ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship WITHOUT ILR?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mancanc
Newly Registered

British Citizenship WITHOUT ILR?

Post by mancanc » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi,

i have been in the UK (on a spousal Visa of a British Citizen) for 3 three years. My wife (the BC) and I have both been working in the UK since we came back. i now wish to apply for British Citizenship, however, from reading the UKBA, i am confused as to whether or not i should apply for ILR beforehand. my currently i hold a residence card of a family member of an EEA national, which is valid until march 2015.

any information/advice would be grately appreciated - i have just passed the Life in the UK test. I dont mind having to apply for ILR, but it would save me a good chunk of money is i was able to bypass this!?

thanks in advance

mcovet
BANNED

Post by mcovet » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:18 pm

How come you have both FLR(M) and a Residence Card? Technically under eu law you automatically acquire Permament residence only after 5 years. and being married for 3 you must use the internal route and apply for ILR as at the date of applying to be naturalised u must be free from immigratiom restrictions which u clearly are NOT! So yeah, u do need ILR. Although if u r already on the eea route, i cannot see how u can switch to the internal route getting first flr(m) etc.

But to make it clearer, tell us how did u get both FLR(M) and a RC? How did u use the eea route? Surinder singh or u divorced ur first eea fam member?