ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

K1 visa & past overstay

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jpatel74
Newly Registered

K1 visa & past overstay

Post by jpatel74 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:15 am

I overstayed my F1 visa in US by 3 years.I left US 1 year back. I am planning to marry a US citizen. For this I need K1 visa to go to US. Is my past overstay cause of concern for me?

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:37 pm

Overstays of more than 1 year lead to a 10 year ban from the US....you can get a waiver but this requires you to demonstrate extreme hardship to your US citizen spouse/kids. For this reason waivers are very rare. Students are unlikely to get the ban since they have D/S on their I-94 unless an immigration hearing required you to leave the US (e.g. you were found to be in violation of your F-1 status by say working illegaly) and you stayed on in the US afterwards for more than 1 year? How did you depart the US - voluntary, deported etc?

jpatel74
Newly Registered

Post by jpatel74 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:01 pm

I left US voluntarily.There was no immigration hearing of any kind.But I overstayed after denial of my Adjustment of Status application.