ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizen or British Subject

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

weiser

British Citizen or British Subject

Post by weiser » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:19 am

Hi - I recently come across the article about Prof John Tulloch, which made me question my status. I was born in Pakistan but have a British Passport, I have lived here since 1979. I got the passprt through my father who I believe received British Citizenship through his work.

I (with my wife & daughter) am planning in the near future to go back to Pakistan and live there. I plan to apply for the Pakistan passport (which I have never had as my name was put on my mothers passport when I arrived in the UK)

I also have a daughter who was born here and has a British passport.

Would I loose my nationality/passport if I applied for the Pakistan passport?

This is the statement from UKBA "If you are a British subject otherwise than by connection with the Republic of Ireland you will lose that status on acquiring any other nationality or citizenship"

genorp

Post by genorp » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:27 pm

That's a tricky question due to the various citizenship laws that went into effect as the Empire became the Commonwealth. You might need to seek professional clarification. In the mean time, out of curiosity, assuming you have the red passport and not the old blue one, does it say European Union on the top of the front cover?
Look at this description on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Subject_passport

It shows the difference in passports between British Citizen and British Subject.

weiser

Post by weiser » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:09 pm

Hi

Appreciate you replying.

I was born in Pakistan in 1973. The link you provided was very useful, hadn't come across that site before.

In there it states "On 1 January 1983, upon the coming into force of the British Nationality Act 1981, every Citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies became either a British Citizen, British Dependent Territories Citizen or British Overseas Citizen.
The use of the term "British subject" was discontinued for all persons who fell into these categories, or who had a national citizenship of any other part of the Commonwealth."

Would that mean if I obtained my British passport which was blue/black at the time before 1983 that I am not a British citizen?

The passport I have now says European Union the top and so does my daughters who was born in 2010?

Thanks