ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

American marrying Canadian

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

diddy2
Newly Registered

American marrying Canadian

Post by diddy2 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:18 pm

I am a US citizen getting married to a Canadian. He owns a Canadian business, but I'm not sure where we are going to live! How do we go about making our marriage legal in both countries? And are we both allowed to work in the other country after marriage? I am so confused! Should I try to get dual-citizenship? I have tried to find information on this, but honestly, I am not very good at searches!
Thanks for your help.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:06 pm

Best approach is to take a short term say 1-2 year view then a long term view say 5+ years in terms of where you want to live. Economic factors tend to determine this i.e. where can you both be in employment/ self employment. Your marriage in either country would be recognised in the other. The citizen spouse then needs to sponsor the non citizen spouse for residency - in the US conditional then permanent in Canada permanent. Permanent residency would then lead on to citizenship if the qualifying criteria in particular maintaining residency is met - this would take as a minimum 4 years. For Canada go to the Citizenship and Immigration site and for the US go to the Bureau of Citizenship services - use any search engine. Have a look there then come back with specific queries. Note its easier/ smoother if you are intending to live in the US for the non US spouse to enter the US on a K1 aka fiance/ee visa then marry and thereafter adjust status.

good luck

diddy2
Newly Registered

Post by diddy2 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:31 pm

Oh boy, that sounds like a lot! :shock: Thank you for your time and the reply. I will visit the sites you suggested..