife has ILR your son is entitled to register as a british citizen by filling the MN1 form I should think.

Glc

Post by Glc » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:54 am

You may apply for your child assuming that he is under 18 because otherwise he needs to apply for BC as an adult. The type of application depends on your son's circumstances.

I suggest that you read through the MN1 guide first since this has all the basic information you need about children's BC application:

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... de_mn1.pdf

You can also read through the FAQs posted in this forum with regards to Adult and children's naturalisation application:

http://immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=95747

Cosmos

Post by Cosmos » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:07 am

blay1 wrote:If your son was born before you got your ILR and also your wife has ILR your son is entitled to register as a british citizen by filling the MN1 form I should think.
Dear blay1, I have checked MN1 link below and says that 'under discretion' they kids of a parent who gets BC can be naturalised.

So after the parents are granted BC, do they just register him or they do everything at the same time when applying?

Thanks in advance

Glc

Post by Glc » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:23 pm

Hi, cosmos. Is your son present in the uk now? If he is, then once you apply for naturalisation, you may also consequently apply for his registration as British Citizen (under section 3(1)). You need not wait for your naturalisation approval before doing this. How old is your son, by the way?

It's really important that you read through the guide/links I sent you. I'm quite sure you'll find the answers to most of your queries there. Best of luck.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:23 pm

blay1 wrote:If your son was born before you got your ILR and also your wife has ILR your son is entitled to register as a british citizen by filling the MN1 form I should think.
True if the child was born in the UK (which I'm not sure is the case here).

Cosmos

Post by Cosmos » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:28 am

Glc wrote:Hi, cosmos. Is your son present in the uk now? If he is, then once you apply for naturalisation, you may also consequently apply for his registration as British Citizen (under section 3(1)). You need not wait for your naturalisation approval before doing this. How old is your son, by the way?

It's really important that you read through the guide/links I sent you. I'm quite sure you'll find the answers to most of your queries there. Best of luck.
Thanks a lot Glc.

My son is 12 yo and as I said before he wasn't born here.

I'll read the guidance with more detail but is pretty much clear now.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:42 am

Cosmos wrote:Dear Experts,

We are applying for BC and my son's father lives in another country and I'm separated and now married with someone else.

On the form MN1 there are questions about the biological father concent.

What should I do? Just sign myself and explain that the father lives away

Thanks
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:43 am

Life isn't fair, but you can be!