ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

divorced applying for british citizen ship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mamakat
Newly Registered

divorced applying for british citizen ship

Post by mamakat » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:31 pm

hi
Im new to this group and would appreciate your help.
I was a married to a BC and obtained ILR in Jan 2010. Our marriage broke down before i could apply for British citizenship. Our divorce was finalised January 2012.
I wanted some advice as to weather I can still apply for BC, and what are the chances of my application being successful.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:33 am

You can apply if you have completed five years of residence in the UK.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... uirements/

bobobo

Post by bobobo » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:21 pm

sorry lucapooka if the OP already had ILR in 2010, then cant he apply for BC now as 1 year has passed. I am not sure why does the 5 year residency rule kick in. assuming he woudl apply on the basis of mariage to a BC, Sinice divorce was finalised in 2012 I think BC can be applied for even now.

am I missing something,
Lucapooka wrote:You can apply if you have completed five years of residence in the UK.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... uirements/

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:22 pm

To apply for naturalization after only three years of residence, it is necessary to be married to a British Citizen, otherwise the standard residence requirement is five years. He's no longer married to a BC! The fact that he was married to a BC in the past is not relevant to his current situation. The OP has not said if he has already been in the UK for five years so I can't say if he is eligible now or whether he needs to wait.

mamakat
Newly Registered

BC

Post by mamakat » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:02 pm

hi
I have been living in the Uk legally for 10 years, was previoiusly on a student visa before going on a spouse visa
Thank you for your responses

noble72uk
- thin ice -

Re: BC

Post by noble72uk » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:41 pm

mamakat wrote:hi
I have been living in the Uk legally for 10 years, was previoiusly on a student visa before going on a spouse visa
Thank you for your responses
As some nice people already told you the requirments for application is 5 legal Years and one year after the ILR, which is your case. you can apply now, to avoid any risk use the NCS office they will check your Residence before submitting your application to the UKBA.

mamakat
Newly Registered

BC

Post by mamakat » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:40 pm

many thanks