ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unmarried Partners Visa to Indef Remain to stay

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

stdabhaidh
Newly Registered

Unmarried Partners Visa to Indef Remain to stay

Post by stdabhaidh » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:35 pm

Presently, I am in the UK on an unmarried partners visa. This visa will expire mid-March 2007. I am American. My partner (same sex) and I terminated our relationship in August. I have full time employment and have been completely self supporting for the 3.5 years that I have resided in the UK. My former partner and I are not speaking nor continuing to cohabitate at this point. However on paper (bills, credit cards etc..) it looks as if we still live together.

What I am wondering is if there is anyway that I can proceed with an indefinite leave to remain visa without involving my former partner. We were together for 4 years. I was told that there might be some sort of sympathetic grounds by which I could apply to stay. I would like to continue living and working in the UK and wish not to return to the US if I can avoid it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

busubi

Re: Unmarried Partners Visa to Indef Remain to stay

Post by busubi » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:45 pm

stdabhaidh wrote:My former partner and I are not speaking nor continuing to cohabitate at this point. However on paper (bills, credit cards etc..) it looks as if we still live together.

What I am wondering is if there is anyway that I can proceed with an indefinite leave to remain visa without involving my former partner.
You would have to steal His/Her passport and forge His/Her signature on the application. You'll end up being deported!

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:38 pm

Come on, busubi....
Read the whole question before you jump in with both feet.
I don't think stdabhaidh is proposing committing a criminal act. I think he/she is looking for another way of staying in UK following the break-up of the relationship.
I don't know the answer, but I hope someone will be along who does.
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:12 pm

stdabhaidh,

Your stay in the UK is dependent on your relationship subsisting. It obviously isn't and thus technically the Home Office could find you to be in breach of your conditions and liable for removal from the UK. This is is likely not an issue until your visa renewal stage. Get your employer to sponsor a WP or apply for the HSMP scheme if eligible - you would have to return to the US to get the relevant visa on the basis of your WP or HSMP approval letter. Your circumstances do not indicate any aspect of sympathy on the part of the Home Office - read stop clutching at any straw....such would be only in the most compelling of circumstances e.g. you've lived in the UK for 9 years having arrived here at say age 6 and your are orphaned.

By the way I have some empathy for busubi - it is possible to read/miscontrue from the 'on paper we are living together' comment coupled with the 'go it alone' approach by the OP a potential for a misrepresentation of a material fact.

good luck

stdabhaidh
Newly Registered

Unmarried Partner Visa - Indefinite remain to stay

Post by stdabhaidh » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:10 pm

Thanks to all those that have responded to my former post. I have a new question. As previously stated, my same sex partner and I of 4 years split up in August. My visa for indefinite remain to stay is due to be renewed in March. My ex-partner has consented to proceed with the relevent paperwork in spite of our having broken up. However, his concern is about the chances of the Home Office investigating or finding out that we have actually ended our relationship and what are the ramifications if any for him?

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:30 pm

Well you live and learn...

There was I, rebuking busubi for jumping to the conclusion that you were intending to attempt to gain ILR by deception, and here are you, proposing that very thing.

Sorry busubi...

I'm locking this topic, stdabhaidh - you might like to look at rule 3 - here
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....